Bonding and C-sections?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Just curious...

For those that do NCB and have not had a c/s, do you believe it would have an affect on your bonding with the baby afterwards if for some reason a c/s was necessary?

Or for those that have had a c/s, do you think it had an affect on bonding with your baby?

I'm not saying that a bond wouldn't form (or wasn't formed), just wondering if you think it would have an impact in some way.
March 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If anything, I bonded with her more just because I felt so terrible about the way she came into the world that I wanted to make it up to her. Even when I was suffering PTSD and in just a fog and not really moving forward or interacting with anyone in a meaningful way, I wanted to love on my baby. I loved holding her, touching her, watching her sleep...We are very attached. I can only hope to love future babies so much.

Now it has been widely studied that PPD is more likely to occur if you have a c/s, and PPD can of course affect bonding.

March 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was transferred with my midwife to the hospital, which I think really affected the outcome of bonding. I had DD in my arms as soon as I was stitched up. She was not washed yet, and still bloody and cheesy. I was able to breastfeed her in recovery, right away. She did not leave me, except for a hearing test, the rest of the time in the hospital. I had no issues with my milk coming in, probably because i was in labor for 26 hours. I feel like my bonding was as good as it could have been post csection. A friend recently had a csection and did not see her baby for three hours. Same dr, same hospital, birth center patient. I think I was very vocal about my wishes though.

March 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
My water breaking was the first sign of labor. 23 hours later, I was still only 4cm dialated and was running a temp of 103 ... the doctor apologized profusely but said she had to get the baby out. As soon as she was out, I was able to hold her. We were separated while they took all the measurements and performed their inital tests. I was able to hold her again on the way back to the room and even was able to breastfeed her while they cleaned me up. So there were no bonding issues. And although I wanted a natural childbirth, I kept in mind that it might not go that way.
March 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I had a c-section with my last and I think we bonded amazingly. It was definitely different, but all my births have been. She nursed SO well, immediately, and I think that made a huge impact on our bond. I also kept her with me in the hospital and just had the nurses help with diaper changes and such if DH wasn't there.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of your responses about having sections make me feel a little better. I am so terrified of having one due to the bonding and breastfeeding issues!! I think the idea of major surgery and recovery is a complete afterthought for me. I am scared of not seeing or holding the baby for hours after birth and the effect on BF'ing. My hospital is NCB friendly up until a point (or so I think) but I have had uncomplicated births so far, so I am scared of what would happen if I did need a c/s... how their views would change or what their policies are regarding post c/s procedure.

I am glad that you all didn't have bonding/BF'ing issues!!! Makes me happy!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search