tips for natural birth in the hospital?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ladies, my first two babies were epi's in the hospital and im really not happy with those experiences so im doing a lot of homework and preperation this time in order to go natural . Im almost positive i'll be delivering at a birth center with a midwife, but there is still a chance i will have to go with an OB at a hospital. I know from experience how unsupportive the hospital environment can be for going natural, but i also know its not impossible.

Do you ladies have any tips for getting through it in such an environment? Im worried about being restricted in terms of movement, IVs and monitors, and the pressure to get the epi, for those that had natural hospital births, what types of things did you do that helped you overcome these obstacles of the non-ideal hospital environment?

TIA!!!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

September 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Do you have a choice of hospitals? If so, choose the one with the lowest epidural and or c-section rates.

Ask for a nurse who supports natural child birth.

Labor at home for as long as possible if you have a normal pregnancy.

Know your rights.

Get a doula.

September 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
^^Ditto all of the above

I had a NCB in a hospital

The first thing I did was switch to a MW, then hired a doula. I made it clear ahead of time what I wanted and did not want and made sure they were completely on board with it all (which they absolutely were). I labored at home for as long as possible. The nurses knew what I wanted once they learned I was a MW patient and they left me alone.

'shop' around for a good OB or MW that is willing to do whatever you want (within reason of course)

It is absolutely possible to have a NCB in a hospital! Definitely do your research!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

September 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Get a doula. I managed to do it with just my DH, but it was hard, and I also really lucked out and had a fantastic nurse. I wish now I would have had a doula, it would have been that much easier.

And everything else Que said!

September 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had my first in a hospital. First I got a doula, then I ended up switching from a busy hectic OB office that delivered out of a "baby factory" hospital (with the highest level NICU) to a midwife office that delivered out of a smaller, quieter, NCB friendly hospital. That was a big part of the puzzle.

physically I suggest seeing a chiropractor who has a lot of experience with pregnant women. Having your body in proper alignment can really help in labor. I did not do this with my first (fast hard labor, 3 hour pushing stage) but did with my second (fast easy labor, 20 minute pushing stage).

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...-outcomes.html (Chiropractic care in pregnancy & birth outcomes)

try to stay in shape as best you can, eat well, try to avoid becoming high risk

I highly suggest going with a method. Do tons of reading, really educate yourself on normal birth.
September 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great things said here!

September 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on the birth plan. I would also recomend having your OB and peditrician sign the birth plan before hand so it has the effect of written orders when you go into the hospital.

September 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking here ---I would recommend having someone in the room who will be an advocate for you--whether its a doula/DH, ect ect. I think you are at an advantage since you've had 2 births already. Are you taking any classes/reading up? Knowledge is power, and like someone above said, be determined but not beligerent.

Even though I told my OB at each one of my appointments that I did not want drugs, he still offered them--so even though a birth plan is a good idea, sometimes it won't matter when you're in the moment.

September 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had my second naturally in the hospital. I agree that you need to be aware of your hospital's policies and be upfront with your OB with a birth plan. I switched to an office that had midwives that could deliver low risk patients. I accidentally stayed home until the very last second and didn't make it to my hospital with my midwife, but I went in knowing my options and didn't back down even though I was at a hospital without any assigned care provider that was trying to push unnecessary things (iv, antibiotics, etc.)
September 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Get a kung fu Doula!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

September 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I recommend also reading "the thinking women's guide to a better birth" which will really help you become familiar with all the aspects of birth- interventions etc. This is a great way to figure out what you feel comfortable with and that you don't.

As far as birth plans go, they are great BUT they don't have as much power as they seem like they could. Sometimes they get read, sometimes they get followed, sometimes they don't. You should have one, but don't rely on it too much. You still have to be aware at all times.

Especially regarding after birth baby care. We declined everything except the hell prick test and we never let them take her from the room. I still had to remind them of everything and kept a close eye. They get so into their routines they don't think of these things I guess.
September 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
missmich
i just had my baby boy a few days ago and my goal was a natural child birth,but it ended in a csection b/c things got risky. i didn't feel pushed into it though b/ i had my doula who could explain things to me and help me comunicate what i wanted with the nurses. the hospital was very ncb friendly as well. i had a great birth plan that my nurses did read as far as i know. the only thing they "pushed" on me right away was the cath b/c my bladder was full and nothing was coming out and i tried hard.

The nurses were very good at respecting me the whole time and allowing me time to try and get things moving along on my own in a natural way. I was very good at negotiating what I wanted with them and explaining why I didn't want certain things. I think those 2 skills were really important to have when trying for a natural child birth.

Also please remember that if things don't work in the end and you have to have the epi or whatever,it's ok. You don't need to be angry with yourself. I do hope you get the NCB that you want though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search