Black and Blue Cohosh to Induce?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Jillinebinny's Avatar Veteran
So for a bit of background information. I'm currently pregnant with our second child.

In my first pregnancy we learned at 20 weeks that our daughter had cysts in both kidneys and would not live. She passed away shortly after she was born in May 2009.

We had planned on waiting to ttc for about a year to give ourselves time to cope with her death, but after 6 months we found out we were expecting again (surprise!).

I have a midwife for this pregnancy and we are planning a homebirth. The pregnancy has gone pretty normal and everything is looking good. But i am nervous, anxious and a little scared. It's kind hard to explain, but it pretty much sums up to i can't believe we're actually going to have a living child...i've been pregnant before and have nothing to show for it, so it's hard for me to believe things will be different (even though i know they will be).

Today i'm 41 weeks pregnant. On monday my midwife suggested that at my appointment today she give me a black and blue cohosh tincture (her partner midwife is an herbalist who makes all sorts of tinctures and such) to get labor going. But i don't know exactly how i feel about this.

Part of me is ok with it, since it would be nice to get labor going. But part of me would like things to naturally go their course and let baby decide when they are ready to be born.

Monday i talked with my husband about my fears and we did some soul searching and praying and i told baby i was ready for them (we don't know if it's a girl or a boy). Then tuesday i lost my plug and i've been having contractions off and on since then (mostly all night and then during the day they go away). So i feel like labor will start on it's own soon enough...

But then i wonder if the reason my contractions stop is because i'm still slightly scared, and if that's the case, should i take the tincture to try and get things going more stable? It would be nice if we could have the baby sooner since WA state has a limit of 42 weeks for homebirth, and with my husbands work schedule and such it would be nice.

But then like i said, i'd rather just baby decide when they are ready and trust them....

So what are your ladies opinions? Has anyone used B & B to get their labors going? what were your experiences? I could just really use some help and support on this......
Thanks!

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

September 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I've never used it, but as far as I know, it will only work if your body is ready...That being the case, if it were me, Id probably give it a try! JMO though. I hope baby decides to come soon! Thinking of you!

September 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
It didn't work for me but I'd try it in your shoes. It won't do anything if your body isn't ready!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd wait it out for a few more days (probably until 41/3 or 41/4), if it were me. I've heard some pretty intense stories about B&B cohosh and wouldn't necessarily choose that route for myself.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
September 3rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
It is something to be very careful about, but since you are 41 weeks and your midwife suggested it, I would consider it. What I have read is it is best to take it under direct supervision by your midwife. However, you need to do what you feel comfortable with and listen to your inner voice, and if you don't feel right about it, you shouldn't do it. There are a lot of other things you can do instead.

have you tried orgasms? Maybe eating something spicy and/or with lots of parsley. You could even insert some parsley right up by your cervix if you feel comfortable doing that. This of course can be risky due to possible infection. I'm sure you know all the ways you can try to keep things going, climbing stairs, etc.

my best suggestion is the orgasms! Do you have a marital aid?
September 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd probably wait. Who knows, you might go in labor today! My first came at 41 weeks without any help. It can be normal to go this long, and you're not overdue yet. I would maybe try some eggplant parm first. Nothing will truly work unless your body and baby are ready, and if you do decide to go with it, make sure your MW sticks around for awhle.
September 3rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I used one of them when I was already in labor w/ Nola. My contractions weren't picking up enough to my MWs liking so her assistant did some foot massages/reflexology stuff and I sucked on one of the cohosh tablets under my tongue.

It helped make contrax stronger.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Tags
black blue cohosh induce

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search