Hi Mamas, Need Encouragement!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies!
So........I've been really enthusiastic and ready for a NCB since I conceived, pretty much, and even more so after our Bradley Class, but as I approach my EDD I'm finding I'm having one little concern that I know you all can help me with....

The women in my family tend to "go early" with their babies (my mom delivered me and my brother NCB at 37 and 36 weeks, my grandma had her kids NCB at 37 and 36 weeks) so all along through my pregnancy I kinda just assumed I'd be going early, and with that, I kinda assumed baby would be on the smallish side. (DH and I are BIG folks, he's 6' 4" and I'm 5' 10") Baby has always measured a little bigger according to our 12 and 20 week u/s but my fundal measurements have been spot on the whole time.

So, as I approach my EDD (I'm a week away today), I am really getting used to the thought of going long. I told my prenatal chiropractor yesterday that I'm thinking now I'm going more like 41 1/2 and she agreed with me. I know she's no authority, any more than anyone else, it's all just a guessing game right now (I haven't had any internal exams and don't expect to, unless I hit my EDD and then some, I suppose.)

And I really actually don't have an issue with going long, I'm loving the nesting urges (house is spotless AND organized for once in my life!) and still very much enjoying being pregnant. My fear is around this baby being HUGE and not being able to have a NCB because of a big baby. (This is my first.) Like I said, I'm big, DH is big, and my bone structure is not tiny either - a midwife told me to judge my "shoe size plus one" and that is the equivalent of pounds I can easily deliver - well, I wear a 10 so I could easily deliver an 11 pounder by her rule; but I'm still finding myself thinking and being a little TOO concerned about "big baby." I should also say that I've gained 50+ pounds in pregnancy. (Which doesn't concern my mw either, she reminds me I was thin to begin with and I've got a large frame for all the weight to spread out on...)

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I'm hoping some of you can encourage me that I really *can* do this, that there's no knowing if I have a huge baby or a little one, and even still, to trust my body and the birth process. Right? Right. I've just seen too many "Baby Stories" where they "HAD" to do a c-section because baby was measuring 10 pounds. And then of course baby was actually 8 pounds once delivered. Sheesh.

Thanks, ladies. You're the best.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
August 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chances are you will have a big baby, if not in pounds in length, just based on your height and DH's height but thats totally normal! As far as the shoe size thing I would take that with a grain of salt. I'm 5'2'' and wear 6.5 shoe. I had two 8lb+ babies no prob! Not that 8.5 lbs is huge but it just shoots the shoe theory down.

It is so rare for a women to have a baby that is too big! Generally what is more common and what doctors coin "too big" is a baby in a bad position. But as long as you don't labor on your back you should be fine. And if your baby still decides to come out a little crooked there are things you can do to fix it. Your MW can instruct you on what to do!

You will do great! Don't buy into the big baby theory!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
August 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
fat squishes and so do baby heads. Stay away from those birth shows for the rest of your pregnancy, please!!!

Here is a link for you- Big Baby info ("Big Baby")
August 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
your body won't make a baby that your body can't birth. you can do it!!!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Super Mommy
you can do this! big baby or not, you won't make a baby you can't birth!

August 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much, I knew you all would know all the right things to say....

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

August 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can totally do this mama!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
It's very possible to have big babies naturally. All three of mine were over 9.5lbs at birth (NCB) and my mother had 11 pounders up to a 13lb baby naturally. Both of us are about your height maybe shorter. So don't worry. You CAN do it. And you have plenty of Support here as well.
August 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it!

August 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was always told that absent a medical condition like GD, your body will not make a baby you cannot handel. Also I know people get very concerned about size/weight, but if you have a long lean baby even if they have a higher birthweight that will be easier to deliever than one with a large head (aka: the weight does not mean a whole lot).

August 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is rare for a woman to make a baby that is too big for her to birth vaginally. The head is collapsable for a reason, to fit.

I have a family member (married into the family) that is huge height wise, and so are all the men in his family. The wives in the family have not had any babies under 10 lbs, and some of those women are short and petite. Most have been vaginally with the exception of a few c-section for multiples, who were also 10 lbs, and she went to 40 weeks I believe.
August 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both of my babies were bigger than average (9.13 & 9.15, both 21" long & 14.75" heads). I had both of them vaginally & I'm a pretty average sized person. I'm 5' 7" & was a size 8 pre-pregnancy. My daughter (9.15) was my NCB & was actually a much, much easier labor & delivery than my son. I pushed for 2+ hours with him and only 25 mins with her. I think it was much easier & more efficient to push without the epi.
Best of luck!
August 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Super Mommy
My mom is 5 foot tall and she has a small bone structure. She had my sister at home and she weight 9 lbs 10 ounces. Granted it was her 6th baby, but if she can do it, you can do it. All her other babies were in the 6 lb range, but she had gestational diabetes with my sister and also went 2 weeks over her due date.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
August 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
OK, these stories are definitely helping!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search