When to meet with Doulas?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've decided that although we're using a freestanding birth center, I really want to hire a doula as well. The events that have transpired over the past 10 days or so leave me questioning just how much I'll be able to count on my husband for support when it comes time for labor and the delivery. When is the best time to contact them and start meeting/interviewing with them?

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
September 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't ever used a doula before so I'm not exactly sure. But I bet it's a lot like birth classes, you think its silly to find one early but the time you are ready all the classes are full and you wished you had done it earlier!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started looking for one pretty early as I wanted to find someone that we would click with. You might need to meet several prospective doulas to find the one that is right for you, so I would start earlier..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
The earlier you contact some in your area, the better chance you will have of getting the one you like and not being restricted because of their availability.

Also, the earlier you contact them, the better you can space your prenatals. Not all do, but when a mom contacts me earlier, they get more prenatals because we can space them, do refreshers, and even get some 'movie nights' in.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! I'm going to start contacting some tomorrow!

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
September 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope you find someone you mesh well with!

I hope things calm down for you a little. It's really frustrating to feel like you don't have full support from your husband all the time. Maybe it's a newly married thing, because I feel the same way about my DH. Especially when it comes to dealing with his family and me, his priorities are way off (in my opinion at least).

September 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
Hope you find someone you mesh well with!

I hope things calm down for you a little. It's really frustrating to feel like you don't have full support from your husband all the time. Maybe it's a newly married thing, because I feel the same way about my DH. Especially when it comes to dealing with his family and me, his priorities are way off (in my opinion at least).
Not that I would ever want anyone to feel this way, but it helps a little to know I'm not the only one going through this! We've been having a huge crisis with MIL and I feel like he has completely pushed me to the side and has been with her literally every waking moment! Until yesterday I had only seen him for an hour in the past two weeks. We were finally able to sit down and he actually listened to how I was feeling and came to a bit of an understanding. I hate that it came to it, but I was having real bad cramps yesterday, and when he found out last night, he felt REALLY bad that he had no clue what was going on, that I was scared, or that I had gone to the birth center. I think that's what kind of pulled him back to reality and made him realize that we are most important.

I hope that things get better for you!

Life As We Know It
September 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Yeah, start calling soon. I didn't meet my doula until the third tri and I liked her but felt kind of stuck because I was so close to the end.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yeah, I say now! That way you can take your time if you don't find someone you love right away and you won't feel pressured to choose someone you don't totally love because of time.

I think a doula is a great idea no matter what. My husband took a total backseat both times, and I was ok with that. I loved the female connection at the time.
September 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we actually hired our around 20 week but we started looking a couple weeks before that, but I wanted to meet with a bunch and decise who would work best for us. The popular one by me get booked quickly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search