So they kicked me out...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my appointment with the low risk maternity clinic today. We told them what we wanted for the birth. Basically a NCB with minimal monitoring, no drugs and that I will not be getting the Gestational diabetes test. They told us that if we were going to follow there guidelines we could not be be treated there. Apparently according to them our choices make us *High risk* and we will have to be referred to a OB . Some GREAT quotes from our dr today.
"The reason that we have such low maternal death rates in Canada is because we give birth in hospitals with all our technology and medicine look at Africa and there maternal and fetal death rates. they give birth at home"
"If you refuse drugs for failure to progress after 6 hours your baby will DIE"
"When your baby dies, 10 years later you will sue me and where does that leave me?"
"We do everything here according to regional not national standards" (This is after I asked why I wasn't being given a choice regarding the gestational diabetes testing, The SOCG recommendation is you can do it or not)
"You need counseling because you are eventually going to need medical care in your life" Somehow she got the idea that we are opposed to all medical care because we want a NCB with little to no intervention.
"Giving birth is the closest you will ever be to dying in your life"
"Having a baby is one of the most dangerous things medically that you will ever go through"
"I had 3 babies and am a mother so I know what I am talking about"

I was so in shock that some of these things actually came out of her mouth, I had heard they were more NCB friendly in Canada.. I didn't argue with her because it was obvious that she didn't care and was set on her point of view.
After we left I cried and cried then went to my moms and she reminded me that everything happens for a reason. We still haven't been able to get a midwife, even with me sending them emails constantly, I swear I am just going to start showing up at there offices everyday until they agree to take me as a patient. On a plus note everything looks good with the pregnancy

Edit: I thought that I should mention that I am low risk, I have none of the warning signs for GD, have no history in my family either. I have low blood pressure and generally other then HG have a routine normal pregnancy. I'm a healthy BMI and baby is measuring well and his heartbeat is strong and regular

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; September 8th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
September 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow... I can't believe some of the things your doctor said! I hope you can get a midwife soon. Your mom is right, everything happens for a reason! Hugs!

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
wow, what an idiot!

I would be hugely relieved to NOT be going to that clinic! If that is how the low risk clinic feels, I'm terrified if the high risk people!

I hope you get to a midwife FAST!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

September 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Oh man. thats just horrible. I dont know your background, but sounds like you might be better off not there anyway! Its one of those situations where you think about all the things you should have said after! so frustrating!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

September 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
HOLY COW!!! I am so glad you won't have to be going back there!

September 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
That is crazy! I know there's a wonderful midwife out there for you and hope that you find her soon!

September 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Sounds like a blessing that you figured it out this early on and aren't faced with trying to find a midwife at like 35 weeks or something!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
September 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woah....

September 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW!!! I would be glad I got kicked out!! I'd rather have an UC than seek their care. I can't believe any medical provider would even say those things. Good luck with the midwife hunt! I hope you find one - and fast!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
missmich
Um wow! I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry you had such an idiot for a doctor! Those last 3 things she said scared the crap of me,a very soon to be first time mama!

Calgary is a big city so there must be another place for you to get the kind of birth that you want,even with a doc and not a midwife.

I'm sorry she made you feel like dumb. I'm sure that you did some research and have some good reasons why you don't want to be tested for the GD and I'm sure that if you did have some signs then you may reconsider that choice as well.

Have you heard of this website?

My OB said WHAT?!? -

Maybe you can make a submission of all the dumb stuff your OB said.
September 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I would not want to give birth in the same building as that doctor. Giving birth is the closest to dying?? Jeeez.......

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Wait, birth is the closest I'll get to death...buwahaha. That's why women do it at home all over the world? Because they're thrill seekers? Who knew! Glad you won't have to go back to that!

September 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its a good thing they kicked you out!!! count your blessings girl!!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sheesh, that is pretty intense! Try the mothering.com Alberta board, ask them who the NCB friendly people are.
September 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off I'm gonna say hello - Your the closest JM mommy to me that I know ..geologically speaking (I'm in Red Deer)

2nd Holy cow I can't believe ANY Dr would say any of those things! While my dr thought I was crazy for the most part he still respected my wishes. I'm totally lucky that with this preg I have been able to have a MW and wow what a complete difference.
I think there are a few different Practices in cgy for midwives have you tried calling all the different ones? At my next appointment I can ask if my MW (ones moved from cgy in July) if they know/recommend any for you
September 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
I guess I almost died five times!! hahaha! I never thought of myself as having a death wish!
I hope you find a decent Dr. or midwife soon. Everything does happen for a reason! Enjoy these days and try not to worry!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't believe she was actually saying these things either. I have heard horror stories of doctors saying things like this but always assumed they were the old school ones entrenched in there beliefs and male. She's a younger 35-40 female dr who has been practicing only ten years. I've called every single midwifery practice in and around the city, even ones out of city but I keep getting the same response from them they are full, I'm on every waiting list there is. I do have a Doula so I will have support at the birth, she has some suggestions of OB's that might be able to help. I'm just still in shock that she actually said these things..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Is it any wonder the midwives are full if this is the attitude and practice of the younger, supposedly more up-to-date Drs? Don't give up! The squeaky wheel gets the oil!
I'm so glad to hear you have a doula!!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Wow. Anytime I've had a stomach bug or food poisoning I've felt worse than I did while in labor, so I find the death reference a little overdramatic.
September 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
OMG! Those words actually came out of someone's mouth! GEEZ!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search