Thrifty Thursday

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2010, 07:12 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Post some thrifty tips you have! Is there something you do around the house to save money, clip coupons, shop in bulk? Do you make your own of something? Share a tip!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM
This is kind of silly but we have a Keurig Coffee maker, the kind that uses the single use K-Cups. We actually use the cups twice! It really doesn't make any weaker coffee!

August 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to do that. We stopped using ours when it got really loud though... I think some minerals in the water clogged it.

The only thing I can think of right now is buying baby clothes 2nd hand. We do save a ton of money on food since DH's family owns a grocery store... that's not really helpful though since I can't get everyone in on that.

August 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
DH is the master of grocery store discounts. We shop at Aldi to get basic stuff super cheap because they're off brand. Then he'll stop by the other grocery store to check out their meat section. He buys the meat that is getting too close to the sell by date (not expired) and the store discounts them. One time he bought some bratwursts that the store paid him a penny to take.

I shop consignment sales for the girls and get hand me downs from my sister and SIL. Cloth diapering has saved us a ton and I'm about to start using cloth wipes too.
August 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not exactly thrifty. I do BF and cloth diaper which saves us money. But I would do both even if it cost us money.

I do usually make my mom grocery shop since she's great at getting deals and she lives with us. I also sell all the girls clothes on Ebay and make back what I paid (or more) and then use that money to buy them more clothes.

August 19th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corny7474 View Post
One time he bought some bratwursts that the store paid him a penny to take.
Now that's thrifty.

August 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I'm not real good at being thrifty but I have been trying! I caught Sandra's Lee's show where she does a meal and then makes more meals from that meal's left overs... I thought it was a cool idea so we've been doing that lately. It really does cut down on waste! One night we had broccoli beef & rice, the broccoli & beef got eaten up but there was a gob of rice left (and I knew that would happen) usually I would just toss it but instead I planned to make stuffed cabbage rolls the next day and used up all the rice in that! So, no waste! I have noticed about a $20 difference in our grocery bill since doing this, so that's cool!

Facebook
August 19th, 2010, 11:07 PM
missmich
Some people might think it's gross but,a few weeks ago I was running low on tp and had very little money left. The money was to be saved to use as bus fare. So.... I used water! Yep just a quick splash after a pee and a pat dry with the towel. A lot of people actually do this and they have special cloth they call "family cloth". I saved the small amount of tp I had left for um.... the bigger jobs.

Right now with food I'm trying to save as much as I can and use what I can even if it's stuff I don't normally eat. Now why do I have food in the house that I don't normally eat or even like? Well if I visit the food bank or my nutritionist there will sometimes be something that normally I wouldn't eat. At the food bank I can't really say no to them,unless it's meat then I tell them to please save for that someone else since I'm vegetarian. So if I get something gross like tomato juice....I can't stand it I'll use it in chili or a pasta sauce or something instead of drinking it. I don't like kiwis but was given some so I'm going to freeze some for a smoothie later on (when I have a blender) and use the others in a muffin mix. I think I can eat them that way.
August 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some of my thrifty things won't work for everyone.

We shop at the thrift store. When we shop at regular stores we only buy clothes from the clearance racks, especially for the kids.

We do most of our food shopping at the commissary, we save a lot by doing this, especially on meats. Milk is less at Sam's or Walmart, so if we are 'in town' (about a 25 min drive) we will buy milk there.

I go to the Airman's Attic. People donate stuff and everything they have is FREE! We got 2 sweatshirts, a coffee maker, a few stuffed animals, a cook book and I picked up a few long sleeve shirts the other day.

I make my own jerky. Dry fruit. Buy large yogurt containers and then flavor them with frozen berries. Less sugar and less money.

I cut my own hair, and then go get it done professionally about 2-3 times a year instead of every 6 weeks like they suggest.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
missmich
I've been lucky enough to have gotten all my baby clothes for free,except for one jumper thing I paid $1.49 for at the 2nd hand store. I'm not counting the stuff I got him during my travels before he was even made. lol I even got his pack n play where he's going to sleep for free. I also got some very nice pink girly stuff for free,but since I'm having a boy I gave it to one of the agencies that's been helping me out with clothes and stuff.
August 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this is so stupid and basic, but I could never get my grocery bill under $500 ever. EVER. I would always say, budget $400, I can do $400, and my husband would go, "Uh, huh." Now that cloth didn't work out for us and Elizabeth weaned at 11 months, formula and diapers add $100 a month for us, so $600.

I have cut it in HALF by shopping the sales. OMG, I never realized how much extra (THOUSANDS a year) I was paying by just waltzing in every couple days and just buying what I wanted. Now I shop the loss leaders at the stores near me and I have a price book so I know what is cheapest at which store - some things are cheapest at Walmart and some at Costco, but Kroger on sale is always the cheapest and they double coupons up to .50. So when it's on sale I buy enough for 4-6 weeks, so I won't run out while they're full price. The other day one of the stores had split chicken breasts for .77 a lb. and I bought 15 lbs.

$300 a month with diapers and formula is making me so happy!! We eat really well, which is why it isn't lower - a fun and varied diet, nice meats, "designer apple juice" as my husband puts it (Simply Apple) and lots and lots of fruits. Literally the only thing I've changed is when I am buying and the quantities I am buying.

August 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
frugality=reality
I stockpile. I buy items at rock bottom prices, and lots of it, and then we never pay full price.

I have TONS of health and beauty products (shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, medicines, razors, shaving cream, etc.) that I got for free (and sometimes I even get PAID).

I get groceries for really good deals too, and do the same-buy a LOT and then we have it at rock bottom price for when we want it.

I also do rebates.
August 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
^^^Kim you always amaze me! I tried looking into doing some of those things and I just don't get it! Is it because my grocery stores don't do stuff like double coupons and things? I need help!!

August 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
frugality=reality
My stores don't do double coupons either. I do have stores that do buy one get one free sales often, though... and I can use a coupon per item even though one's free... and I use $/$$ (save 5.00 on a 30.00 purchase, save 10.00 on a 50.00 purchase, etc.) coupons when I can get my hands on them.

Like later today, I'm using a 5/25.00 coupon and getting 8 things of Dole fruit cups for better than free (I have .75/3 coupons and I have four free coupons, so I'll MAKE .75 on them because I'll get two free with each coupon for one free pack because of the sale. Then use one .75/3 coupon for 3 of the other 4) Add that to another 16.00 worth groceries to use my 5/25.00 coupon, and I'll have a really low out-of-pocket for that trip.

It's really a lot of fun. lol

Last edited by frugality=reality; August 20th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
August 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
^^ Now that's just insane. Do you get your coupons from the stuff they put in your mailbox, or other places?

August 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm awful at coupons. Most of the stuff in our weekly coupon mailers are crap that I won't eat anyway.

I forgot that I also sew some of the girls' clothes and other things. I get the Hobby Lobby weekly specials emailed to me and then stock up on the patterns that are on sale, and make sure the sizes allow for some growth if I need to make the outfit again next year. I sew their Halloween costumes because I like my ideas better and they are so much cheaper than the store bought costumes. I'm working on Abrielle's christening gown that will only cost me around $35-$40 when I could buy a similar design in stores for $150+. I made the nursery curtains and the decor for both the nursery and Lily's room. I like being crafty, so I can figure out how to do a lot of things for way cheaper than I could buy them.
August 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM
frugality=reality
I get coupons online, from the Sunday paper, from store circulars, and from a trading website. Also, those CVS receipts are older, and they aren't as fun anymore... but they're still a little fun to shop at.
August 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I never can find these great coupons!
We have a lot of stores around here that double coupons but their "regular" prices are sooo high that with the doubled coupon it's still more expensive then say - walmart. So I just end up shopping at walmart and if I have coupons I usually can save quite a bit but it's the coupons I can never find, well at least not for things we buy.

Facebook
August 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
missmich
My store now has a coupon thing right at the door so if I'm going to buy that item anyway and find it cheaper then other brands I'll use the coupon. I also try and make things from scratch rather then buy a can of vegetarian chili for example. Im poor and I just can't afford to spend $3 on a can of chili that will be one meal. I'd rather spend say $8 on ALL the ingredients that I need to make the chili and have a huge batch of it and extra ingredients to make something else with. I did cheat a little bit and got some frozen canneloni last week. It's a fave of mine and I'm stocking up on freezer foods right now for when the baby arrives. It was on sale though and pretty much everything else I am making on my own to freeze.

Now to save money on fruits and veggies I'm trying to shop at the smaller and cheaper Chinese shops.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search