Think I am Going to be Sick

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
This just about makes me physically ill.

Quote:
Immigrant families that wish to preserve their local traditions sometimes approach Western doctors to perform FGC on their daughters. In its new report, the AAP advises doctors to inform families that the procedure is medically unnecessary and even dangerous. Should the families be resolute, the AAP raises the idea of legalizing a less-severe ritual cutting - akin, the policy statement says, to an "ear piercing" - to dissuade parents from sending their daughters to be circumcised in their home country, where medical conditions are likely to be far worse.
Thoughts?

Bellies & Babies Blogger
May 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen

May 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I just do not understand. Sigh. So sick gross sad

May 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I read that recently in the news. It absolutely breaks my heart.

May 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I read this article to DH and the last bit about the guy that removed his 2 year old daugthers anatomy, infuriated him.
I am in shock that is for sure. I had read an article in a magazine in my teen years about a girl that was forced to do this because of her culture. It is so sad.

May 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
wow.....I am about as close to speechless as I get.....

yes, a nick or whatever would be better.....and if that would be accepted......I can see the logic I guess, but.....I don't really even know how to say what I mean.

just wow.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

May 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
But Ginni, the problem with this is that, because of the age needed, and the fact that they don't use anesthesia, and the reasons for it (decrease/completely inhibit sexual arousal, cosmetic reasons, etc..) will either:

1) not allow for a small nick or
2) still be causing sexual trauma for a child at an age where they won't forget it. Consider being 4 years old, having someone much older and stronger than you hold you down, and just 'nick you' on your sexual organs. That is traumatic!

I don't care if it is a nick or a cut, it is horribly wrong for our AAP to even consider making it legal just because it would make it safer. This isn't about conception or pregnancy, this is about a human beings bodily integrity and mental/emotional health.

Sorry, I get riled, didn't mean to get all up in your grill.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
May 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfullymade View Post
But Ginni, the problem with this is that, because of the age needed, and the fact that they don't use anesthesia, and the reasons for it (decrease/completely inhibit sexual arousal, cosmetic reasons, etc..) will either:

2) still be causing sexual trauma for a child at an age where they won't forget it. Consider being 4 years old, having someone much older and stronger than you hold you down, and just 'nick you' on your sexual organs. That is traumatic!

I don't care if it is a nick or a cut, it is horribly wrong for our AAP to even consider making it legal just because it would make it safer. This isn't about conception or pregnancy, this is about a human beings bodily integrity and mental/emotional health.

I agree. I don't think there is ANY reason to make this legal in THIS country!

I understand the sentiment of trying to make it better for others, but as you said it is not really going to make anything better, especially emotionally.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
May 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I have no words. It's sad and just.....just awful.

May 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
!!!!!!!!
May 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfullymade View Post

no no, I don't disagree with you, even a little. I see the logic in the idea of something small, quick and representational over something scarring and physically traumatic. I can't say that I could ever agree with it being made legal, or would be okay with any doctor that would be willing to perform it, but I do see the logic behind it....in theory.

I doubt that would ever pass, and even if it would, I doubt many doctors would be willing to perform it. I guess if it did pass, they would learn the procedure when they learned how to do a circumcision???

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

May 17th, 2010, 10:20 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Sick sad and really really wrong! It is the same way I feel about male circumcision though!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

May 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally view it as the same thing as cutting a boy so as you can imagine I would be against it!
Financially speaking though--- if you go by $ amount a dr makes per min of work, male circs are the best money makers for the least amount of work. I'm guessing female circs would be close so it would be a big money maker.
May 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have mixed emotions, but mainly I'm opposed.... however we chose to circ our son for religious reasons, so I can understand why others may feel the same.......... but the reasons to do it are so far out there.

May 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Stellas Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel that its wrong, but who am I to judge what's right or wrong in someone elses culture. Idk, There's a lot I feel strongly about as well, like female circumcision. I don't believe it should be done by anyone for any reason. But honestly it's just my opinion, and opinions don't normally go too far now adays.

May 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley o. View Post
I feel that its wrong, but who am I to judge what's right or wrong in someone elses culture. Idk, There's a lot I feel strongly about as well, like female circumcision. I don't believe it should be done by anyone for any reason. But honestly it's just my opinion, and opinions don't normally go too far now adays.
You do realize that this thread is about female circumcision right?

I find it interesting what the medical establishment will try to legalize in the name of 'making it safer', it makes me sick!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Stellas Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I must have red it wrong. But I don't understand why anyone would do that? Even though it's their culture, who in the world decided one day that im just going to do this to my kid?

May 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
Absolutely Horrifying.

The WHO condemns the practice of FGC so why in the world would the AAP consider a "mild" form of it? Is that really going to be a solution? Its not just medically unnecessary and even dangerous, FGC is completely against human rights. I can guarantee that the cultural reasons behind it are degrading to women and promote inequality.

I am sure that many Doctors will do it. We all know the way that women and babies are treated during childbirth. Women have their own genitals cut without their consent during their most vulnerable time so why not a baby?

This practice is immoral and I don't care what religion, culture or traditions are involved.

WHO FGM Fact Sheet WHO | Female genital mutilation

Tags
baby , circumcision , education , girl , rights

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search