co-sleepers (OT)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i will definitely be co sleeping provided that this little one wants to! i kept my daughter in bed with me, but this time i would like a little more room in the bed and want to get the 'arms reach co sleeper.' so the mini one sells for like $140 at walmart and the 'mini clear vue' is only $90. same weight restrictions but basically the sides are mesh so you can see your baby clearly and there is more air flowing through (which seems safer to me.) i am just wondering, why such a price difference? just because the one looks nicer than the other? does anyone have a clue about this? sorry if i sound like an idiot.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anything about that... we used this snuggle nest from wal-mart which is a little box that goes in the bed and it ROCKED. I was so sad when she outgrew it! It was the hardest thing I've had to put away, I think, lol.

August 23rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
we have the mini, it is shorter. We were living in NJ when we bought it and my side of the bed didn't have a lot of room for the bigger one. I can't remember when Cadie outgrew it but it was maybe about 7 months old?

If you want the mini, you can have ours when we are done with it. I don't know about the "clear-vue", but ours has mesh on the long side that does not go against the bed. The short sides does not.

obviously that doesn't answer your question, sorry.
August 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoconut View Post
I don't know anything about that... we used this snuggle nest from wal-mart which is a little box that goes in the bed and it ROCKED. I was so sad when she outgrew it! It was the hardest thing I've had to put away, I think, lol.
we never used a co-sleeper on the side of the bed, corbin always just laid in the bed with us. i recently got one of these "nest" things from my SIL and it seems really sturdy! i don't know if we will use it in the bed, but it seems like an awesome thing to have for naps and traveling.

August 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I used the snuggle nest too. I really wanted the arms reach but didn't want to spend the money on it. The only downside to the snugglenest is that our bed is a queen size and felt cramped with it in there and I had to take her out to nurse her. Now she co-sleeps part of the night so she just snuggles up to me
August 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
we just sidecarred the crib. Since we already had a crib it seemed like a waste of money to get a special co-sleeper...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We tried the "Safe and Secure Co-sleeper" which is a little bed that goes in our bed. Juliana will fuss if we put her there. Most of the time she'll only sleep snuggled up to me. I didn't think I'd ever do that but we are.

August 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I've never had a baby that would cosleep with me until Kendra. Both my DS and DD did not sleep well when I tried to cosleep with them. Well, Carlie did until she was about 2 months old and then she had had enough. Kendra hated the cradle from the moment we came home. We came home on a Wed. and by Friday, I was at BRU buying an Arm's Reach. My DH is a REALLY heavy sleeper, and I wasn't getting any sleep because I was either worried he's roll on her or if I put her on the other side of me, I was worried she'd roll off the bed. The cosleeper is by far one of the best purchases I've made. I LOVE it and wish I would've had it for the other 2 kids. Maybe they would've coslept better. Anyways, I have the mini one with the mesh sides. The side folds down and it's snug against our bed, so it's just like a continuation of our bed, if that makes sense. Most nights, she still snuggled up next to me, but I don't have to worry about her rolling of the side of the bed, and I use the cosleeper to hold diapers/wipes and bottles. I really love it and I have a feeling I'll be sad when she outgrows it. I might have to sidecar the crib after that.

August 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We too are just sidecaring our crib..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
August 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I think one of those models is also a pack and play, no?

We used the snuggle nest from 0-4 months, then a cosleeper bassinet ($50 from a friend) for 4-7, then from 7-present we are using a side car crib. The side car crib is the way to go and I would not have even needed the cosleeper. We got a cheap crib for $99 at walmart.

August 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I use the Snugglenest on nights DH is at work. Our queen bed is too crowded with it when all three of us are in it. So on nights DH is home we take turns being awake and snuggling with her. He prefers to bring her out on the couch with him and I just stay in the side-lying nursing position with her. Right now it's warm so I don't need the sheets or blankets so I feel safe for the most part. I'm not sure how we'll work it when it gets cold again.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
We have the bigger co-sleeper. I think Sam would be WAY too big for the smaller one at this point. I would go with the bigger one if you have the option. I think the smaller one goes up to 20 pounds or something and the bigger one holds around 30 pounds or so. I think once Sam starts pulling up we'll lower it down and put it next to our bed and use it like a crib, since he can use it for a bit longer and it takes less space than a crib.
August 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It looks like the difference between the 2 - It has mesh all the way around, so you can always see your baby (I don't really understand that feature, we used our by our bed, so she was in view anyway). The other difference is that it's JUST a co-sleeper. If you look at the mini, it converts to a playpen later on, the Clear Vue just has a shelf for storage underneath the bed.
Baby Beds : Arm's Reach® Baby Bassinets - Baby Bedding, Furniture, Cribs, CO-SLEEPER&reg Brand Baby Bassinets

We bought the original Arm's Reach before Anna was born and LOVE it! We used it every day and night until she was about 7 months and started pulling to standing. After that, we used it as a playpen in the family room for a little bit then put it away. Sidecarring our crib would have taken a lot of manuevering to get everything to line up and the crib is bigger, so it would have taken up a lot of room in our already cramped bedroom. It was so much better than just a pack'n'play because she was bedside - I never had to get out of bed to take her out put her back in. Between the weight limit (DD #1 grew quickly and outgrew the pack'n'play by 3 months) and the size, I would recommend the original. You can find them on sale online a lot of place, I think we got ours for $120 with free shipping. Check AlbeeBaby.com which usually has them on sale or do a search and compare prices on them and you should be able to find one pretty cheap (even if you go with the mini, you should be able to find it on sale somewhere).

Expecting baby #4!

August 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post

If you want the mini, you can have ours when we are done with it. I don't know about the "clear-vue", but ours has mesh on the long side that does not go against the bed. The short sides does not.
that would be awesome....but do you think shipping would be crazy?

i thought at first i would only need the mini, but now i am thinking i may want the original because i wasn't planning on buying a crib.
oh well, i have lots of time to think about it.

thanks everyone for your input.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
August 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
i saw the mini today at a consignment store and it seriously looked like a dolls bed. i couldn't believe how small it was. get the bigger one!
August 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
yeah i think i will go with the full size one.

i checked out allbeebaby and they do have good prices, thanks Andrea!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
August 25th, 2010, 04:57 AM
mommabirdof4
We just side-carred the crib right before JoJo came along just so we had more room...since we had a toddler in bed already. We never used anything special for lil Jimmy he has always just slept in bed with us...even in the hosptial.
August 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're using the mini right now and I love it.
August 25th, 2010, 08:50 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
lol, I think doll size is a bit of an stretch, but yeah, it isn't meant for long term use.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search