What would be some safe and natural ways to induce at home? What about with the doc?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
missmich
I'd like to avoid an induction via the doctor if I can,but she says by the 21st she'd like to induce me. Induction scares me so I want to avoid that,it just isn't in my plan! lol

I'd like to try some safe things at home first and see how that goes. I don't want to use castor oil though b/c it also scares me. Nipple stimulation,yeah I can try that..... but I don't know if it will do much since I sorta developed a bad habit and would squeeze them all the time just to make sure they still worked and I never once got a contraction. I could try it though and see if it does anything now.

If I do have to get induced by the doc what would be a more natural or non-invasive way?
September 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You don't have to agree to the induction if you don't want it. I would go as far as 42 weeks as long as baby is fine.

Otherwise I'd try nipple stim, orgasms, EPO, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, Eggplant Parm, Acupuncture.

The only thing I'd let the physician try is stripping membranes, but I'd use that as a last possible resort before induction.

Good luck! Hopefully you wont need to worry about it.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
missmich
Today is my due date! The 21st is 11 days after my due date so it's about 42 weeks I'd say.

I have no one to have sex with lol I do have a very friendly moveable shower head though Would that help at all? I also did have some nice O's in my sleep a few nights ago.

I do have the tea once a day,but maybe I should up that to 3 glasses a day.
September 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
Today is my due date! The 21st is 11 days after my due date so it's about 42 weeks I'd say.

I have no one to have sex with lol I do have a very friendly moveable shower head though Would that help at all? I also did have some nice O's in my sleep a few nights ago.

I do have the tea once a day,but maybe I should up that to 3 glasses a day.
Oh- Happy Due Date! I was going by your ticker trying to count.

Well - the extra 3 days could make a difference! Orgasms in general are good - so whatever you have to do to get them will work! Also lots of walking and squats might help.

I think they say that the average pregnancy for first timers goes to 41 weeks 1 day? I'm sure someone here can confirm.

Life As We Know It
September 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
orgasms are good.

You can get acupuncture (electroacupuncture), eggplant parm, spicy foods, lots of walking, especially up and down stairs, hypnobabies, etc. Even a pedicure!

September 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Skip the RRL tea. The extra calcium can slow down labor!

Accupuncture and eggplant parm did the trick for me. (Well they started contractions but I never progressed.) I tried DTD, orgasm, nip stim, walking, stairs, EPO, pedicure, etc and nothing worked.

The average first baby does arrive 8 days 'late' though so you're not really due yet. I forget where I found it but the 40 week thing is actually based on a biblical scripture saying women take 10 lunar months to birth. The modern docs took that to be 10 x 28 days but a lunar month is actually more like 29 days so really you're not 'due' until about 10 days post-EDD! Hope that helps!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
missmich
My ticker is evil! It says I'm full term but it wants me to go 49 more days! lol I don't know how to change it.

I thought extra calcium was good right now? I read that helps to prevent hemmoraging.

I'll try and see if a friend wants to go and have some eggplant parm with me this week. I do have a little money and can maybe treat myself to that at least. I don't have enough for a pedi and can't do it myself,I'm lucky I was able to cut my own toenails the other day. lol

I'm to afraid to have the spicy food in case it gives me bad heartburn.
September 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL! I noticed that. I was going by 39 weeks 4 days.

Life As We Know It
September 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard really good things about Evening Primrose oil though I would highly recommend the acupuncture, as my aunt has told me she has had a 100% success rate at her practice so far.. She is a dr of TCM, the only thing is that you may have to go to repeat appointments because sometimes the body needs more then one..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM
missmich
I don't have any money at all for accupuncture or anything like that. I wish I did then I'd get it done closer to the 21st. I might have money for the EPO though if it isn't to much.
September 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, my midwife recommends stopping the RRL tea at about 37 weeks because all the extra calcium can actually prevent labor. All it does anyway is tone your uterus and doesn't have anything to do with starting or keeping labor going.
September 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I don't have any money at all for accupuncture or anything like that. I wish I did then I'd get it done closer to the 21st. I might have money for the EPO though if it isn't to much.
Do you have insurance that might cover it? I had no idea that mine would cover it at 75%. I think the trick was that the acupuncturist billed it as being for back pain, not inducing labor.

I had acupuncture and 39 weeks, 5 days and had a baby the next day. It could have been a coincidence.

September 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
missmich
I'm on welfare actually so I don't think they'd cover it at all. They only allowed me to have on u/s and a few basic tests. If I wanted to screen for certain things then I'd have to pay the full cost of that myself. I know the hospital I'll give birth at does have acupuncture students come in during certain times of the year,but I think it's well after I'll be there. I could see if I can get some info about it though and see if I can get some help. I'm still trying to see if a friend and his gf want to some egg plant parm with em this weekend!
September 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After looking through my accupressure book and some googling I came up with this for you,
Pressure Points to Induce Labor: Pressure Points That May Help You to Naturally Induce Your Labor.
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/acupressure/howto.php

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ ditto the acupressure. you can't hurt yourself

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
the thing that does it in the eggplant parm recipe is the parsley, so if you just eat something with a ton of parsley, that should do the same thing

and spend a lot of time with your friendly shower head!
September 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to add, take the EPO vaginally at nighttime. My midwife suggested doing this once you're within a few days of your due date, so you're definitely ready! Just shove a couple up there at nighttime, and don't forget a pantiliner! They'll dissolve within an hour or two and slowly leak out.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search