want to go natural

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Super Mommy
Hi, I am 15 weeks along (in the February 2011 DDC) and I am wanting to have a natural childbirth, but don't know where to start. My DH says that if I can have pain meds, I might as well get them, but I feel like going natural would be the best thing for myself and the baby. I am scared about the pain and concerned I will bail out, so I really want to be prepared. My mom and two sisters had almost 24 hour labors for their firsts. They were all young mothers, though, I am 33. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Anyway, all the help I can get would be great, I really need to get ready for this big event.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
August 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!

I recommend reading as much as possible and taking a class that focuses on NCB if possible. I took Bradley courses and loved them. A lot of ladies like the Hypnobabies course and there are others as well. Also, I would try to get your husband on board as much as possible. It's so much more helpful to have him on your side and fully supporting your desire for a NCB.

Some books I liked were Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Birthing from Within, Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way, and Husband Coached Childbirth.

August 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
missmich
I'm due in 3 weeks with my first baby as well and I'm also a bit older at 34. I'm scared! I don't like pain especially in that area! I also have no idea of what will happen during the birth. I mean I've read about it,it's been explained to me and I've seen videos but I don't know for sure what will happen or what it's really like.

I did hear somewhere that the older you are the easier it is to cope with the pain. I don't know if this is true or not. I do believe that the more we know about child birth and the different techniques and ways to deal with pain the better off we are though.

I've heard great things about Ina May and her books!

Make sure you have a good birth plan that you share with your DH and doctor. Have you thought about having a doula? I have one and am confident that she can get me through with no pain meds or at least get me pretty far with out them. If you don't think you can afford a doula but really want one look for a student who may be free or give you a great deal.
August 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! You will love it here, it's great! I also recommend, "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth."
August 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bradley Classes and Ina May's books were integral in helping me to believe I can do this without meds. Oh, and hanging out here.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
August 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! It's great to see another person from the Feb DDC. This is a great board and everyone is so helpful!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Welcome! I also agree with reading as much as you can. A childbirth class like Bradley or Hypnobabies might be a good idea since this is your first. I didn't take a class for my NCB (wasn't in the budget) but I had already experienced labor. A good way to get your DH on board is to have him watch The Business of Being Born. My DH took some convincing on why a NCB was better. I'm not sure he agreed with me in the end, but he was willing to support my decision after I threatened to not let him in the room.
August 21st, 2010, 07:49 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

That was exactly my husband's take on meds when I got pregnant. We took Bradley classes and that really helped him get on board and understand where I was coming from.

August 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and Congrats!

Your whole labor isn't painful. For the most part it feels like menstrual cramps. Transition (and maybe a little before that) is what can be painful and intense. My first labor was 27 hours and second labor was 24 hours, and only around 2 hours was it painful at the end before pushing. Being able to stand and squat really helped me. However, I had a homebirth. If you're in the hospital they like to make you lay down flat on your back, which is not the best position to be in. Try to keep on your feet or be on a birth ball.

Books I recommend are -

My Best Birth
Hypnobabies
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

I would also recommend trying to find an independant chldbirth class (not one at the hospital) that does natural childbirths.
August 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
hi and welcome! the most important things you can do are inform yourself and have support. getting DH on board is a really big deal, he needs to understand why it's important and be your advocate when the time comes.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Welcome!!!

A lot of good advice has been given. I was at a Birthing center, so natural was the only choice For unusual circumstances i was transferred, but while I was at the birth center, the contractions were strong and hurt, but nothing that i could not tolerate. I did a lot of walking, especially up and down the stairs, which really helped. That is why i was glad i was at a birthing center, I was able to move as I pleased.

August 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all... CONGRATS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Being able to stand and squat really helped me. However, I had a homebirth. If you're in the hospital they like to make you lay down flat on your back, which is not the best position to be in.
I just wanted to add that this is not true for all hospitals. I had a hospital NCB with an OB for Avery & I labored however I was comfortable. Standing, on all fours w/ the birthing ball, etc with intermittent monitoring. Talk to your practioner ASAP about an NCB so that you have time to change providers &/or birth locations if they are unsupportive.

I know its hard when you're preggo, but try to stay as active as possible. L&D is def more of a marathon than a sprint. My legs were like jello after Avery's birth & I was glad I walked 3-4 times/week right up to her birth day.
August 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks so much for your help. I know DH wants to be helpful, I think he just worries about having to watch me be in pain. I will see what I can do about getting him to watch a movie with me. He has indicated in the past that it sounds gross to watch another woman give birth and he will just be by my head anyway He gets squeamish in hospitals and at the site of blood.
I can't afford a doula or any classes (we have a high deductible insurance so we are paying A LOT of money out of pocket for the birth). But I will see if these books are in the library and check out that movie.

Oh, and hi Jennifer

August 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! I am surprised. I tested DH (he is at work) about whether he would watch the movie with me. He said "sounds gross" again, but after I explained that I wanted both of us to know what would be going on so that he could support me through the childbirth he said ok. So now I just need to find the movie. I know he isn't too excited about it, but it means a lot to me that he is still willing to view it, even though he thinks it is gross I am going to the library today to see if I can find the books that have been recommended.

August 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you can watch it on line on Netflix, if you do not have a Netflix membership, you can do a free week trial

August 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also did Bradley with my 1st and found that even that I did not stick to all its recomendations 100% if we excellent in educating me and my husband.

August 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Super Mommy
I reserved the movie on netflix and I tried to find the books at the library, but they were already checked out so I reserved them. I ended up getting the idiot's guide to natural childbirth for now

August 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi, welcome!!! I'm Cheryl, co-host here and mommy to Acadia ( 2 1/2) and Vivian (2 1/2 months). Thanks for joining us!

Please check out the subforum here for lots of good info, links, sites, articles etc. I recommend the thinking woman's guide to a better birth as a starting point. It will really help you understand all the factors to birth and what you are comfortable with and want to avoid. It's a great way to educate yourself.
August 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
missmich
Oh no! Please don't say you can't afford a doula! If you really want one look around for a student who may be free of charge! I'm poor,like really poor and I've got a great doula. I'm low income and there are 2 agencies in my city that offers doulas to women who are low income. I'm not sure if you're low income or just don't have the extra money for a doula,but if you really want one then it's worth looking around for a student who isn't charging anything now or who will do a payment plan or has a sliding scale or who is willing to do a barter exchange.
August 22nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with lots that's said here! Another great movie is orgasmic birth. LOL - yes I said orgasmic Even if watching women give birth seems 'icky' I think it's a super important thing - to help normalize it for you and DH - so it's not freaky or weird when you go there.
In active labour you go into a special place - my childbirth teacher called it labour land It's kind of the brain/body's way of coping with a really powerful experience. I think it's really helpful to watch positive natural child birth videos - so you see woman in that place and realize it isn't scary. It's a bit like being in a trance. It's magical
The business of being born is good - but the midwife in it shows her birth - and she has trouble letting go and gets a bit freaked out. I don't think it's the most positive example of a NCB. You should watch other ones too.
I also think reading Ina May's Guide to child birth is really important. I LOVE that book. If you can't get DH to read it - read him sections allowed. It will help him understand why NCB is important.
I'm sorry my DH threw out my handouts from our NCB class or I'd mail them to you. Sigh. That ended in a big fight.
I also agree you should try to find a student doula. Look up DONA on line and contact them - they can hook you up with someone who can help you for cheep or free. (((hugs))) and we are here for you too!
And you [B]can[/e] do it! You are made for it! It is really an amazing awesome empowering experience! not the scary BS you see on TV!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search