Hi I'm new here :)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm almost 22 weeks pregnant with our first child. We are having a little boy due on Dec 24th. I've always felt strongly about have a natural birth and it has only strengthened with this pregnancy. We didn't plan it persey, I have endometriosis and was on b/c so I came off of it fully expecting it to take a few months for my body to get used to being free from b/c. Nope we got pregnant right off the bat, no charting or anything. I was shocked as I expected it to take significantly longer due to the endometriosis. We hadn't even planned on trying until we were married (June 19th) As I read more I more I became terrified of all the needless interventions. I'm really scared to give birth in a hospital. We wanted to have a mid-wife but in Alberta our health care is paid for and there are only so many midwives, I contacted them when I found out at 7 weeks pregnant they were completely booked solid, the ones that weren't said they don't take any clients for Christmas. We are hiring a doula, in fact we are interviewing one tomorrow. My dream is to have an at home water birth but I don't see that happening, I called the hospital that I would be delivering at to inquire about bringing in a birthing tub, they don't have any regulations AGAINST it but leave it up to the dr's discretion. The group of dr's that I have been refered to I hate, they lied to me about the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada recommendations for natural birth then argued with me about my choices. I'm in the process of trying to find anyone else who will deliver my baby. I don't want them touching me, they told me that if I go against there recommendations I am putting my life and the babies in danger. It is there policy to do inductions if you are past your due date, have GD, are measuring ahead (As this could mean the baby is too large) They do automatic cesareans sections for all breech babies. They told me that if I don't dilate according to 1 cm an hour for the first six hours I have to have pitocin. They were aghast when I said no. I'm dreading my next appointment.
I've been on another message board regularly but have decided to look for somewhere more open to my viewpoints and I got flamed anytime I voiced my opinion.

Anyone else here from Canada?
August 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! My name is Bethany and am a mom of 3. I am also one of the co-hosts on this board!

There are some canadian moms here and I know of some others on another board that had NCB and even a home birth. I'm hoping they will jump in here to give you some guidence! Good luck and hope to see you around!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Jennifer and we're expecting our first in late February, and plan to deliver at a freestanding birth center.

It sounds like a horrible group of physicians there, I hope that you are able to find someone that is more open to NCB and your wishes. I can't believe the midwives actually say they don't take people around Christmas!

This is a great group of women here!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!
August 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Welcome! I'm Courtney, mommy to 2.5 year old Liliana (Lily), and 4 month old Abrielle (Abri). Both girls were born in the hospital, but only Abri was my NCB.

I really hope you can find another group of doctors, if not a midwife. Your current one sounds awful.
August 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
hi and welcome! I'm Ginni, mom to Kurt, Kyle, Claire and our newest addition is Cade. He was our first homebirth, a VBAC. I can tell you if we have more kids, they will all be born at home!

WOW on the OB's. At least they will tell you the truth and be straightforward, alot of Dr's will say they are supportive of NCB and then change things once you are admitted in labor or nearing your due date.

I hope you can find someone you feel comfortable with!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, congrats on your little one!

Secondly, I would say to do your very, very best to find a care provider who is supportive of what you want to do. When I was pregnant for the first time, my first CNM thought I was a naive idiot for wanting a natural birth (she told me, and I quote, "just don't hate yourself when you are begging for an epidural"). I found another CNM who supported my want for a natural birth. She was fabulous!

We delivered in a hosptial because the insurance I had at the time covered everything and being poor newly-weds, we couldn't really afford to pass up an almost free delivery. I wanted a water-birth, but the hosptial I delivered at does not allow them.

Despite that, I had a wonderful experience. I think having a birth plan for the nursing staff really helped (they knew I didn't want an IV, pain meds, etc.). I didn't have so much as a hep-lock and never once even asked for pain meds, let alone "begged for an epidural" (take that, doubtful CNM).

Sorry to ramble, just wanted to let you know that if you have good support system (provider, DH, doula, etc.), you can have a lovely natural birth in a hospital. Good luck finding a care provider! KUP! My fingers are crossed for you!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search