pain - scared

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Super Mommy
I have been having "growing pains" lately. They happen at night, they are very painful (my uterus contracts even) and I get woken up by them, whimpering. I have to take deep breaths with every bout of pain and I am miserable. My doctor says these growing pains are normal. That is not my problem. My problem is that I am whimpering from these growing pains. They aren't even close to as hard as the contractions that I will have when I am going to give birth. How in the world will I handle this natural childbirth thing if I whimper from growing pains?

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I'm sorry that you are uncomfortable. Those pains don't necessarily reflect what your labor will feel like or how you will react to it. It can be a good time for you to practice how you will react to your contractions though.

Be sure to drink lots of water to make sure that you are not having contractions and cramping due to dehydration.

Have you read Childbirth without fear? An oldie but a goodie

September 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
awww don't doubt yourself
There are all kinds of nasty little pregnancy pains that can rock any girl back on her heels.
Keep in mind that when you're in labour you produce a wonderful concoction of hormones that are very effective at killing pain.
Trust your body!
September 15th, 2010, 06:09 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I am so sorry that this is a hard time for you! Like Que said, be sure that you are drinking enough water during the day, don't forget to have adequate sodium in your diet, and try eating a banana before bed... All of these things can help with pains, aches, and muscle contractions.

Something else to think of: have you been taking a prenatal yoga or pilates course? If not, you might want to look into it as it will help you be more flexible and limber while also letting your body grow more easily because it is in prime health.

Don't forget that labor discomfort is SOOO different than any other discomfort. You get this great cocktail of hormones that really do work in your favor AND you only have around 1 minute to 90 sec of discomfort before it goes away.. you get breaks in the middle of it all!

My SIL? She is the wimpiest wimp out there... I have literally watched her bawl and nearly pass out 'from pain' from a tiny nick on her finger. BUT, she did her 21 hour, premature urge to push, large baby, back labor just fine!!!

I second Childbirth Without Fear.. another one to look at is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth... and you seem like you would be a great candidate to reap the benefits of Hypnobabies.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Super Mommy
thanks for your help. I try to drink enough, but maybe I haven't been doing very well
I will look into those books you suggested.
I guess I just needed some people to encourage me to keep going. I told DH the same thing and he said "if you feel like you need it." Trying to be supportive of me, but not very helpful

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had a lot of aches and pains during my pregnancy and my DH kept joking about me not being able to handle it. When it actually came time for labor, the feeling was so different than the typical pains. To me, labor contractions feel like a bad case of diarrhea (sorry, not the prettiest analogy!). I didn't even think about getting drugs.

I definitely agree to prepare yourself through reading and possibly Hypnobabies if you're able.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search