Food/Drinks for birth center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Experienced mamas, what did you bring to snack on and keep your energy up?

And girls with upcoming births, have you planned or shopped for food to eat while in labor?

This is on my to do list and was just hoping to get some ideas from you guys!

August 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I brought Gatorade with me to the hospital. Once I was there, they let me eat just about anything I wanted, so I got things like graham crackers with peanut butter, jello, juice, fruit, things like that. I tried to keep it somewhat light, but I wanted to make sure to get some protein and sugar.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

August 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Birds_of_a_feather's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To be honest, I was in so much pain that food/drink was the last thing on my mind. I'm planning to have drinks and fresh fruits, cheese and bread handy but I doubt I'll eat anything

August 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm bringing Recharge (which is like a more natural Gatorade), coconut water (lots of electrolytes), some yogurt smoothie things, some applesauce squeezer things from trader joes and maybe some honey sticks.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
August 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sports drink and some cookies, but all i could eat was a milkshake! LOL

August 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've never had any desire to eat during labor. I brought a huge water bottle to every birth though. With my last (homebirth) my midwife made me eat a yogurt

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
We brought a bunch of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola bars, drinks for the kids and a bag of candy (per my husbands request) LOL! We figured if it ended up taking a long time that we would just have food delivered to the center. Didn't up being there long enough to need to eat anything though, well I think I had a peach or something a hour or so after he was born but that was because my husband was forcing me to eat something I really wasn't hungry.

Facebook
August 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I had a case of Boost, a box of granola bars and bottled water. I think next time I'll also include a side of beef to eat after delivery.
August 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since I will be home I plan on having a bunch of options. Mainly fruits, yogurt and crackers (nothing with strong smells).

August 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
honey sticks are a great idea
August 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
missmich
I've been looking for honey sticks/straws and can't find them anywhere. I hope to be able ti find them soon.

I plan to take a Powerade,some fruit leather,a granola bar,maybe some carrot sticks. Not sure what else.

About the coconut water,what does it taste like? Is it the same as drinking from a coconut? I had a fresh coconut in NYC once,you know the kind they sell on the street with a straw in it. It was so gross!
August 22nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
About the coconut water,what does it taste like? Is it the same as drinking from a coconut? I had a fresh coconut in NYC once,you know the kind they sell on the street with a straw in it. It was so gross!
It's been a while since I drank coconut juice straight from a coconut but I think it's pretty similar. I find if it's really cold, I like it much better than when it's not that cold. The juice box or canned coconut water also can be flavored - they make a lime one in the can that is okay, but my favorite is the guava one that comes in juicebox form. I also like the pineapple one.

I do know it's got great levels of potassium and magnesium so it's really good for mamas to be.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
August 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
coconut water is not that sweet if it's from a young green coconut, and sweeter if it's from a ripe brown coconut. i love it!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
missmich
Ok I'm going to check out some coconut water then when I visit the Chinese stores. I can also ask the ladies who work there to help me find what I need. I'm thinking that if it's super cold it may be all right. I may try the pineapple one,that sounds yummy!
August 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't deal with flavors during active labour. I ate one slice of apple and one sip of juice. All I wanted was water.
In early labour I ate everything LOL. We were at home and stocked up on fruit and juice and such.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
August 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Super Mommy
we are getting ready to have a baby in a birth center and i have packed a box of granola bars and gatorade. also, my giant water bottle to refill as needed.

i'm not sure i will eat anything, but i figured i should pack them just in case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search