Distraction during contractions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Super Mommy
What do you ladies focus on to get through those painful contractions?
August 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it's been different every time

#1 - silence and someone stroking my belly rhythmically with their fingertips

#2 - silence and no one touching me or anything. I just had to focus intently telling my body to relax

#3 - moaning, squeezing a towel, and counterpressure on my back.

In all cases I don't really like people talking to me or anything outside of my little bubble to distract me. I mostly focused on keeping my body relaxed.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I did not do hypno-babies or anything, but I was able to lie on my side, turn the lights off, have silence and zone out to the point I do not remember my last hour and a half of active labor until I hit transition, and then there was nothing that could district me.

August 20th, 2010, 08:25 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Honestly, I didn't want any outside distractions. Anyone touching me or talking to me mad me feverishly mad. I just had to breathe and focus through them and eventually I started vocalizing, humming at first and then making a sound like 'oooohhhhh'. I would just focus on one at a time and try not to think about the next one that would come. Taking it one at a time and just staying inside my own head were the only things that helped. Between contractions I was normal, chatty and happy but during I just wanted to be left alone!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't study hypnobabies either but I did take a cue from there and pictured my uterus opening and lifting my cervix out of the way to let the baby descend. This last labor was really fast and realyl intense so I was not able to zone out like I had in previous labors but I somehow was able to stay calm. I was also able to really feel my body change as labor progressed and feel the baby's progress down and out. Really quite amazing!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I just hummed as loud as I needed to. I ignored anyone trying to talk to me at first. After my water broke and my body kept pushing without me trying, I was trying to blow through the contractions until we made it to the hospital. DH really didn't want to deliver a baby in my car.
August 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to stay in the water, with the water running and eyes closed. I had my DH telling me how and when to breath and I zoned out completely. I couldn't even tell you if anyone talked to me. Now, once I hit transition, there wasn't nothing that I could do to zone out. I just got through each contraction and focused on the contraction to keep from crumbling.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
August 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did Hypnobabies, so being quiet, loose, focusing on breathing (filling my body with as much oxygen as I could, then slowly releasing it, thinking that when my body was full of air my uterus had more room to do what was needed). Also, with Hypnobabies I created a special place and I went there A LOT! One more thing, lol, I would imagine with every contraction that my baby was giving me a nice, huge hug. That helped so much.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

August 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
hypnobabies worked wonders for me. i was able to go limp and breathe the sensation away.
August 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I too need quiet and really go inside myself during contractions. My only real complaint about my midwife with Vivian was once she got to my house she made it a bit harder for me. She teaches hypnobirthing and she kept talking to me through each one. Stuff about being a mama lion, it derailed me from the hypnobabies. Since Vivie came so early we haden't had any real talks about the actual birth. Also her and my friends phones kept going off and I do remember complaining about that. They both turned them off.

With Cadies birth, which was a lot tougher, I just reminded myself of my goal and the reasons why. I think just surrendering is the best way to go. You get a break in between contractions to gather strength. Thinking of them as waves is helpful, hold on for the ride and let go at the same time.
August 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
missmich
Oh about the phone thing.... that would rive me crazy! It's one small reason that I've un invited a friend to my birth. During the hospital tour (well right before it started) this friend kept having a silly on going argument with her roommate via text even though I'd asked her not to and to turn it off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search