Need T&P's please! - Updated

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I've been calling my midwives every few days telling them all this bleeding is NOT normal but they've been blowing me off. This morning I woke up to sheets soaked in blood. I went to the bathroom and passed a fist sized clot. I immediately went to the ER where they did an ultrasound and bloodwork. It shows I retained some placenta. I'm packing my bags and heading to the hospital where I delivered to have an emergency D&C. Please send some positive thoughts that this goes smoothly and I can get back home to my baby quickly.

Update: Well after being shuffled through three different hospitals I finally got my D&C. It was very scary because the doctor at the hospital where I delivered said that the placenta was in a very difficult position and there was a high risk of puncturing my uterus. She said that if that happened I would need a hysterectomy. Luckily the third hospital had the capabilities to do an ultrasound guided D&C and I assume it went well since I didn't see the doctor again afterwards. We're home and resting now and I'm just glad to be with my girls again.

ETA: I'm also very tempted to file a complaint since no one would listen to me about the pre-e or the bleeding. My daughter's life and mine have been put in constant jeopardy or at the very least taken very lightly repeatedly for the last 10 weeks. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297

Last edited by sara~b; September 16th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
September 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Praying for you hun! How scary!

September 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I've been wondering about you! How scary! I'll definitely be praying for you. KUP!!! *HUGS*

September 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are in my thoughts..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG how scary! I hope it's quick, and as painless as possible! T & P's!

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! Sending T&Ps your way.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sending T&P's...I hope it all turns out okay...

September 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yikes, the same thing happened to Que! Not sure if she had to have a D&C though. I hope you can get home quickly.
September 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I hope it's a quick recovery! This happened to my friend last month. Her OB blew her off too even though she kept passing out from blood loss before she was discharged after having the baby.
September 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
(((hugs))) lots of T&P.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh no!! Lots of Ts & Ps coming your way.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
September 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sending you prayers!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
September 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Super Mommy
thinking of you. i hope everything goes smoothly!

September 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you're home and resting... I don't know your whole story... but from what it sounds like you'd be completely justified in filing a complaint. Good luck with whatever you decide to do... and I hope you heal quickly!

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember the whole story either,
I went to the ER the day my daughter was discharged (i week PP) because I had just been spotting and then all of the sudden bled so much my pants were soaked - there was blood on the floor - it was a total mess. They decided I wasn't going to die so they send me home and did an ultra sound the next morning. They saw lots of blood and clots in my uterus but nothing else - so I just bled a lot later. I think like 3 weeks PP I passed a clot the size of my palm. mmm nice.
I went to the ER on my own decision - I called my midwife and she said it could be normal it could be retained after birth. I went because I felt lightheaded and freaked out (probably due to not sleeping for a week while my daughter was in the hospital). So ye - IDK. It can 'just happen'.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I guess I should clarify my question. I started swelling and having signs of pre-e around 33 weeks. I asked for testing repeatedly (the birth center doesn't do routine urine dips). I was brought in for fetal monitoring several times and my blood was taken multiple times as well. My liver and kidney function was fine so my midwife refused to do a 24 hour urine. It turns out I did have pre-e and it was only discovered during delivery. By the time Ash was born the placenta was so damaged and ugly that the midwife accused me of smoking and/or doing drugs during pregnancy. (I didn't do either!)

Then, around 2.5 weeks PP, my bleeding went from almost gone to bright red and heavy with golf ball sized clots. I called the midwives and the one I spoke to said that as long as I had no signs of infection I was fine and to take it easy. A few days later the bleeding picked up again and I had even larger clots and again I was told I had over done something and I needed to rest. They wouldn't even bring me in to be examined. So yesterday morning I wake up to soaked sheets and a fist sized clot. At that point I decided there was no point in even calling the midwives and I went to the nearest ER instead and that's where I was diagnosed with the retained placental lobe. They sent me back to the hospital where I delivered to be evaluated and treated by the midwives. From there I went on a 15 hour journey of having every test I'd already had done at the first hospital repeated. I was then told that they didn't have the capabilities to treat me and I would need to be transferred yet again. I was told this at 6PM but a transport wasn't arranged until after 8PM and I didn't actually get loaded into an ambulance until 9:45PM. All of that time was wasted on repeating tests to diagnose me with the same thing that had already been diagnosed and then waiting to transfer me to somewhere that could take care of the problem. And when my DH and I questioned the doctor and midwife on what was taking so long with the transport/testing/etc they refused to answer our questions. It wasn't until I got one of the nurses alone that she told me that the transport had not been ordered until hours after it was supposed to have been. My DH and I asked to be released so we could drive ourselves to the other hospital and were told we couldn't leave because of the liability issues. I was going to sign an AMA form and leave anyway but the midwife flipped out and told me that if I left insurance would cover nothing and I could hemmhorage and die before we got to the other hospital. When I questioned why it was suddenly risky for me after almost 6 weeks of walking around like this she got mad and didn't have an answer.

It's pretty obvious to me that they're trying to cover their own azzes after royally screwing up but I want to be sure I'm not just overreacting here. Honestly I think I'm very lucky I DIDN'T hemhorrage and have serious complications considering I returned to running 3 weeks PP and was getting ready to return to work this week. I feel like this should have been looked into the first time I called and then none of these complications would have happened.

PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)

September 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Would this be something they would have caught by doing a visual inspection of the placenta after delivery? I am not sure, maybe someone else knows.

As far as the pee dips, my birth center did it EVERY visit. Odd that they would not run them, especially if you asked.

September 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
It should be visible on the placenta, but it isnt always. I thoroughly inspected my placenta, but there can always be a little bit retained. I did have problems with passing a piece around 3 weeks post partum. I will be 10 weeks post partum on tuesday and I am still bleeding. But- I feel fine (ish) just tired. I did not want a D&C if my body was passing it naturally and I was not showing any signs of infection. I went to my midwife last week and everything still looks good to her as well.

It does sound frustrating about how they dealt with you at the hospital. Insurance liabilities are dumb. I hate insurance driven health care. Blah. I'm glad everything was eventually taken care of and that you are doing well. Be sure to do what I have a very hard time doing and take it easy!

September 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Que - From the way they explained it my placenta had grown an extra lobe so there was nothing missing from my placenta at birth. The extra lobe just broke off but it wasn't coming out on it's own. It was still receiving blood flow and attached to my uterine lining and acting like a placenta I guess.

I'm not mad they didn't catch it the first two weeks when things seemed fine. I am mad that they wouldn't look into it further despite me asking them to several times once things began to go downhill. I begged for a 24 hour urine and they refused. I begged to be looked at for the bleeding and they refused. Both times I had to depend on the OB's I had been desperately trying to avoid to diagnose my problem and justify my concerns.

I really worry for the other women that go to their practice. I'm very in touch with my body. I ran a 35 mile trail race 3 months before I got pregnant with Ash. I exercise religiously, take vitamins, eat extremely well, etc. You have to listen to every little thing your body is trying to tell you if you want to run long distance. So if they won't listen to me then what about a woman who is less educated or less in touch with her body? I just don't think I should have to feel lucky that my baby and I are alive and whole after such normal complications that could have been easily diagnosed weeks earlier than they were.

September 17th, 2010, 05:46 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Well, I guess you know who will NOT be caring for you if you get pregnant again!

I'm so sorry everything was so difficult. I'm glad you are finally home and recovering! I think you are totally justified to file a complaint. You're right about your concern for other women as well. Many first time Moms don't know what to watch for and will not even question the midwives and could end up with tragic results. A urine dip stick is standard. It's great for a midwife to be easy going, but they still have to know their stuff.

Enjoy your wonderful baby girl and the extra snuggle time you get to have. I'm praying for you!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search