prodromal labor, or discomforts of pregnancy?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
This is spurred by the prodromal labor thread.

I've been on bedrest since 24 weeks, because with activity i would have braxton hicks intensity contractions every 2-5 minutes. Bedrest helped, but i still had a lot of BH my entire pregnancy. I never have any pain. And they did not change my cervix at all.

At 31 weeks, i lost part of my mucous plug in the doctor's office. I was checked at was told my cervix was closed, but it was getting shorter. Again, never felt any pain, just the usual BH.

On tuesday of last week, i started having contractions with pain in my cervix. They hurt quite a bit. They were not close together, and there was no pattern. I had a doctor appt the next day and had a few painful contractions in the office. These did change my cervix. I was 1cm dilated and 60% effaced. The contractions went away for a few days.

Yesterday and Today, i am noticing a sharp increase in frequency and intensity of BH. I'm calling them BH because they still don't hurt at all. I notice a faint prickling sensation in my cervix, but it's not associated with contractions. Nothing as bad as what i felt last week. But i'm starting to have some lower back pain and i'm overall not feeling right. Very tired all the time, and wanting to nap, but my sleep is crap becuase of the contractions. My abdomen is sore too, especially when walking to the bathroom, and i'm having a lot more discharge than usual. (still on bedrest)

Does this sound like prodromal labor to you, or are these just normal symptoms of the third trimester?

Last edited by alicenwonderland; August 29th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
August 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I really don't know, doesn't sound "normal" to me really. You've got some other things going on though obviously, so I can't say. I never really felt BH's much in my first pregnancy. I did in my second, usually when I was not drinking enough water or stressed out. Then when I went into labor I thought it was just BH's for most of it. Other than some early labor a few days before I actually had Cadie, I never experienced anything like prodromal labor.
August 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
My prodromal labor contractions felt completely different from my BH. They weren't painful, per se, but they were very, very crampy and uncomfortable. They also started loooooow in my pelvis and spread out to my lower back whereas BH tighten across your entire abdomen. Another big difference is that I felt immense amounts of pelvic pressure with my prodromal contractions but did not experience that with the BH.

August 30th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks, Kate. That is helpful. I think i just have the third trimester miserables... lol. I'm convinced i'm just going to feel like crap until i deliver, whether that be soon, or up to 8 weeks from now lol.

August 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
It sounds like what I felt like from 34/35 weeks on. And nothing was happening.

However, with Gem I started not feeling right and went from 1CM to 3CM to 5CM over the next few days. I never felt a contraction the whole time but apparently I was having them!

I say it doesn't hurt to get checked, especially if you feel like they are more intense or more frequent than 'normal' for you.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I have weekly appts now. So I'm going to wait till thursday. My doc wasn't planning on doing anything to stop things anyway. I'm pretty convinced nothing is going on, either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search