I thought I was going into pre-term labor and I totally freaked.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Well, I went to L&D yesterday because of false labor. I was just so scared about so many things, and I started having a panic attack (seeing spots in eyes and face tingling from hyperventilation). I just kept thinking about my post before, about whether or not you could still have a baby naturally at, say, 33 weeks. I was sooooo upset that I wouldn't be able to use the birthing center, and I was already afraid that they'd push the epidural on me if I actually went into full-blown labor. I was afraid that, since I didn't know what was best for my baby at just 33 weeks, that they'd try to convince me that it was better for him or something. And, at the time, I didn't know what I'd do! I feel a little discouraged, because the contractions were scary enough as it was, and I wasn't even in labor. I'm hoping that, when labor actually happens (hopefully after 36 weeks), I won't be so scared because it will feel more healthier, if that makes sense. It'll be what's SUPPOSED to happen, kwim? Going into labor at 33 weeks wouldn't be what's "supposed" to happen.

I guess I just need encouragement. I feel like, under different circumstances, I would have acted differently. But I feel like such a huge wuss right now, and I want to still firmly believe that I can do a NCB. Thanks for reading, ladies!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 11th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Super Mommy
I just want to encourage you in that...though many people who are pro NCB give them impression all hospitals are bad...(i'm not saying anyone here does that, I'm just saying that just as people who are pro c-section make us feel crazy for wanting a NCB, sometimes NCB activists generalize about hospitals.. ..) not all hospitals push epidurals and c-sections. I had a very medicalized birth in a hospital...and if you go in there with confidence (if you seem unsure, they are more likely to ask if you want something) and be very up front about your wishes for NCB and tell them outright not to even offer you an epi...tell them that if they want to know how your pain is to ask your dh! They will probably be okay. Especially if your midwife will still be with you. I was very up front with my doctors (no midwife) and nurses and they never once asked me if I wanted something for the pain. They were wonderful.

I know all hospitals and nurses are different, but don't stress about this stuff...so many times your experience is what YOU make of it and I worry that if you go into it with preconceived notions and being stressed about if they'll bug you about pain meds etc that you will focus on that and it might distract you from concentrating on YOUR goal of a NCB. Many people have successful, beautiful NCB's in hospitals...and if it comes down to it, I bet you will too!!! Be confident mama. Make sure your support team knows your wishes and make your dh your "protector"...a line of defense between you and silly nurses!

On a side note, I'm glad you weren't in pre-term labor and that things are okay! Here are some "stay in baby" vibes for the next few weeks at least!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 11th, 2010, 07:18 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I do agree- I had my daughter in a hospital and no one ever offered me drugs or anything like that. I did choose a small, NCB hospital for that exact reason.

Did the contractions stop on their own or did they give you something to make them stop?
March 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Thanks, ladies. I just wasn't in the right mindset because of how scared I was. It was just NOT a good experience the whole way through.

And yes, thankfully my contractions stopped on their own. Pretty much as soon as I got there, got undressed, laid down in the bed and relaxed, they just tapered right off. It was actually frustrating for me, because they didn't catch any contractions on the monitor after they hooked me up (well, duh, because they'd already stopped by that point, lol), and I was embarrassed that they'd think I'd made it up, or that I didn't know what my own body was doing.

But, in the end, I can only look on the bright side that I was NOT in pre-term labor! I told DH that I don't want to go back to L&D unless my water breaks or I'm screaming on the kitchen floor!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I completely agree with the other ladies here. Because I have issues with asthma and difficultly breathing, I feel more comfortable delivering in a hospital. Otherwise, I would love to go to a birthing center or have a home birth.

With Max (my first) I told the nursing staff and OB as soon as I arrived that I wanted a NCB and would prefer that no one mention my pain levels or offer pain medication of any sort. If I felt I needed it, I would tell them. The OB gave me the information I needed at the time (how long it would take to receive an epi if I changed my mind due to where the guy was) and let me be after that. It was a great experience and I'm very much looking forward to having my daughter there in the coming weeks.

So if you end up in the hospital, it's not an automatic deal breaker. And I do believe you'll be calmer later. I think anyone would panic in that situation. When you're stressed and worried that it's too soon, things hurt a lot more.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

March 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
just so you know, since it is obviously a very real fear for you, you can have a completely natural birth at any point in pregnancy, as long as you and baby are okay. There is no benefit to a preemie to have an epidural or a c-section, and a vaginal delivery is actually much better for preemies. In a premature situation, they are likely to be less lenient with things like monitors, so your movement may be inhibited some, but pain meds have no benefit and they are less likely to push pitocin on you, unless your water is already broken. I would also be especially wary of narcotics during a premature birth, because they can suppress baby's lung function if given within a couple of hours of delivery, which is a HUGE deal for a preemie. Also, and waiting for an epidural to wear off could increase the amount of time you are away from a baby that has been taken to the NICU.

just some insight on the "what if's" from a preemie mom

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search