Childbirth Class at the Hospital today

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
So I went to a childbirth class at the hospital I'm delivering at, and there were 2 instructors. One had delivered both of her children naturally, and the other had delivered her 3 children with epidurals. I was happy to hear that my hospital is supportive of whatever method you decide on, and they said that they make it a point to read the birth plan which is sent with your file if you give a copy to your OB in advance. They have birth balls available, and there is a tub in every LDR room. They also encourage breastfeeding immediately after birth.

The one thing that made me nervous is when she said, "80-90% of the women who deliver here get epidurals." WOW - that seemed like a lot to me. The woman who had gotten the epidurals made it sound like if you were calm while in labor, they wouldn't offer you anything unless you asked, but if you are perceived to be not handling it well, they would talk to you about pain meds. I really, really don't want them to push any meds on me.

Also, one of the hospital's policies is that they do not allow you to ingest anything while you are in labor, except for clear fluids. I was so disappointed to hear this, but I guess it doesn't matter too much since I plan on laboring at home for as long as I can anyway. And I will certainly make sure I eat a little something before I go to the hospital.

If I didn't love my OB, I would have done a home birth. Oh well!

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
September 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Clear fluids are better then no fluids! At least they are NCB friendly and have the equipment available to use, That is really great about encouraging BF right after birth From talking to people I have met that have given birth it seems that A HUGE amount want the epidural. If they are open to reading your birth plan beforehand that is great!

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good hospital
You know - I thought the fluid - food thing was crazy - but honestly in active labour (5cm and beyond) my midwives and DH had to make me drink water. I tried watered down juice and a popsicle and the flavor was totally overwhelming. I got mad at DH for making toast because I didn't want to smell it!
Have a good meal in early labour - but don't stress about later - you probably won't care at all!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I wanted to eat in labor but that's probably because mine lasted so long. I just had my IL's go to McDonalds. They brought back food for 'DH and themselves'. Every time the medical personnel left the room I stuffed my face with french fries and nuggets. It was after labor that the clear liquid only thing really got to me. They wouldn't let me have real food for 24 hours AFTER delivery because I'd had magnesium. So if I hadn't snuck food during labor they would have let me go 38 hours without food.

As for the epidurals, I would guess 75% of women probably plan to have one and another 10-15% cave and ask for it. I'm actually surprised 10-20% of their women DON'T have epidurals. The more everyone pushed me to get an epi the more determined I was not to have it. As long as you don't even view it as an option you will be just fine no matter what they say.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara~b View Post
Every time the medical personnel left the room I stuffed my face with french fries and nuggets.

Quote:
So if I hadn't snuck food during labor they would have let me go 38 hours without food.
That's such a long time!! I get REALLY grumpy when I don't eat.

Quote:
As for the epidurals, I would guess 75% of women probably plan to have one and another 10-15% cave and ask for it. I'm actually surprised 10-20% of their women DON'T have epidurals. The more everyone pushed me to get an epi the more determined I was not to have it. As long as you don't even view it as an option you will be just fine no matter what they say.
I hope so! I think that it might help knowing that the pain is temporary and that it ends with a baby. When I was 12, I dislocated my elbow, and because there was a piece of chipped bone lodged in the joint, it stayed dislocated for about 3 or 4 hours. I know that's probably nothing compared to childbirth, but I completely internalized the pain...didn't cry, didn't freak out, just became very quiet. I'm hoping my reaction to transition is the same.

September 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I was 9.5cm when I got to the hospital w/ my first (homebirth w/ second) and I was at the hospital 12hrs before giving birth. I was very uncomfortable being there and wouldn't allow my body to progress any further.

I was starving and my MW told me she encourages the eating and drinking during labor. I had a rude nurse and DH asked if he could feed me and my MW shook her head like she was scared to say yes, she told him NO! What?!

I ate a cheeseburger and fry anyways.

If you're hungry, your body NEEDS that food for energy. Hospital policy or not, they can't force you to not eat. If you need it, eat it.

Explicitly put in your birth plan that under no circumstances (whether you're loud or not) are meds to be offered. Have your DH/SO be your buffer on this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be very wary since they said "if you seem like you are not handling it well they discuss meds with you". I am not a believer in being quiet in labor. I don't think screaming and cussing at everyone is effective either, but I definitely make noise while in labor. I would also put it in your birth plan that they should NOT ask you about pain meds no matter what. If you choice to have them you will tell them, not the other way around.

Are you taking a NCB course to prepare for labor?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobittyBoo View Post
I would be very wary since they said "if you seem like you are not handling it well they discuss meds with you". I am not a believer in being quiet in labor. I don't think screaming and cussing at everyone is effective either, but I definitely make noise while in labor. I would also put it in your birth plan that they should NOT ask you about pain meds no matter what. If you choice to have them you will tell them, not the other way around.

I agree. I hope they don't think that "handling it well" automatically means that you are to be completely silent or it's drugs for you. I was definitely vocal during labor and remember screaming a bit at the end.
September 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I thought I read somewhere that 97% of women get epi's, BBOB?

I had a milkshake during labor, I could not eat anything, but was getting very very weak and the milk shake did the trick

September 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
I would also put it in your birth plan that they should NOT ask you about pain meds no matter what. If you choice to have them you will tell them, not the other way around.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to put that in my plan because I don't even want them to mention it to me.

Quote:
I'm doing hypnobabies and I'm also reading books on both Bradley and Hypnobirthing. I want to have a lot of tools just in case. I have a feeling that singing will actually be a good comfort measure for me. I love to sing, and I'm having DH bring his guitar.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search