dreaming

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
does anyone know much about children and dreams? Cadie has been talking to me about her dreams recently. They are really freaking her out. Last week she woke up all upset because I was "dragging her all over the place" and this morning she woke up all weirded out by a dream but I was mostly still asleep when she was telling me so I'm not sure what she said. When I asked her she couldn't repeat it. I'm sure she doesn't even understand that it's a dream or what they are. Do kids start dreaming at a certain age? Do we even know?

I wonder if dreaming is the kind of thing that runs in families. I have been a very frequent, vivid dreamer since I was very young. I had reoccurring nightmares that were just horrible and very upsetting from about 3 or 4 until I got pregnant with Cadie. I still dream all the time but those specific type of dreams stopped.
September 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I know that night terrors/bad dreams start around this age. Walter wakes up at least once a week from a bad dream crying. Sometimes he makes us take certain toys out of his room for him to go back to sleep, sometimes he's able to verbalize what he dreamed about (like a snake on his window). We try and make the idea of dreaming fun, my husband started this game with him when he puts him to bed where they talk about what he's going to dream about and it always ends up being what's on Walter's pjs. And when he wakes up we ask him. Most of the time he doesn't know and makes up silly things. Dreaming can be really scary for kids at this age. It's scary enough for adults sometimes!
September 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have no idea. i also had a lot of vivid dreams, pregnant or not. some are extremely violent and disturbing, some are sexual, and others are like magical and i can fly and do crazy stuff. when i was 5 i had recurring nightmares and it kept me from sleeping over my friend's houses for a while. Sarah has woke up crying a few times, recently, and told me about her dreams. one she was crying hysterically and kicking and screaming and when she woke up enough to realize it was a dream she told me that she was scared because she was all alone and couldn't find me. another one, from like 2 nights ago, she woke up crying because she need to wear her pretty blue dress. i have also heard her talk in her sleep a few times, so i am assuming she was dreaming then too.

so i can't answer your question, but we are going through similar stuff over here.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I have always had very strong vivid dreams. Courtney has talked in her sleep since she was about 18 months old and has talked about her dreams since shortly after that. Some scary, some not so scary. It's good that she's willing to talk about it because it helps us work through knowing that dreams are harmless and they dont' really freak her out as much any more.

Nola has had night terrors since infancy, but she doesn't talk about her dreams. Though I'm sure she has them...
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
September 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I know when i was very young, i had really weird dreams and started sleep walking. My mother told me all sorts of stories about how i would walk around the house asleep. I grew out of it shortly though.

September 8th, 2010, 06:27 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
How old is Cadie? Do you watch TV? NO, this isn't about "You shouldn't let her watch TV!"

If she has the concept of changing channels, use that to your advantage. When my husband left, my dd had nightmares and the Dr. asked her what she does if she's watching TV and something scary comes on? She said change the channel! He told her next time she had a scary dream, she should just change it to something happy. It worked!

The other idea is to send her off to sleep with comforting thoughts: a song, a story, a blessing/prayer.

Sending you happy dream thoughts!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Last edited by marmeeof5; September 8th, 2010 at 06:32 AM.
September 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I remember my daughter's pedi telling us "this is about the age they start dreaming". I can't remember how old she was but I'm pretty sure between 6-12 months. It had something to do with their sleep cycles changing.

We've never really had any issues regarding dreaming. Sleep in general, YES! I like the change the channel thing! I hope you get some good info!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 8th, 2010, 06:56 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dreams can be so weird. That's crazy she's old enough to tell you what her dreams are already. I wonder when we realize dreams are dreams, too.

I used to have awful recurring ones when I was really little about me falling off a building. I'd wake up standing on my bed, trying to pry my eyes open with my hands.

I've been having dreams about my MIL since I got pregnant. Now that lady needs to get out of my dreams... I don't want to see her in or out of my dreams.

September 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily doesn't talk about her dreams, but she does have night terrors. She's had them since she was about 6 or 7 months old. It's horrible for me because she'll just scream and scream and can't wake up. She doesn't remember them though at least.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search