Face FIRST (edited) presentation = emergency c-section??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfullymade View Post
Babies CAN be born with face presentation, it does require, though, a mom able to move her hips to navigate baby out gently, a patient medical team and the baby to be in mentum ANTERIOR position (meaning, the chin toward the pubic bone, not toward the backbone).

Here is a post I wrote on it, along with a video.
Here is a still picture of a mentum anterior face presentation.
Wow!! That has to be a painful delivery!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

April 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
If your just talking face up, i delivered DD2 face up and DS face up and cheek first both vaginal. The Dr's never brought up needed a c-section

April 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
You know I remember when I was having my first and the nurse was checking me she told me this story about how she did a check on this mom during labor and she thought that the baby's soft spot was open but it turned out to her be her mouth (maybe not the best story for a mom in labor lol) but anyway, sounds like this lady must have had her baby in the same positon. Anyway, that lady gave birth that way so it must be possible.

Facebook
April 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3Boyz View Post
You know I remember when I was having my first and the nurse was checking me she told me this story about how she did a check on this mom during labor and she thought that the baby's soft spot was open but it turned out to her be her mouth (maybe not the best story for a mom in labor lol) but anyway, sounds like this lady must have had her baby in the same positon. Anyway, that lady gave birth that way so it must be possible.
Rose, you crack me up! I had to tell DH that story!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

April 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I know this is a little late for "Julie'sMomInOR" but my story might help other mommies-to-be asking the same question.

My little one was born with a face presentation.

This means that the face comes out first, not the top of the head. The head has two soft spots where the bones are meant to shift and squeeze for the baby to slide out easily. The face isn't designed to squeeze, so it is more difficult.

I planned an unmedicated natural birth with a midwife. I was in a birthing center that was inside a hospital, so doctors and machines were just down the hallway. On my midwife's final progress check, she slipped her fingers in and instead of feeling the firm top of the head, they went right into the babies mouth. She was already on alert because there was meconium, or the first baby poop, when the water broke. They needed the baby out right now.

She called in the doctors and they wheeled in the C-section machine. She said I had to give birth right now, or they would have to cut me. I pushed and pushed and my bundle of joy arrived after about 20 minutes. They cut the cord and whisked the baby away to suction her mouth and check her out. I didn't get to let the cord finish pulsating before cutting, like I wanted. She didn't end up swallowing any meconium. I did it naturally, but they were ready to do the C-section, if I couldn't do it quickly. Her face was badly bruised with big lips and eyes swollen shut for a few hours, but it went away and she was a healthy full term, 8 lbs 8 oz baby girl.
April 23rd, 2014, 06:31 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I gathered in my research, this is possible, but it is unlikely you will have much luck with your OB as finding hospital staff with experience in this type of delivery is very unlikely. This would fall more under the "midwife" area of expertise. On top of them not being trained in it, they would be even more persistent in the c-sec option because of the additional risks involved.
I would bring it up with your OB now in advance to be sure. I agree with the other posters - you will have to be able to use multiple positions, so the hospital staff will have to be on board with that as well. When I toured our local hospital, they acted very supportive of natural birth, but when asked about restrictions on positions they said NONE - as long as you remain on the bed. Well, that restricts a lot actually.
I recommend discussing it with your OB as part of your birth plan, you could be lucky with a very supportive doctor or even midwifes available in your hospital that will work as advocates for you but I seriously doubt they would simply "allow" it without some serious fighting back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search