Female or male OB/midwife?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Which do you prefer? My first OB was a male. I was only 17 at the time and have never had a male since. I definitely prefer a female midwife or OB.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I definitely prefer a midwife over and OB and I've never heard of a male midwife so that's probably a moot point.

I saw an OB group when I was pregnant with Liam and much preferred the male docs over the females. I found they were much more supportive of my natural birth choices than the women docs were. One of the women OBs was pregnant too and planned her elective c-section so the birth would fit into her schedule--she thought I was nuts for wanting a natural birth and didn't hide her feelings on it. Thankfully I had one of the great male OBs when I went into labor.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

March 11th, 2010, 06:42 AM
broncos08's Avatar paiently waiting
I'd rather have a female. The last time I had a male doc was when I was 11 - before I ever had an AF.

Thanks geogeek for my blinkies!
http://bookscompleteme.com
March 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
Well I definitely prefer a midwife over and OB and I've never heard of a male midwife so that's probably a moot point.

I saw an OB group when I was pregnant with Liam and much preferred the male docs over the females. I found they were much more supportive of my natural birth choices than the women docs were. One of the women OBs was pregnant too and planned her elective c-section so the birth would fit into her schedule--she thought I was nuts for wanting a natural birth and didn't hide her feelings on it. Thankfully I had one of the great male OBs when I went into labor.
Wow! Thank goodness you got the male doc! I would have been so nervous if I would have gotten the pregnant OB.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had both with my first, I saw a bunch of doctors at the hospital I went to, but since we were military and had go to the military hospital, I didn't get a choice.

I had just female midwives with Anna and that is what I prefer.

Expecting baby #4!

March 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I definitely prefer female practitioners! I plan on seeing midwives over an OB when I get pregnant. I think that female physicians are much more supportive and sympathetic.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
March 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
female!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM
me personally I like em male. not trying to be funny or anything, but I heart my doc. He's got a good sense of humor
March 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't care as far as gynie care. I wouldn't see an OB unless I absolutely had to, and I really like one of the female OBs and I really like a male OB so it doesnt matter to me! if they've seen one vagina they've seen them all

as far as regular care I prefer females though

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I think I prefer a female. I've never seen a male OB before though. I have had a bad experience with a female OB, so I guess they aren't always the most sympathetic. She didn't believe me when I had a m/c and told me I was never pregnant in the first place. So glad I switched to my midwives after that!
March 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM
noworries
I've only had great experiences with male OB's/midwives (yes, I had a male midwife) so I actually prefer male. I've only had bad experiences with female OB's. And the female midwife I had was ok but the male midwife was much better (more knowledgeable, more compassionate, etc)
March 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I've only been seen by midwives with the exception of dd1 when I saw the head OB a few times.

I prefer a midwife over a medwife. I saw a male midwife when I got my IUC placed after having dd2.

March 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have a preference based on gender. It happens to be the only male OB I have seen in my life was totally old school medical doctor. Gave episiotomies like they were going out of style, no matter what the situation ACTUALLY called for. BUT... the whole practice was that way. Very medically minded, pretty much laughed at me when I said I wanted a natural birth.

My new OB office have only women OB's and I feel they are way more open to natural births. But this is also Seattle and I think people are more open minded up here (in most areas at least).

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
March 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I prefer females

March 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Ive had both. The ob that finally saw a problem with my BP was male and he was amazing! Its hit or miss with me.

March 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I prefer females too!
March 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a general practioner in my early 20's that was male that I loved (he did my annual paps and stuff). But for pregnancy and especially labor & delivery I want to be filled to the brim with feminine energy so I would have a midwife. As was mentioned, I don't know any male midwives, especially homebirth midwives which is was I'd plan for.
March 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My OB now is the first male I have ever had. And I can honestly say I prefer him over all the females I have had.
We work out of the same hospital and I have worked side by side with him in a few deliveries. And he tells me how it is straight up and doesn't rose color anything. And he will listen to me complain about normal pregnancy stuff and crack a joke about it. But when its time to be serious he is. DH used to be friends with his son as well.
March 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Female! I'm just more comfortable with a female doc.

March 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Female midwife, hands down.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search