natural childbirth in hosptial

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Super Mommy
Any of you doing this (or have done this)? What advice would you give. My doctor said that she supports natural childbirth and recommended the hypnobirthing method. She then proceeded to say that you can't always tell what will happen with a pregnancy and I need to keep my mind open. I told her my mother had an over 9 lb baby at home (and 6 total naturally). She asked if my mom was as petite as I am and I said that she was 102 lbs when she started to have kids and was smaller in bone structure than I am. She seemed surprised.
Anyway, advice on how to proceed would be great.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
missmich
Do you have a good plan? That's the first thing I'd do,make a great birth plan make it clear that you'd like a natural childbirth and that you know your options on pain meds and epi etc... and do not want to be offered any meds at any time. Make sure your doc and nurses know this plan and that they read it. Also make it clear that you do realize that things could change and you're well aware that your plan can change if something should happen and you're willing to make changes as needed.
September 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a successful NCB with Lily at a hospital. I had a birth plan and DH and my best friend with me at the hospital for Lily. I used Bradley Method. We made it very clear when I got there that I did not want any drugs. I had one nurse that was mocking me, but everyone else was very supportive. I think it helped that there were CNMs on staff and one of them delivered Lily.

I did choose to have Violet at home though instead of doing the hospital again. Mainly because I knew I could do it, felt it was safer in many ways, and some other reasons. Good thing I did have Violet at home because I probably would have ended up with a c-section at a hospital because she was positioned so strangely.

September 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just had a NCB in a hospital. I used Hypnobabies during my pregnancy and early labor but didn't really use it that much at the hospital, although I do think it helped me in a lot of ways to achieve my natural birth.

Sounds like you're off to a good start making sure your OB is on board. I would research your hospital choices (if you have options) and try to figure out which is the most NCB-friendly. Try to do everything you can to help you stay low risk. Do your research on any tests and procedures during pregnancy and especially any labor interventions commonly used in the hospital so you can mae informed decisions. Learn to say no to anything that you don't want confidently and assertively. Definitley try to have some birth preferences or a birth plan worked out ahead of time. I would definitely try to decide on a method, be it Hypnobabies, Bradley, Hypnobirthing or whatever so you have plenty of "tools" to use during your birth. If you can I would look into a doula or at least a good friend. I had DH and a friend with me.

It can be more difficult to get the birth you want in a hospital, but the more you prepare the better your chances are, I think. I would definitely look into Hypnobabies and check out the resources on this board. The one book I read was the Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth - I'd check that one out. And here's a blog post I saw recently about hospital birth: Making the Best of Hospital Birth | BIRTH SENSE

Sorry for writing so much!

September 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had a NCB in a hospital, but I was fortunate enough to find a hospital that would allow a CNM delivery, which I think helped a lot (and was worth the hour commute to get to!).

I won't lie and say there wasn't any pressure from the nurses or the OB who 'oversaw' the CNM (without ever once setting foot into my room), but a lot of the grief I got was more focused on me being a first timer, so clearly I didn't know what I needed as well as the nurses . I had a lot of back labor because baby was 'sunny side up', and one nurse did tell me that with back labor there was 'no point' in avoiding pain meds.

Several of the nurses were very supportive, though, and for the most part DH managed to curtail the offers of drugs and suggestions of interventions he knew I did not want.

The 'no point' nurse did tell me the morning after that she would love to see more moms come in and try NCB instead of just requesting the epi right away. You certainly couldn't have told that from her attitude the day before.

With all said and done, though, I ended up having more flexibility and more of a say in my delivery than I would have expected in the average hospital. I did my homework and talked to moms who had delivered there, though, and I think that helped.

I forgot to add... as I crept up on two weeks, the pressure to induce did get pretty intense. That was my main complaint.

September 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a NCB in a hospital. I think it's important to figure out how NCB friendly your hospital and OB is with the questions you ask. I think yours sounds pretty good, as far as hospitals go, just like mine was. My OB and nurse both read my birth plan line by line. They only thing they really fought me on was getting the IV lock when I checked in. I think if you have a doula there to make sure your birth plan is followed and stand up for you, you should be fine. Of course, a birth center would have been idea but my insurance wouldn't pay for it, so we had Juliana in a hospital for financial reasons and it turned out just fine. Besides having a doula, I think the best advice I can give is to go to the hospital at the last minute. I was 9 cm dilated when I got there after laboring at home in my tub for a few hours. Also, if your water breaks before you go to the hospital, conveniently forget when it happened so your clock doesn't start ticking too soon.

September 9th, 2010, 06:22 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it is possible for sure, I had one with my first, but you really need to do your homework and really make sure the hospital and your medical provider are truly NCB friendly and you won't be shackled by policies that are not. With my first, I switched from an OB to a midwife at 18 weeks, and also switched hospitals from a huge highest level NICU hospital with a "baby factory" reputation to a smaller, very NCB friendly one.

I'm not so sure about your doctor. Maybe ask around and find out from others.....Mothering.com has regional tribes where you can ask women in your area, it's a great place to find local resources. Just from what you said I see red flags. Sometimes they will say one thing early on then change their tune towards the end.

here are some things to look over

Choosing a caregiver (Choosing a Caregiver)

Choosing your place of birth

eta: also I highly recommend a SOLID NCB specific childbirth class and a doula. I also recommend getting regular chiropractic care while you are pregnant, this can really help have a better birth.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...-outcomes.html (Chiropractic care in pregnancy & birth outcomes)

Last edited by moon~maiden; September 9th, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
September 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on a NCB hospital birth with a CNM. We're very fortunate to have a high rate of mamas wanting NCBs where I live so most hospitals are pretty amenable; the hospital we chose is especially known for being NCB-friendly (labor tubs in the rooms, nurses who won't push meds, etc.)

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
September 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
Do you have a good plan? That's the first thing I'd do,make a great birth plan make it clear that you'd like a natural childbirth and that you know your options on pain meds and epi etc... and do not want to be offered any meds at any time. Make sure your doc and nurses know this plan and that they read it. Also make it clear that you do realize that things could change and you're well aware that your plan can change if something should happen and you're willing to make changes as needed.
I could not agree more with the value of a good written plan. We had both our OB and Peditrician sign the plan before going to the hospital so it had the effect of written orders, and we knew everyone was on the same page. While you should not hesitate to advocate for yourself if need be, I think you get a lot more cooperation by kidness. For example we attached our birth plan to gift bags of candy for all the nurses, etc... To the extent possible you want them on your side. I would also tour the hospital before hand because it may trigger you as to what certain issues are. For example it is very common on the tour to have a nurse say "our policy is...", or "the law is..." Often this is not the case, and it enables you to discuss with your OB or the hospital these issues beforehand and see if something can be worked out.

September 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife is based in a very natural birth friendly hospital so I didn't have any problems getting what I wanted (aside from a medically necessary induction)....the hospital doesn't even require heplocks to moms not getting induced, and routinely offers hibeclens as a GBS treatment instead of antibiotics.

Definitely have a good plan, and a doula is always helpful (I'm having a doula this time even though I'm not positive it's 100% necessary, I just want the extra support and so does DH) Also picking your OBs brain before hand...what does he consider a medically indicated induction? How far past your EDD will he "allow" you to go, what is their policy on food and drink while in labor? Can you decline "routine" procedures such as AROM, etc. What is their policy on the cord clamping?

Making yourself very clear with your OB will let you know how supportive she truly is

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't post very often, but wanted you to know it is very possible. I have had 8, yes 8, NCB's in the hospital. The last 3 were waterbirths. I have had stuff to eat and drink during labor, no problem. I just told them (calmly) that no pain meds and I was thristy so I needed to drink. Good luck!

September 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I had a natural birth at a hospital. I was with a midwife though instead of a doctor so there were no nurses until I was ready to push and then they only stood in the background in case they were needed. I ate and drank all through labour.
Now, there was a doctor who had to sign off on any drugs that might be needed during delivery and she wanted MW to induce me when my water broke a few hours before contractions started. She also continued to badger them about augmenting me until I was well into transition They knew what I wanted and advocated on my behalf - this was done entirely over the phone and the yutz never once came to assess ther baby and I or discuss my wishes.

Birth plan. I specified on mine that I was not to be offered drugs at any time. Be prepared to advocate for yourself and make sure your birth partner is not afraid to put their foot down. I agree with PPs about discussing 'routine' procedures, cord clamping and how far overdue you're 'allowed'. You may also wish to consider discussing labour and birthing positions, monitoring - continuous or intermittent, episiotomy, their approach to nuchal cord and resuscitation (ie do they cut the cord or leave it intact) and if they're ok with giving you an hour or so of skin on skin time before doing all the measuring and what not.
Best of luck!

Last edited by Corrupt; September 9th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
September 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had a NCB in a hospital. I chose a CNM from the beginning who delivered at a hospital about 45 minutes from me. I discussed my wishes for no interventions, no drugs, and their policies on going past 40 weeks very early on so they knew what I wanted. I recommend laboring at home for a good amount of time just in case. Of course my labor went a lot faster than expected so I didn't get to my hospital with my midwife. Instead I delivered just minutes after arriving at the closest hospital where midwives were not allowed. Luckily my L&D nurses decided to go ahead with the delivery before the hospital's staff OB arrived. He was a jerk.
September 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I had a pain-med-free birth in hospital. I was induced due to three days of intense pre-labor and preeclampsia so I did have Pitocin, Magnesium and antibiotics. Looking back I wish I had said no to the antibiotics. We ended up with thrush, Ash got a yeast rash and we both still seem to be having some digestive issues that I blame the abx for.

I was cared for and delivered by CNM's so that was a big help. The CNM's had read my birth plan and signed off on it months prior to delivery. I also hired a doula but unfortunately ended up with her back up as my doula was unavailable that day. My husband and my doula both advocated very well for me but in the end I was my biggest advocate. By the time I hit 15 or 16 hours into labor even my doula and midwife were pushing me to get the epidural to 'help me relax'. I stayed strong and never took any pain meds but it would have been all too easy to give in if I wasn't 100% set on not having them.

I had researched before hand and knew that (and wrote in my birth plan) I would decline catheters (except after delivery when I wasn't allowed to sit up for 24 hours), newborn eye ointment, the vitamin K shot, the Hep B shot, etc. I allowed them to do the heel prick test for Ash and that was it.

The hospital didn't allow food so I had DH and my IL's bring food 'for themselves'. When there was no personnel in my room I ate as much as I wanted whenever I wanted. I also asked the midwife to delay cord clamping. She complied somewhat but I was bleeding pretty badly due to the Mag so we only waited about 4-5 minutes before cutting the cord. I did not want my placenta delivered by traction but due to the bleeding I didn't have much choice. I got extra pit and the midwife forcibly delivered my placenta. I have had much worse PP bleeding this time than with older DD and I believe this was part of the reason. I won't let them do it again if I have another child.

Make sure you ask lots of questions. Will they ask your permission to do an episiotomy? Do you have to have a heplock/IV? etc. Being your own advocate and knowing exactly what you're talking about are your best hope for getting an in-hospital NCB.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I am going to work up a birth plan for my doctor. I just saw her yesterday, so I have 4 weeks to plan it out.
I hate to change doctors at 22 weeks (which would be around the time I see her next) since she has been my doctor for the past 8 years and I really like her. My DH is supportive of me choosing NCB, but has also said "if you can get pain meds, why not" so I will have to be forceful with my choices between now and then so that he can be an advocate for me. I am sure he will say no to the nurses and doctors, but if I ask for meds, even once, he will get them for me. He isn't good at arguing with me and tends to get me what I want, especially if I am in pain. So I will need to prepare myself to not ask
Also, I plan on waiting as long as possible before I go to the hospital. My mom had REALLY long labors, but my sisters didn't, so I don't know what to prepare for. And how do I know when it is really time? I don't want to leave right when I am in transition because I don't want to have a baby in the car. How do you tell when it is the right time? It's not like I can really examine myself and tell how far I am dilated and stuff right
Also, I am not sure I want a doula. I am pretty private about my body stuff and have a hard time with my doctor seeing me in exams, I don't know if I could have another total stranger there. Besides the money, I am worried that my DH will think I don't trust him enough to help me himself. I had suggested having my sister in the room (which I since decided not to because she is kind of competitive with me and she seemed to feel like me having NCB when she had meds was some kind of competition, so I don't think she will be very supportive) and he got a little offended at the idea. He asked me why I would need anyone else but him. I really don't want to offend him. Also, I know there will be people coming in and out of the room, but I want this to be a special event between the two of us for as long as it can be, and I think having a doula there would make it more difficult.
Again, thanks for the help. Would anyone be willing to look at my birth plan (when I get it done) and let me know if I should add or subtract anything or word things differently?

September 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Super Mommy
I just found out that my hospital has natural childbirth rooms available for women (not sure how many) because they felt that there were too many women getting epidurals. That is awesome! I want one. They have baths you can deliver in and everything. That makes me feel much more excited about my options there. Now I just have to get my doctor to make sure I get one of those rooms

They also offer a birth plan form with options for me to choose from in all the possible areas of labor, delivery, and postpartum.

I am going to see if I can get a tour of the facilities to see what they are like.

Last edited by firstone; September 9th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search