Interesting Cesarean Information

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I was browsing California's information on cesarean rates (California is one of the great states that makes their cesarean rates available to the public). And found this information:

For Profit Hospitals Performing More Cesareans
Maternal Death Rates Increasing
Cesarean Rates Per Hospital (BTW, if you are in CA and have to birth in a hospital, go to St. Helena Clear Lake)

Thoughts? Let's get some discussion going.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I missed this post earlier! Having lived in CA and gave birth in CA with my oldest DD, I can definitely say that CA is not a very NCB friendly. I think you have to seek out good practioners and that search might be long and hard. I knew I wanted a NCB but I wasn't as informed as I could have been in the fact that I could have found another care provider.

I took Bradley classes. The woman who taught the class was actually a midwife. At the time a homebirth was not something I would ever consider. I should have picked her brain WAY more!

I was lucky and did acheive my natural birth, but not with any help what so ever from my doctors. The only reason why it happened is because my labor was really fast and I barely made it to the hospital! I could have easily had my daughter at home.

Having now lived in Seattle where NCB is way more embraced, even though still not the majority, I am so happy to have given birth to my last two children here rather than there! I don't have many stats to quote, other than the articles you posted but from a first hand account I know it is definitely NOT NCB friendly!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
From the first article you posted:
Quote:
A few obstetricians, like Dr. Jeffrey Phelan, director of quality assurance for obstetrics at Citrus Valley Medical Center in West Covina believe that a higher C-section rate might be beneficial, especially in preventing infant brain injuries. In rare cases, when a baby’s oxygen supply is cut off during birth, the baby may suffer brain damage. Because C-sections allow greater obstetrical control, Phelan says this problem might be alleviated by eliminating vaginal birth altogether.
Seriously? I think I would smack this guy if I ever met him. It's this thought process that is the problem. Too many think that vaginal birth is a problem. A c-section can help in certain medically necessary situations, but that doesn't mean that all women need to have them.

Our area isn't very NCB friendly, but the hospital system where I delivered has changed their policies on inductions from when Lily was born. They do not allow non-medical inductions prior to 39 weeks, including stripping membranes and "big baby". I have no stats on c-section rates, but I would hope that helps a little.
September 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im too tired to reply to this now..but im not surprised, but wow

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search