Face FIRST (edited) presentation = emergency c-section??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine just had her baby. Here is the email I got.

"After quite a bit of unexpected drama, Lorelai Paige arrived yesterday afternoon at 6 pounds 8 ounces! Labor was going along fine when all of the sudden they stopped the process and all of the nurses ran out of the delivery room. To make a very long story short, Lorelai was trying to come into the world face first rather then head first which is a big no no. They rushed Christina in for an emergency c-section which was not part of her master plan. Lorelai got a few bruises on her face in the process, but all’s well that ends well…mother and daughter are both fine."

Does a face up presentation mean a c-section is necessary? I'm sure there are a few details missing is the story, but I want to be prepared in case this happens to me. still don't feel all that confident that I know when to tell the OB "no" when she says I "need" a c/s.

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; April 21st, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
April 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
No it doesnt. I know a few people who have had their children sunny side up. Maybe there is more to the story.

April 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet was born sunny side up and her presentation was really twisted as she came out with her head almost sideways and her chin pointed up. And I had a home birth. I know my midwives told me that about 90% of the time in a hospital a doctor will recommend a c-section for sunny side up babies. They said it's because usually the women in the hospital have an epi and can't get into a lot of different positions to bring the baby down, and many babies that are sunny side up get stuck around the pelvic bone for a bit. Violet was stuck but I just kept changing positions and eventually she got under the bone. She had some major bruising when she was born though.

April 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sheesh no! It is harder but it's not an emergency!
April 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was born face first & Mom had an NCB. Of course, this was 30 years ago. I don't think Drs were as c-section happy back then. She said she had to push for quite awhile & I had a nasty goose egg on my forehead from the delivery, but other than that all was well.
April 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
sheesh no! It is harder but it's not an emergency!
They also can assist the baby to help it turn.

April 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it sounds like she meant face first, not face up, which is entirely different. Not a reason for a c/s IMO, but definitely a hard delivery with more potential for difficulties.
MindyRambo likes this.
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
April 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
frugality=reality
Madeline was sunny side up (30 hours of labor, but not that long pushing), and Luke was a sideways presentation.

I used to have pics of Luke's sideways presentation in the pictures forum, but I moved them to a different album (and I have a different username, so I can't edit the post...)
April 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I wonder, maybe it's meant that baby was trying to come NOSE first? As in, bending the neck backwards and pushing mashed baby's head and neck backwards?

But yeah, just face up shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
frugality=reality
Face Presentations | Face Presentation Diagnosed | Face Presentations and Labour
April 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, face presentation is totally different from face up (posterior). There is actually a picture in one of Ina May's books of a baby being born face first, so obviously it can be done, but definitely a harder birth, and I think (just like posterior) it may be harder for a mom to push the baby out that way, or she may be unable to.

April 21st, 2010, 05:15 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My younger brother was a facial presentation when he was born and my Mom still had a NCB. But, her dr. told her if he hadn't been her 3rd baby she would have had a c-section. Her amniotic sack stayed in tact through the delivery so that helped soften his entry but his lips were hugely swollen and purple from being born face first. There's definitely more risk involved with that kind of delivery.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Yes, face presentation is totally different from face up (posterior). There is actually a picture in one of Ina May's books of a baby being born face first, so obviously it can be done, but definitely a harder birth, and I think (just like posterior) it may be harder for a mom to push the baby out that way, or she may be unable to.
I remember that picture from her book - it is a very hard delivery especially if Mom was a first time Mom.

April 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Run out of the room Emergency? LOL! I wonder what they do when a real emergency comes into that hospital? Sigh. No - it means the part of the head that has to fit out is quite a bit wider - so it could end up that someone needs some intervention - or more likely a lot more pushing. But by no means does it equal automatic emergency.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It does sound like it meant face first rather than face up. I don't know much about that but I would worry it would be hard on baby's neck?

April 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
lilflower
Popping in. I just delivered my son face first 9 days ago, well I thought he was "brow" first. I didn't have time for a c-section. By the time they realized it was his eye and nose I was already pushing. It is usually caused by the cord being wrapped around the neck. They told me had I not already given birth they would have had to do a c-section. But his shoulders were also vertical, not horizontal as they should have been. It does complicate things a lot though.

Face up does cause a lot problems for first time mommies though because it takes LONGER to deliver.

I was told that face first can be very dangerous for baby if your pelvis hasn't been "proven" (whatever that means lol)
April 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, ladies. I guess my big question now is if my baby tries to come out face first and my OB wants to do a c/s, should I go along with it or insist on trying to push first? If I try to push first, at what point do I give up and allow the c/s if it's not working out?

April 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Not sure... but its very unusual for a baby to come face presenting. I wouldn't stress too much about that possibility.
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
April 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectingFirstinOR View Post
Thanks, ladies. I guess my big question now is if my baby tries to come out face first and my OB wants to do a c/s, should I go along with it or insist on trying to push first? If I try to push first, at what point do I give up and allow the c/s if it's not working out?
I know in my case, I had a c/s after pushing for several hours because it was really doing a number on dd's heartrate. She wasn't face first but was in another funky position and wasn't budging, despite all kinds of attempts to turn her. I would think that as long as you and the baby are tolerating the labor, then it's okay to keep going. In our case (and maybe your friend's) the baby wasn't.

Why don't you ask your doctor about what he/she would do? It will probably give you a good idea of how they treat labor in general.

April 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Babies CAN be born with face presentation, it does require, though, a mom able to move her hips to navigate baby out gently, a patient medical team and the baby to be in mentum ANTERIOR position (meaning, the chin toward the pubic bone, not toward the backbone).

Here is a post I wrote on it, along with a video.
Here is a still picture of a mentum anterior face presentation.

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search