First time mom-no choice but to go a la natural

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
1st Time Mommy ~10-8-10~
Hi Ladies!

I am new to this forum but I am an active member of the October DDC.

Due to a medical mishap back in 2003, where I was having knee surgery and had a heart attack after being given fentanyl and versed, I have been told by my doctor and a cardiologist that I cannot be given any type of medication during labor. My only option is to have morphine if I want it.

I think morphine is just utterly pointless. First it has same affects on baby as on me. Second, I don't want that to eb the first med my baby is ever exposed to and third, seriously what is the point. So other than the off chance that I have to have a C section -which they will most likely give me general anesthesia and put me under which I don't want and hope to God won't happen, I am planning on doing this naturally.

Since I am mentally preparing myself to do this naturally and this is my first baby I was wondering if any of you had some tips or suggestions. What works for you? What is a no no during labor? My birthing class gave me lots of good tips and my SO and I plan on using them as much as possible, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some good ideas!

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it!

August 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Oh wow, you're 33 weeks already... Better get crackin on the reading!! Welcome BTW. Best advice would be to devour the threads on this forum. Check out the subforum as well.

I read this book: Amazon.com: Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way: Revised Edition (9780452276598):…

Not sure what you mean by "no no" during labor. You can do whatever you need to do. What's more important is what you need to do during labor to help your body along and relax Support structure is important as well!!

Welcome to the NCB board!!!

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

August 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Welcome!

Are you at a birth center or NCB friendly hospital? Walking and moving around helped me get thru the contractions the best. Also, the birthing/balance ball was a great help to me. Have you read Ina May's guide to childbirth? if not, i would get that!

August 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Welcome! I also read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and recommend it. Get as much reading in as you can. I spent some time in the shower- the hot water helped me relax during contractions. I didn't have the opportunity to labor at the hospital (super fast labor), but I do know my hospital had showers for that purpose. Just remember that you can do this!! The power of positive thought can do wonders.
August 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
missmich
Welcome! I'd suggest checking out the sub forums as well. I got tons of info there. I'm hoping for a NCB and am learning a few things to help me get through the pain. It's important to go in with a lot of info and helpful tips since some won't work for and some will work really well for you.

Do you meditate at all or do yoga? Some people like to focus on breathing or a yoga pose they find helpful.

My doula says get up and move around and change positions as much as you can. A heating pad or Magic Bag on your lower back or your front where you feel the contractions can be helpful. A nice hot bath or shower is helpful also. Not sure if your hospital has a bath tub for you,they should have a shower though. Mine has a bath tub but most will have a shower. I plan to labor at home for the most part as well so I can have a bath.

Does you SO know how to rub your back the right way and in the right spot? He can apply some counter pressure during a contraction.

I'm told that when it's time to push it's better not to be on your back,though most doctors like you that way.

Do you have a birth plan? I'd make one and write it down and show it to the nurses and doctor.
August 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Yes, absolutely - stay off your back! That is by far the worst position to be in during labor and pushing.

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

August 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
Welcome! Definitely check out the subforum here--there's lots of good information. I just had my first NCB, and I have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I never thought I could do it, either. Being a part of this board helped me immensely. Do all the research/reading you can, and when the time comes, follow your body. It's amazing how you will just know what to do. Go with what works and know that you can do it!

August 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there,

Checking in from the September DDC. My DDB (missmich) advised that I check out this board, specifically your post because we are in the same boat.

I am further along than you-will be 39 weeks tomorrow-and just found out less than a week ago that I will not have the option of an epidural due to a low blood platelet count (non pre-e related). This also means that they will stay away from a c-section unless absolutely necessary, but if so, I will also have to go under, which makes me really really sad .

Anyway, I just asked for some advice on our board and most of the women talked about focusing on the end result of the baby and just remembering that our bodies are made to do this...without drugs. Some women mentioned water, others talk about oxygen, and of course, moving around and laboring at home as much as possible. Unfortunately for me, our hospital is an hour away, so for fear of progressing too quickly, I don't want to do too much laboring at home, but I am going to beg and plead to walk around and move as much as humanly possible.

I also have a good friend who has given birth to 3 babies, all were all natural births. She said that what helped her the most was going inside herself and just getting in tune with the baby. She strongly feels that it is a collaboration between mama and baby and that if you keep that in mind, you will make it. Her story is kind of beautiful, and I'd be happy to forward it to you in a private message if you're interested.

Best of luck to you and sorry to hear that this has happened, but you know what, maybe it is for the best for both of us? I had always invisioned an all natural birth, but doubted that I could do it. Now that my birth plan is pre-determined, I know what I have to do.
August 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I second the Bradley book. I also found a lot of the information in the book Birthing from Within to be good. It is a little 'earth mother' in the beginning, so I kid of glossed over that portion, the last few chapters were great.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
missmich
Oh Amy I'm so glad you joined us here! You may want to check out the natural birth stories as well and read about the births some of these mamas had. I have to start reading a few stories as well to get some more ideas.

Maybe a good idea for those who can't take the epi or other drugs for whatever reason should have a written list of techniques with them for them and their partner. That way you won't have to remember them and can look at the list if you feel stuck for ideas.

Birthing Naturally,that site also has some good ideas for managing pain,positions and some great birth plan samples.
August 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
1st Time Mommy ~10-8-10~
Thank you so much for all the ideas and suggestions thus far ladies!!!! I really appreciate it.

I will def check out the Ina May book. My SO and I plan on using the bath ALOT both before we go to the hospital and once we get there since one is in the room. The hospital we are at is natural birthing friendly. They have the birthing balls, the birthing stools, etc. SO is going to have to bursh up on massage techniques tho. He had a hard time massaging me before I was prego b/c I have strong back muscles due to swimming competively all my life- I always tell him more pressure more pressure ... lol.

I am working on a birthing plan as we speak. I am not really nervous about it anymore-very calm about it. As some of you said-our bodies are made to do this so I'm just working on remaining calm. Our birthing coach said just to focus on labor in 20 min increments. She had 7 children naturally and said that if you just say okay 20 mins and focus on the fact that baby is coming and not to panic then the body will do the rest. I am truthfully kind of excited!!

Thank you again!

August 27th, 2010, 07:36 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I was forced to stay in bed my whole labor because I had Pitocin and Mag. Staying on my side (left and right) helped a lot. I also stayed somewhat upright when I had to be on my back. Whenever the nurses would leave the room I would have my doula and DH flip me up onto hands and knees and that helped a lot! I ended up pushing on my left side and delivered that way.

As first time moms I wouldn't worry too much about fast labors. Labor at home as long as you are comfortable with it! Getting to the hospital too early is your worst enemy! I was in labor for 18.5 hours even though Ash is my second baby and by the end even my doula was telling me it was okay to get the epidural. If I had gone into labor on my own and stayed at home the nurses and everyone else wouldn't have had the opportunity to tempt me! In the end I never gave in but it was somewhat discouraging to have my labor support telling me I should give up!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
doing as much research as possible and knowing the benefits will help you immensely. Read the birth stories, here and the home birth board too. Try to avoid pitocin if at all possible. Labor may be longer without it, but if it can progress naturally on it's own, you will be better able to handle it. Also, refuse if they want to break your water. It hurts more after it's broken and if you don't progress quickly it can make the Dr consider C-section sooner.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

August 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there! Welcome! I think the fact that you know you have to do it pain free is goingto help you. To me natural labor is mind over matter. I have had 3 NCBs and I have just had in my head that pain meds were not an option. So for you and the fact they really aren't I think is going to be a real help. That being said, you will need to stay postitive about that fact. You could easy start to get tired and/or depressed that you have to do it this way. It's times like those you will need to focus on your baby and how wonderful its going to be to meet him or her! But it seems to me you are excited to do it natural so hopefully that won't even enter your mind!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM
missmich
I'm going to focus on my baby and how sweet he is and all that bla bla bla.....and also the yummy cheesecake I plan to have as a treat for myself when I get home Hahahaha,YES,I am getting myself a little bribe/treat for after I give birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search