Vacinations

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What vax schedule to you use/plan to use? Regular, Dr. Sears' delayed schedule, or no vax at all? I have been meaning to do some research on this but keep getting busy with other things. We have 3 weeks until the 2 month appt. and I need to start thinking abous this.

September 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
You can always not get anything done at the 2 month and continue to research it until you are comfortable with your decision. The ladies at the Choosing not to Vax board are really helpful here We have decided not to do anything until she is two and then at two we may do meningitis, but that is it.

September 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After a lot of research on our part we decided to not do any, unless some HUGE study comes out between now and then and thy completely change vaccines, they we will reconsider.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
My kids aren't vaccinated as of yet. With my oldest, I was going to wait until he turned 2. But he's 2.5 now and hasn't had any shots.
September 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My baby will be getting his shots on time. I work in a hospital, and seem to pick up every little things that goes around, even the more rare ones. I'd feel awful if i passed something to him that i could have protected him from.

If i was a SAHM, i probably would delay.

September 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've delayed and are waiting to make a decision until we have fully researched them. Abby was vaccinated until 1 year and we've declined any boosters and Anna is 20 months and hasn't had anything yet.

Expecting baby #4!

September 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I'll be vaccinating my child on time since I work at a school and like Alice, I tend to pick up things at school. If I were SAHM I might consider a different road.

September 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I think we will vax on time. I work all over the place plus have a kindergartener that brings home every little bug. I'm determined to BF through cold and flu season so we can hopefully avoid all that but I would never forgive myself if Ash did get something preventable. I had scarlett fever and chicken pox as a kid. Both times I was so miserable I thought I would die and I even have some permanent scars from the CP. I'd rather Ash not deal with that.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 2nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
we delay. At 2 1/2, we are going to start Cadie soon on some, if we can get her new dr to order single dose shots, which I think he will.
September 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did everything on time so far.

September 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
We did ds1 on time until 2y and then we stopped. We skipped chicken pox and flu though. We haven't vax'd anyone since, and we won't in the future. IMO the risks of vaxing are outweighing the risks of not-vaxing.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haven't done any yet and we're going to discuss them when he's a year old. So if we do do them they will obviously be delayed and we will only do some, so selective as well. No paticular schedule.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do a fairly standard schedule with some modifications. Our kids go to private daycare and my husband is an elementary teacher. We do not do the early Heb B and wait til the 2 month. We also break apart when possible instead of using combined vaccines.

September 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we did everything on time with until about a year, when we started seeing a new pedi and then had an alternate schedule similar to Dr. Sears'. we skipped the MMR and flu shot. Sarah had a bad reaction to the chicken pox vax (which i was against anyway but the "crunchy dr. talked me into it. ) so we will not be boosting it. i wanted to space her vax's out from the beginning but we had them done at a clinic because we were on medicaid and they made me feel as if i had no choice....i know better now.
i want to delay vax's with the new baby, but of course i need to discuss it with my husband first....i usually get my way though.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily was on time for everything the first year (except for her Hep B which I've delayed). Then I delayed chicken pox and the MMR until age 2. She just got the chicken pox vax but I've delayed the MMR until I decide to get it for her.

Violet is on a modified Dr. Sears schedule. She hasn't had the Hep B or polio shots yet. Her other shots I space out so she never gets more than one at a time.

September 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
We've delayed and are waiting to make a decision until we have fully researched them. Abby was vaccinated until 1 year and we've declined any boosters and Anna is 20 months and hasn't had anything yet.
Brayden was on a selective vax schedule until his 1 yr appt, then I declined andpostponed everything to research more. Caleb won't have any until he's at least 2.

September 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I vax pretty much on schedule. I don't do the flu vaxs though; kids have to build their own immunity. I also delay if the child is sick from something else. Ethan is way behind on the standard vax schedule because of the recurring ear infections we dealt with until May of this year. Both of my kids will be in daycare when I go back to work & I'm very uncomfortable having my unvaxed kids around a lot of strangers. I may have delayed if I stayed at home, but they definitely would be fully vaxed before starting school. I debated with myself a lot about the chicken pox vax, but ended up getting it for Ethan & will Avery as well. The chicken pox put me in the hosptial for 3 days (I had them in my lungs, very uncommon) & I had to be pumped full of steroids to keep the swelling down & my lungs from filling up with fluid. I don't know if that type of reaction can be hereditary, but I don't want either of my kids to get as sick as I did.

I'll say upfront that I'm big on vaxing for dangerous childhood diseases (measles, whooping cough, polio, etc). I was in the Army & spent some time in places where these diseases are uncontrolled; seeing kids with all 3 of the diseases I mentioned above defintely swayed me in favor of vaxing my children before I even had kids. After being overseas & seeing what preventable diseases can do to a child, IMO the minimal risks from vaxing are far overshadowed by the diseases themselves.

Another thing most people don't think of is being vaxed themselves. The vaxs we got as kids were not lifetime, so most adults should have boosters for MMR & whooping cough. The Army vaxed me against pretty much everything, including anthrax & small pox, so I know I'm good for at least another 5 years before I need any more boosters.
September 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We delay and selectively vaccinate, we also use a modified Dr. Sears schedule.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

September 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We don't vax. Kailey was, Nola is not.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEliz View Post

Another thing most people don't think of is being vaxed themselves. The vaxs we got as kids were not lifetime, so most adults should have boosters for MMR & whooping cough. The Army vaxed me against pretty much everything, including anthrax & small pox, so I know I'm good for at least another 5 years before I need any more boosters.
Good point. They gave me a booster for MMR in the hospital because they said I had lost my immunity. I don't know if they tested and found out I'm immune to whooping cough still; I'll have to ask. I'm curious about why they didn't test DH, though. I should ask the pedi next time I'm there.

I definitely want to vax. It's just a question of when. The typical schedule has her getting 6 shots at 2 months. I think that's overkill and might overwhelm her immune system. I'm leaning towards just dividing those in half and having her get the other half at 3 months, but I'm going to check out Dr. Sear's book from the library and go through that before deciding for sure.

Also, how do babies react to having 6 vaccines at once? Is that pretty much torture for them and do they scream their heads off? Juliana didn't get too upset about her heal prick because I nursed her through it, but I imagine 6 shots back to back might be a different story.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search