hypnobirthing?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Super Mommy
I am not sure what I think about this. I don't have much info or anything, but it seems kind of hokey (I don't really believe in hypnosis). Can anyone tell me more about it?

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm on the fence about it too. I think it can definitely work for people, but I just don't know that it's right for me. I'm not the kind of person that can be disciplined enough to listen to all the tracks, practice, etc.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
September 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used Hypnobabies, which is a little different from Hypnobirthing, but both teach self-hypnosis for childbirth. A lot of other ladies here have used Hypnobabies too. Even if you are skeptical I would at least look into it. If you can devote the time to practicing it each day and really commit to it I think you would find it very helpful. Read some hypno-birth stories. Many women say they have painless or very comfortable births when using it.

I will say that I did not practice every day like I should have and did not use it as I intended to during my birthing time and I did have pain but it was definitely manageable. It's essentially very deep relaxation and it did help me quite a bit. The other thing I really liked about it is that it helps you to think positively, to be assertive when necessary, and to be patient for your birthing time to begin. I don't know if I will use it for my next birth but it definitely helped me a lot for this one.

That's my 2 cents. Hopefully some other Hypno-moms will share theirs. I would say it's definitely worth looking into, but another method might feel like a better fit for you so just check out a couple different options.

September 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent'sMommy View Post
I don't know if I will use it for my next birth but it definitely helped me a lot for this one.
What method do you think you would use instead?

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 9th, 2010, 05:45 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstone View Post
What method do you think you would use instead?
I think I might look into Bradley, but it will be quite a while from now so I haven't thought about it too much. I may consider using HB again.

September 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Michele, it is essentially very deep relaxation. The thing that helped me the most though was definitely the daily affirmations. Having an NCB in a hospital is not easy, and it really helped me to become more assertive. Also, I think that taking the time each day to just sit and relax did wonders for my pregnancy overall. I for one would definitely use HB again, and I would be more careful to follow it exactly as I had some problems with it near the end, but I think that's cause I never practiced!

September 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I gave birth with my first I after looking into it decided that the hypno methods were not for be. I had a lot of success with Bradley.

September 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
noworries
I've used both hypnobirthing and hypnobabies and found both very helpful. Like the other ladies said, it's essentially deep relaxation and visualization. I was very skeptical before using it but now I highly recommend it. I was afraid of it being too out there for me but it's not at all.
September 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did Bradley - self hypnosis was not for me or my DH - we both wanted him to be a very active part of the experience. LOVED Bradley and I am so excited to do it again in roughly 33 weeks

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think it's a great thing, but if you choose hypnobirthing, you really need a class to attend. With hypnobabies, you can take a class or do the home study, but you really need to practice daily. Hypnosis is accumulative and really requires dedication.
September 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think a lot of people get the wrong idea about Hypnobirthing, because it's not what you would typically think of as hypnosis. You have completely control over your state of mind at all times. You essentially just train your body to go completely limp by certain cues that you've taught yourself. It's a great method of relaxation, and I think if you really practice it, it can work.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

September 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be doing Hypnobabies as I think I can really benefit from the relaxation techniques, my main concern is after labouring at home when I transfer to the hospital I will get so nervous because of the lack of support for a NCB that I will freeze up and stop progressing.. So I'm going to do hypnobabies so I can relax even in the hospital..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I did Hypnobabies and can't say enough good things about it. You really do need to do it every day though and practice. It won't just come to you unless you do. Here (Sam's hypnobabies waterbirth) is my birth story if you want to read.

I was also very skeptical, but it worked and I would not describe my son's birth as painful.
September 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent'sMommy View Post
I think I might look into Bradley, but it will be quite a while from now so I haven't thought about it too much. I may consider using HB again.

That's funny. I used Bradley last time and trying Hypnobabies this time.

I loved, loved Bradley. DH and I are both happy we went that route, since it taught us so much.

I got into a really relaxed and painless state for a few hours during birth (it felt like 15 minutes). After, the nurses asked me if I was doing hypnosis . I got out of that state at some point and for the life of me could not get back in it or get relaxed at all. I want to have to tools to be able to get back there this time.

I'm excited to see if it works as well as it did for other ladies. There were some really great birth experiences that came out of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search