Bright red blood/cramps after cervical check?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I caved at today's appointment and allowed my OB to do a cervical check. I was planning to refuse them, but my curiosity got the better of me. I was 2 cm dialed and 75% effaced. It was really not a pleasant experience, other than finding out I had made progress.

When I got home, I had a bunch of bright red blood like I'd started my period. It had gone through my underwear and stained my shorts. I cleaned up, and 10 minutes later I had just as much blood as the first time. I put on a pad, and bleeding has definitely slowed since but I'm still getting a few drops. And I'm crampy like my period is about to start.

It seems like way too much of a coincidence that I could be having bloody show an hour after my cervical check, so it must be from that, right? I just thought blood after cervical checks was usually pink or brown and just small amounts, like spotting.

I really don't think she would have stripped my membranes without asking me, but I have no idea what this would feel like and what a normal cervical check would feel like, so I have to wonder.

July 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was my first thought that your membranes were stripped. I've had mine stripped with two of my kids and I was pretty crampy afterwards. I don't remember having blood other than the bloody show that came on right as labor started.

Maybe she just irritated your cervix though and that's what the blood is from. Did you call the office to let them know?

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

July 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i would say it was from the exam or might be your bloody show. i had some blood after my exam around 36 weeks and it was exactly like you are describing. i called the office and they said it was from the exam but if i filled up a pad then to call them back. i never had any more after that!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
July 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
Maybe she just irritated your cervix though and that's what the blood is from. Did you call the office to let them know?
Nope, I left a little after 4 pm and they close at 4:30, so by the time I realized how much blood there was, they were closed for the weekend. My only option would be to go to L&D at this point, and I really don't want to do that.

July 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
If it's enough to fill a pad then definitely go in. Or if it doesn't stop relatively soon. I would at least call the on-call doctor and ask what they recommend if it hasn't stopped in an hour or two.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
July 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
my first thought too was that she stripped your membranes. I personally wouldn't go in to L&D, but I might call the office's answering service and have the on call person call if you do fill a pad.
July 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I also suspected that your membranes were stripped when I read your post. That's exactly what happened to me in my first pregnancy. I dug up the post I made here that day:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...knowledge.html (stripping membranes without consent or knowledge)

July 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
I also suspected that your membranes were stripped when I read your post. That's exactly what happened to me in my first pregnancy. I dug up the post I made here that day:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...knowledge.html (stripping membranes without consent or knowledge)
Thanks for posting that! It does sound very much like my experience.

5 hours after my appointment, I'm still bleeding, so I just called the on call doctor. The connection was bad, and she pretty much blew me off. Her first question was whether my membranes had been swept, and I said I don't know because no one said anything to me. Then she asked if I'm having contractions, I said I don't think so and it just feels feels like cramps. She said those could be little contractions and I could be in early labor, or I could just be irritated from the exam. I told her it's been about enough blood to fill a pad, but not more, and she said that was fine. The I asked her if I should call back if I'm still bleeding tomorrow, which apparently must have sounded to her like "Thank you. Have a good night" or something, because she just said "You're welcome" and hung up. Very frustrating.

July 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
If it were me, I think if the bleeding didn't improve overnight then yeah I would go in tomorrow. I know when it happened to me it did get better (more like spotting rather than a regular flow) but never completely stopped until I had my son. I would pass bloody pieces of mucous daily up until my water broke.

I'm sorry this happened. If she did strip you that's such a violation. And if not then she should have at least told you to expect some bleeding, I'm sure it had to have been obvious to her during the check!

July 17th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(((hugs))) i don't have any advise but I wanted to add

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
July 17th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had that in the past when they've attempted to stretch my cervix during an exam. It resulted in considerable bleeding and then a couple of days of spotting along with the cramping. It was far from pleasant. It could just be really bad cervical irritation. I definitely wouldn't agree to another check if that's the way that particular OB is going to handle it. If they do it correctly it should be a little uncomfortable at the worst and shouldn't result in that sort of bleeding/cramping.

July 17th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my goodness. HUGS!!!! Sounds like they were pretty rough with you and/or stripped your membranes. I'm sorry you had that experience! Wondering how you were feeling today, if the bleeding subsided? Still cramping?

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

July 17th, 2010, 06:34 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HUGS! My doc said she didn't want to mess around too much in there for fear of stripping my membranes, but I have no idea if it's that easy to accidentally do.

I hope you're feeling alright.

July 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my membranes stripped but I was at 41 weeks and already in early labor and uncomfortable so it's hard for me to judge what I would have felt like if I wasn't already crampy and had a bunch of mucus leaking!

How is the bleeding today?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 17th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Um, it's not easy to strip membranes. I check my own cervix while pg and in labor and stripping membranes takes some work to get your fingers up through the cervix and between the bag of waters and uterus. It sounds to me like she stripped your membranes or stretched your cervix and created little tears. I'd be majorly po'd if that was something you didn't agree to. If you've been dtd with no bleeding issues then I can't see how SIMPLY checking your cervix for dilation WITHOUT doing other stuff-like stretching and sweeping) would cause you to bleed. Just my 2 cents having done all 3. Sex and just checking never caused me to bleed. Stretching and sweeping with dd never did either. The last time I stretched myself with ds2 I did bleed a bit, and I left well enough alone and didn't do that again.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks, all, for the kind words.

I'm not bleeding any more today and just feel a tiny bit crampy. I have DTD several times during the past couple weeks and never had bleeding or cramping from that. My next appointment is with a different OB and I will make it abundantly clear that I do not want any stripping or stretching of the membranes. I go back to my regular OB, who I saw yesterday, the day before I hit 40 weeks and I'm really hoping I don't make it that far. While I do want to confront her about it, I don't want to do it until after I've delivered because I don't want extra tension.

I really wish I had not done the check to begin with. Not only would I have skipped yesterday's unpleasantness, but my OB told me she doesn't expect me to make it to my EDD since I'm 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced. Now I'm going to be very disappointed when I do go past my EDD. Ugh, I knew better.

July 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Big hugs hun. Im sorry this happened to you!

July 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I asked once on the doula email list I am on once about stripping membranes without consent and basically the answer I got was that it's implied consent if you let them do an internal to do anything else while they are there. It's not right, but no one can prove anything, if something was intentional or not. Unfortunately the best way to prevent this from happening is to avoid all internals.

Glad the bleeding stopped for you.
July 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I'm glad the bleeding resolved. Are you going to continue letting them do internals?

Your story strengthened my resolve when I really needed it. I doubt my midwives would do anything without consent but sometimes you need to be reminded that even a 'simple' procedure can have unpleasant consequences. I hope you continue to bake just a little longer!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
July 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
I asked once on the doula email list I am on once about stripping membranes without consent and basically the answer I got was that it's implied consent if you let them do an internal to do anything else while they are there.
Thanks for mentioning that. At least I know not to accuse her of doing something illegal when I bring it up. I'll simply bring up that I don't think it's right that she didn't tell me what she was doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search