Crazy shows

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 07:32 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I admit I watch birth and baby shows all the time. It is just so bizarre to me how the nurse comes in and checks the patient, tells them they are ready for pushing, then says to wait a while until the doctor arrives. I mean, I was the one letting my midwife know when I was ready, and the very idea of not pushing when complete is laughable. No wonder hospitals and doctors prefer patients with epidurals - normal birth just isn't that calm and scheduled!

My husband doesn't understand why I watch these shows. He can't watch them, he gets angry, lol. I don't even know why. I guess I just want to understand it all. Plus I love babies and birth. Too bad there's no natural birth shows.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
August 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
haha i was watching a baby story the other day and the doctor was there and telling the woman not to push, because she wasn't ready yet. AND it was a pitocin induced labor and the doctor kept talking about mother nature. huh???

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Even before I really researched a lot about natural birth, I always thought it was bizarre and quite against nature when the nurse would tell a mother to "wait for the doctor" even though the poor woman in labour was ready.

Your body wants to push, why would you TRY to fight against it just to wait for the doc? If a nurse says that to me when I am in labour they're going to hear it.

But anyways, yes, I agree, those TV shows are insane. It just makes me so mad that many of them focus on birth as a medical emergency and not something that is normal and natural and needs to be controlled.

August 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I loved watching those shows too. They were actually very informative - they give you the literal picture of a bubble gum birth. Nearly all of them are the same scenario created by the nurses and Dr.'s. Those shows solidify my beliefs of NCB

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was one for a short while called "House of Babies" that focused on a FSBC. I can't watch any of them. They make me want to scream and throw things at the TV.

August 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm guilty of watching these shows. They're ridiculous sometimes.

August 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually watched one yesterday where a woman had a wonderful and peaceful waterbirth in a hospital with a midwife. It was her 3rd baby and it was so cool to watch that - I want to have a birth like that. Unfortunately episodes like that are few and far between.

August 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
These shows drive me batty too. Dh has all but banned me from watching them because I text him all upset and angry at his work.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Guilty here too! The few natural ones I have seen normal have some sort of crazy twist, I really think as my due date approaches I should stop watching!

August 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Those shows piss me off. Every now and then a good natural one is on, but most of them drive me insane. I'd be annoyed if I was told to wait for a doctor to push. I'm very thankful that the L&D nurse I got had NCBs for her kids and told me to go ahead and push Abri out without the doctor there. She was awesome.

My sister had a scheduled induction and her doctor didn't even show up. She was at another hospital down the street and didn't expect the pitocin to work as quickly as it did. I'd be annoyed if that were me, but then again I wouldn't have scheduled an elective induction like she did. Oh well.
August 26th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I watch them, too. I stopped watching them as I got closer to my due date, though. I didn't want those negative images in my mind. But yeah, I still watch them. I can't imagine not being able to push when I was ready. DH was shocked that my midwife stayed by my side for over an hour and that she was there even before I started pushing. With my other two, the dr. walked in just in time to deliver DS and DD. Definitely a different experience with Kendra. I wouldn't do it any other way if I have another baby.

August 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM
missmich
I used to watch them when I had cable years ago. One time a woman had just arrived at the hospital and right away she started to cry and BEG for a c-section. The doc said no though b/c she really had just started to labor. I remember thinking what a big baby,she didn't even try to have a natural or even medicated birth. I think a c-section should be used as a last resort or for a major medical reason.

If my nurse tells me not to push I'll say ok sure why don't wait for me in the hall and I'll wait for the doc to come before I push. As soon as she's gone I'll be pushing if I need to. If my body says push I'll push if I feel I need to and that I'm ready.

One issue I may have with the hospital is they will want to get the placenta delivered right away. My doula tells me they won't allow me time to deliver it naturally and will give me pitocin to help speed things up. I won't allow this though. I'm surprised they do this and would insist on it since they are very NCB friendly.

My response to them when they say I need this I'm going to ask if they have to poop. Then I'm going to tell them to go to the bathroom and poop,right now go make a poop! Oh,what you can't poop right now? Well my placenta isn't ready to come out yet so we're waiting.
August 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw an episode where the nurse had her 'practice push' and when it looked like baby was coming, she then had to wait for the doctor to get to the hospital from HOME!!!!! Heck no!

I am sure part of that is because if the doctor isn't there, they can't claim the birth to the insurance.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, they totally can and do! When my friend transferred, the nurse was talking to our midwife about how one doctor calls the births he misses his "favorite births." She said the hospital gets pissed at the doctors for missing them but they don't care.

August 27th, 2010, 04:31 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Oh, they totally can and do! When my friend transferred, the nurse was talking to our midwife about how one doctor calls the births he misses his "favorite births." She said the hospital gets pissed at the doctors for missing them but they don't care.
If that's his attitude, then he needs to find another specialty or retire completely. That's just sad.
August 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I'm glad no one told me to wait to push. I was not quite complete but was pushing already. My MW simply reached up and pushed my cervix out of the way so I could continue pushing. Thank God because there was no way I could fight the pressure!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent'sMommy View Post
I actually watched one yesterday where a woman had a wonderful and peaceful waterbirth in a hospital with a midwife. It was her 3rd baby and it was so cool to watch that - I want to have a birth like that. Unfortunately episodes like that are few and far between.
Yes, very very few. Usually they'll say something like, "So and so plans for an unmedicated waterbirth......... but circumstances arose...." I think most shows actually take the effort to show women who try and fail (to go without drugs). They definitely give the attitude that it's nearly impossible. Makes me roll my eyes every time. The average woman has such a skewed perspective of birth.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
August 27th, 2010, 09:22 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I was actually told not to push with my second, for over 20 minutes. by the time the dr ran in and said PUSH, he pretty much fell out. a preemie, 4lbs, my body did it just fine without any effort from me.

NOT fun.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I just saw one the other day, the woman decided to go natural, she was ready to push and the nurse told her she had to wait because the Dr was detained elsewhere. How can you tell a mother in labor ready to push that she can't? I thought that was insane!!!!
August 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I really like the show House of Babies! After that went off the air, I really didn't get into many of them. I usually turn them on, watch a few minutes and if it's not NCB oriented I shut it off! LOL

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search