Doula at a Birth Center?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to decide if we want to use a doula or not. The midwife is pretty much with you the whole time you're in labor, unless you specifically ask for alone time. But I'm still debating on a doula. I mean, an extra pair of hands can't hurt, right? And maybe she would be useful while laboring at home, etc.? I just don't want to spend a lot of money (they are around $500-600 here I think) and not REALLY need her.

What do you guys think?

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I would do it. I wish I had gotten a doula for Kya's birth. In fact a couple weeks before she was born I had panic attacks about it but didn't listen to my instincts. My midwife was great, but she had a lot to do setting up her stuff and wasn't able to be 100% with ME like I needed.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My midwife spent a large portion of my labor fighting with nurses and the OB trying to get permission to set up a birth pool for me (one elevated bp reading upon arrival). I was glad to have my doula present. She paced with me, helped me go to the bathroom, and prepared a large bucket of cold wash clothes for pushing. Worth a million bucks!

August 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
go for it!
August 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
My mom will be there. However, I hear the a Doula can really help DH/Dad cope and give him suggestions of things to do, etc. I have heard rave reviews about doulas from dads. I'm hoping someone will tell my DH what to do if it looks like he's feeling uncomfortable or in the way!

[url=http://lilypie.com]
August 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am definitely using a doula and MW this time (we decided to use a doula even before we decided to use a MW). I did not have one last time, and even with my husband and mother there, is analysing what worked and what we could have done better we thought a doula would be really helpful, especially post patum when everyone is (as they should be) concerned with the baby, it is nice to have someone for you to help cleaning yourself, up, showering, etc...

August 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never used one and I've been perfectly happy with that. But I guess in my situation my mom was the doula kind of. She has been a labor coach for several people including me with my first. She was a definite support for DH this time around. He was busy timing contractions trying to figure out when to call the MW to come (he was pretty stressed about this )and she was able to do other things like set up the bed, draw a bath, call his parents.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I am using a doula. I also have a midwife, but there is no guarantee she won't have another patient in labor, get pulled from my room, whatever, and I like the security that a doula will be there the ENTIRE time 100% just for me. DH melts when I am in labor so I need a doula
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
August 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I'll meet with a few and see how it goes from there!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search