heel prick test under ethics investigation

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Heel Prick Test for Newborns Facing Ethics Questions | KIMA CBS 29 - News, Weather and Sports - Yakima, WA - Yakima, Washington 29 | News

interesting. We did the heel prick test for Cadie (although we declined everything else) and it was awful. We declined it for Vivian.
September 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Weird.... I was never given a pamphlet on this test...

This is scary...
September 10th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure I see the danger if the researchers are only given a number and never know who the baby is. It seems a good way to make use of existing samples, rather than having to subject babies to more tests for their studies. It probably allows them to do studies they would not be able to otherwise. Anything that can help sick kids without hurting anyone seems like a great idea to me. And since you have the option of requesting your sample be destroyed, those who feel really strongly about it can do so... I guess the problem, as usual with the medical establishment, is the lack of informed consent.

September 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I had it done for both girls. I would much rather know if my baby has galactosemia or another life threatening condition than worry about whether the government is secretly tracking our DNA. If the sample is only given a number and destroyed later on then I really don't care if they use it for research. And if I did I would simply find out how to ask to have it destroyed.

Having a few family members with cancer, diabetes, and other DNA-linked diseases I can say that I am quite happy to oblige research that could improve their quality of life or save mine or my children's in the future.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it's just a weird test, because what they test for is different in every state. That maple syrup disease, what's the deal with that? lol
September 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's weird that the woman said...

Quote:
I think it can be talked about a little more. But that's hard to say. How much do you want to talk and how much do you want to sleep as a new mom?" said Siefkas.
Really? That's the reason not to know more about things? Yes, its overwhelming for a first time mom, but you have to fill out birth certificate stuff while in the hospital, isn't that more time consuming and confusing than hearing about a little test?

Oh not to mention that this is something that could get talked about BEFORE the baby is born... like everyother aspect of the birth.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
That maple syrup disease, what's the deal with that? lol
Oh, it's something you can only get in Quebec, from going to the sugar shack too often....

September 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobittyBoo View Post
I think it's weird that the woman said...

Really? That's the reason not to know more about things? Yes, its overwhelming for a first time mom, but you have to fill out birth certificate stuff while in the hospital, isn't that more time consuming and confusing than hearing about a little test?

Oh not to mention that this is something that could get talked about BEFORE the baby is born... like everyother aspect of the birth.
I agree. I want to be fully informed about everything done to me, everything done to my child. I really do not understand the whole "well I don't want to know about it, it's too much to think about" view. I just don't get it.

Strangely the heel prick didn't bother Kate one bit, we thought she'd be screaming and she acted like she was getting a nice massage. So weird.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! They did the heel prick test in the hospital and at her 2 week appointment, she (and I too, lol) cried so hard.
September 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I do remember being informed of our state's policy on keeping the DNA. Of course they told me immediately after her birth when we were all still awake despite it being almost 2 am. I hate the excuses of why moms don't want to be informed. I'd much rather hear someone tell me about what my baby is getting and why than have no clue
September 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't mind the research aspect of it at all. We did decide to get this done - in the hospital they did it without asking or telling us. But we got the second one done by my midwife. I nursed the baby through it and she didn't even notice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search