where you live

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Where do you live?
How long have you been there?
Did you grow up in the area?
Do you like where you live?
What are the positives about where you live?
The negatives?
What would be ideal for you?
September 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Where do you live? Rochester NY
How long have you been there? Most of my life, lived in indiana for 6 years as a child
Did you grow up in the area? yes, i live across the street from the house i grew up in
Do you like where you live? love it!
What are the positives about where you live? beautiful, really unique, lots of historical stuff, family is here
The negatives? economy sucks, hard to find jobs, taxes are high
What would be ideal for you? Maybe a lower tax bracket? idk lol

September 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where do you live? Calgary, Alberta
How long have you been there? 14 years
Did you grow up in the area? We moved here when I was 11
Do you like where you live? It's not bad
What are the positives about where you live? We are close to the mountains
The negatives? It is in a city
What would be ideal for you? We would love to live IN the mountains, or in remote BC

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Iowa
How long have you been there? 4 long years
Did you grow up in the area? I grew up in a big city (Omaha, NE) and now live in a town of 500..it's very hard for me out here
Do you like where you live? I like parts of it - I like the idea of living in the country but really miss the convenience and socialization that comes with living in the city.
What are the positives about where you live? No neighbors, substantially lower crime rates and taxes
The negatives? I feel like there is less opportunity out here for me as a mom. No playgroups - really no moms my age as most people our age grew up here and are moving away, not coming back. I also feel like there is less opportunity for Brylie as far as education, extra curricular activities, etc (For instance, we want to do Montessori schooling, but it's not an option out here...we have 2 options: The Shelby County Catholic School which is k-8, or the public school)
What would be ideal for you? I would like to live in the suburbs of Omaha - or even in Council Bluffs, IA. Due to DH's career (farming) we will be here forever. it puts a lot of strain on our relationship because I am VERY unhappy here, but he can't farm anywhere else. It's nearly impossible.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Where do you live? Salem, OR
How long have you been there? 4yrs
Did you grow up in the area? No we moved here from Las Vegas, NV where I am from when I was 16.
Do you like where you live? I love it!
What are the positives about where you live? The town is just the right size, I can travel 60 miles in each direction and get something different like a big town, ocean, wilderness.
The negatives? A lot of things are closing here so jobs are becoming scarce.
What would be ideal for you? Yikes I'm not sure, well maybe to have less things keep closing down. Its a scary feeling.

September 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Where do you live? League City, Texas
How long have you been there? 5 years but have lived in this area for 9 years (2.5 of them part time cause I was in college)
Did you grow up in the area? Nope, but DH did
Do you like where you live? LOVE it here!
What are the positives about where you live? Everything you could want is nearby. I grew up in a REALLY small town in NY.
The negatives? Can't just walk to the grocery store (at least not safely).
What would be ideal for you? I think where we are is ideal. Close enough to the "big" city yet not inside the city limits.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

September 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where do you live? Rougemont, Quebec, Canada
How long have you been there? almost 9 years
Did you grow up in the area? In a town close by
Do you like where you live? I love it
What are the positives about where you live? It's far enough from the city to be country, but not too far to go shopping! It's also a touristy area so it's very beautiful
The negatives? There aren't many services nearby. I have to drive at least 20-30 minutes for anything. Nobody for Mia to play with and we can't walk anywhere.
What would be ideal for you? I'd like to pick up my house and yard and move it just a bit closer to a bigger town! I'd also love it if they would at least put sidewalks on our street so we could walk safely.

September 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Louisville, KY
How long have you been there? 1 year and a month
Did you grow up in the area? No, both DH and I grew up in a town 2 hours from here.
Do you like where you live? It's not bad. Wish we could live in a different part of town.
What are the positives about where you live? It's a decent sized city which means more shopping and things to do (I just never have the $ to do anything, though)
The negatives? I wouldn't say it's a beautiful city and birth options and maternity care here aren't great. And I'm not a fan of how long it takes to get somewhere.
What would be ideal for you? We want to move back to our hometown eventually. A smaller city would be better for us, I think.

September 13th, 2010, 05:36 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Where do you live? Sebree KY
How long have you been there? 4 long years
Did you grow up in the area? NO!
Do you like where you live? no
What are the positives about where you live? it's pretty and the people are nice.
The negatives? no culture! I agree with everything ChicaChels said about the disadvantages! I found out I am a city girl!
What would be ideal for you? I'm trying to sell my house and move back to FL where I lived for 32 years! Ideal: ALL my children and grandblessings in the same state!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where do you live? I live in Stafford, VA (a burb of DC)
How long have you been there? In this house for 4 years. Northern VA has been my home base since I graduated from college (2002). I've been a lot of other places because of the Army, but VA was my home of record the whole time.
Did you grow up in the area? Nope, I grew up in Lancaster County, PA. It is a rural, farming community. Then I lived in Philadelphia for college.
Do you like where you live? Mostly.
What are the positives about where you live? Mike & my careers are here. There aren't many other places in the country I can do what I do for a living & Mike works for a fantastic police department. Neither one of us would have these kinds of opportunities in our home town. I love our neighborhood. It's a lot of military folks, so we all kinda look out for each other since no one's family is close by. There's also a lot to do being this close to DC.
The negatives? Horrible, horrible traffic & a high cost of living. I'm 3 hours from my family. I hate that our parents don't get to see the kids as much as they'd like to. I'm an only child & very close to my Mom & Dad.
What would be ideal for you? I'd love to have a bigger yard; real estate was really expensive when we bought our house in '06, so it's a very small lot. I love my professional field, so I have to stay in VA, but I wish I could move my Mom & Dad down here.
September 13th, 2010, 06:40 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Italy
How long have you been there? 1 Year
Did you grow up in the area? No, I'm from Minnesota
Do you like where you live? Yes
What are the positives about where you live? Great people, lovely language and culture, very family oriented
The negatives? Far away from my home town
What would be ideal for you? Moving to Reykjavik, Iceland
September 13th, 2010, 07:16 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
Where do you live? Rochester NY
I was born in Rochester, but moved when I was 8. We still have tons of family up there, though. I'd move back in a heartbeat. I love it there. The city has changed so much since we moved... it's really coming back to life. That's great to see.

Where do you live? Rhode Island
How long have you been there? 1.5 years
Did you grow up in the area? No, I moved around a bunch
Do you like where you live? Not really... we moved here because of DH's job
What are the positives about where you live? Awesome rent, big backyard, aunt and uncle live close, close to DH's work
The negatives? In laws close, not the best area, on a very busy street, upstairs apartment
What would be ideal for you? I'd love to live in Massachusetts in the middle of the woods. Be less than an hour from the ocean. Big yard to garden in and for the children to play. Live in a standalone house.

September 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Where do you live? In South Eastern Massachusetts, basically between Boston and Providence, slightly closer to Providence

How long have you been there? 2 years

Did you grow up in the area? I basically grew up living in both Montreal and New Hampshire. My parents were divorced when I was 3ish and my mom moved to NH, my dad stayed in Montreal. I went back and forth.

Do you like where you live? I LOVE Massachusetts and New England and most of the North East in general. It feels like home to me. When I met John I moved to NJ to live with him because he was in medical school in NYC, then he got a job in NJ after he graduated. It wasn't home to us and we were far from my family. Sometimes I wish I still lived in Canada, I have a tough time with the US a lot of the time. But I married a US citizen, so that was the bed I made!

What are the positives about where you live? we have 2 acres of land that is all yard, tons of room for the dogs and us to spread out. Our yard is pretty private too. In NJ we had a great house but the whole lot was 1/4 acre and we had neighbors touching us on all sides. Here we have conservation land on one side and behind us, so we will never have anyone build there.

The negatives? I wish we were closer to Boston. It's just far enough and a pain in the butt enough that it isn't easy for me to jump in the car and go with the girls. I LOVE Boston. Out here it's hard to find things to do, and I have had a hard time making like minded mommy friends and kids for Cadie to play with, but it is getting better. I wish we had more good restaurants in this area, you really have to search for them. Thank goodness for yelp!

What would be ideal for you? Being able to have so much personal space closer to Boston would be wonderful.
September 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where do you live? Henderson , NV (a suburb of Las Vegas)
How long have you been there? 3 years
Did you grow up in the area? Nope, I grew up in Syracuse, NY
Do you like where you live? Not exactly though there are definate pros and cons
What are the positives about where you live? IT is financially very advantageous, there is no state income tax, very low property taxes, so we are able to have a life style here we could not have in the Northeast.
The negatives? I miss the seasons. The school system is terribble. The population is very transient so it is hard to meet people.
What would be ideal for you?
Key West.

September 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
I was born in Rochester, but moved when I was 8. We still have tons of family up there, though. I'd move back in a heartbeat. I love it there. The city has changed so much since we moved... it's really coming back to life. That's great to see.
I was born in Rochester too!!! How funny is this, I lived in Farmington until I was 9 and we moved to PA.

Where do you live? Tampa, FL
How long have you been there? 7 years
Did you grow up in the area? No - I grew up in NY and PA
Do you like where you live? Yes - for the most part
What are the positives about where you live? Tons to do and really great weather!
The negatives? Hurricanes and bad schools. The crime in some parts of the city are really bad.
What would be ideal for you? Right now being here is the best for our family. We may eventually move back to NC (where DH and I met).

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Buffalo, NY
How long have you been there? Going on seven months
Did you grow up in the area? No, but my husband did.
Do you like where you live? Yes, we love it here.
What are the positives about where you live? We are close to hubby's entire family, the food here is great, we have a great standard of living because hubby found a great job here, and there are tons of things to do.
The negatives? My beloved midwife isn't here, income tax and nasty winter weather.
What would be ideal for you? A climate change and it was fifty to seventy degrees here and mild year-round, my midwife moved here and the income tax was abolished. Oh and Manhattan was turned into its own state so that we could stop funneling all of our taxes to it. AND hubby and I get a house of our own (though this is in the plans for the future).

September 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Just south of Seattle in Burien.

How long have you been there? 4 1/2 years.

Did you grow up in the area? Nope. I grew up in So Cal, just north of LA.

Do you like where you live? I don't like the town or house we live in, but in general I like the Seattle area.

What are the positives about where you live? It's beautiful! The air is clean, the city is clean. There is a great atmosphere for natural birth and other natural things. But at the same time it's still an urban city. The housing is affordable (well compared to So Cal, where we moved from). DH is happy his family is here.

The negatives? DH's family is here! We are just too close to them. They are very overwhleming, which I'm not used to. We live in the house that FIL grew up in and he still owns, so we are renting from him. That causes issues. Plus they live 2 mins from our house anyway. The weather is a negative for me. I really miss the warm dry weather of So Cal. I miss the beaches. And the overall vibe of LA.

What would be ideal for you? Honestly I'm not sure. I am actually having quite an issue with this lately. I sure miss Cali, but I know that isn't ideal for me anymore, mainly because it isn't just me anymore. We have a growing family. We could afford so much more here in Seattle. But I feel so isolated here because I don't have good friends and I am overwhlemed with DH's family. So I guess my ideal would be a big chunk of land with a beautiful large house away from DH's family. But still in the larger Seattle area. We'll see....

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where do you live? Evansville, IN

How long have you been there? about 5 months....a year and a half total ( i lived here a few tears ago too)

Did you grow up in the area? NO! i am from North New Jersey.

Do you like where you live? It's ok. it's a big enough city, and i am starting to get into the groove of things and meet some like minded mommies.

What are the positives about where you live? It's pretty cheap.

The negatives? no beach, no mountains, no big city, no good pizza or bagels (all the things i miss about NJ).

What would be ideal for you? To live in the north east, i'd be closer to my friends and the beach.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Where do you live? PA, close to Pittsburgh
How long have you been there? Going on 1 yr.
Did you grow up in the area? No, but my DH did.
Do you like where you live? Nope!
What are the positives about where you live? Amusement parks are close by, the kids love that so it's a bonus.
The negatives? Everything other than the amusement parks lol. I really just don't like the weather, the area, nothing about it.
What would be ideal for you? Going back to ID would be ideal!

Facebook
September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where do you live? Folly Beach, SC
How long have you been there? 4 years
Did you grow up in the area? no
Do you like where you live? yes
What are the positives about where you live? the beach, laid back friendly people
The negatives? twenty-thirty minute drive to the grocery store and most of our friends, not a lot of kids around here
What would be ideal for you? the million dollar question!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search