Did you use a Doula or take any classes?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
What classes did you take to help you get through labor naturally. Did you use a Doula? Or did you just do a bunch of research and go for it?
August 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I hired a doula and did a bunch of research. Mostly I just winged it.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i took the birthing class at my birth center and had a doula.

August 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM
missmich
Well I'm not quite done yet,so I still have time to learn as much as I can until my little man arrives.

I do have a doula who's taught me so much and helped me come up with ideas for my birth plan. She told me about some choice I had no idea that I could even make. Did you know that it might be possible for the mama to cut the cord? I didn't.

I've tons of research on the net and have visited a few forums and asked lots of questions and right now I'm reading some different birth stories. Both mainstream hospital births and more natural births. I want to know what different types of births are like so I can be more prepared when it's my turn.

I did take 2 classes that were 2 hours each. They were taught by a lactation consultant who was a former nurse and midwife from The Uk. I learned the basics of birth and what happens,some breathing and pushing positions,massage and what pain meds are available and the pros and cons of each.

I'm feeling a lot more prepared but I'm still scared and not to sure what will happen or what options I'll end up choosing,but at least I have a clear idea of what could happen and I'm very confident that my doula will help me get through it all.
August 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
I had a doula and Lee and I studied Hypnobabies. I think the material you study can vary alot based on personal preference so it's hard to make a recommendation one way or another there, but I would recommend a doula to anyone. She was absolutely essential and worth her weight in gold.

August 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
for #1 I had a doula and we took a holistic natural childbirth class taught by her, it was great. Both were very helpful. For #2 I did the hypnobabies home study and we had a home birth, so I did not hire a doula.
August 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I mostly just winged it. I did some research, and I got the Hypnobabies home study course but decided it wasn't for me. I only made it thru 2 weeks of it. There aren't any doulas in my area or I would've considered that. I basically just decided to trust my body and pray for the best. Thank God it worked out! LOL! And I had a really wonderful NCB-friendly nurse with me during delivery, so I kind of lucked out there. She hardly left my side.

August 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
with Brylie : took Bradley and no doula - pretty successful i had an amazing nurse as well, no pain meds after 20 hours on Pit...awesome midwife

with bebo : I have a doula hired already, and then I am going to be teaching Bradley so I guess I'm eternally taking a class same awesome midwife...awesome brand new hospital that my midwife told me via email last night she is going to be starting a waterbirth protocol so i will get my waterbirth

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just researched a ton, read a couple of good books, read tons of natural birth stories, watched tons of natural births on youtube and took the Hypnobabies Home Study Course.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

August 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't had our baby yet but we decided on a doula and a Bradley class, plus I've read a lot of books on my own.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
August 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For #1 we took the full Bradley Course (no Doula) and were successful. I though especially as a first time mom it was very informative, and I felt like I went into labor and delievery very well informed and prepared.

This time we hired a doula (the one thing I reget not doing with my 1st) since we could not find a Bradley refresher in are area we did a Birthing from Within Course.

August 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really didn't do anything. I'm a childbirth educator myself so I already know the speaches, the research, the pros and cons etc. And I didn't have a Doula because I had a Midwife and she had an assistant and they both acted more like Doulas because Dh and I wanted to do most of the stuff ourselves but have another pair of eyes there. I do think having a close relationship with a Doula is a good idea, and if you can find a good class on NCB that is good also and really helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search