Why can't people just be understanding?!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I mentioned to my mom that I was starting to call around to doulas, and that I was somewhat frustrated that no one has been returning my calls. I know they are busy, but when I want to get something under way I want to do it now!

So her response is, "You know, I'm pretty offended that you don't think your husband and I are good enough to help you." Now - I never ONCE mentioned to her that i was doubting DH's commitment since we seemed to have eliminated the issue of MIL being around for it. The biggest reason I'm going for the doula is because of my back injury and I think that any extra support that I can get will be helpful! Now she's all upset and not talking to me since "she's not good enough." *insert scream here*

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
IM sorry girl! Im sure she will come around, once she does you can talk to her and let her know thats not the reason and talk abotu things *hugs*

September 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh goodness. My husband did that to me. Since it was my husband and he was willing to be dedicated I went without a doula, but if my MOM was the one saying it I think I'd be pretty upset! It's your birth, for crying out loud, people need to just let you do what you want/need!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry! I have no real good advice, just wanted to give ya hugs!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
Super Mommy
*hugs* Maybe when she calms down a bit, you can explain that you will need them for emotional support and the doula for physical support. And that the doula is also for them (to help with any anxiety they have).
My DH is also not on board with a doula. He understands why I might want one, intellectually, but I think emotionally it is harder for him. I am not really set on having a doula so I haven't forced anything. But when I mention it to him he asks me why I would want another stranger in the room, especially when we have to pay for it. The conversation did get him to decide that he wanted to hear more about what I have been reading in my pregnancy books so that he can support me more.
Give your mom some time, it may have just been a shock to her at first, but she will probably come around.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
September 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm sorry. You can tell her that the doula is for the both of you. My DH wasn't sure he could handle labor and birth, and was all for having someone else there to help keep us both sane.

September 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
way to make it about her! My mom tends to be like that too.
September 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Neither my mom nor DH's has ever even been in the delivery room with me, so you could tell her to at least be happy she's going to be there

I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband was great, supportive present for our birth of Hudson, and in determining what we would do differently this time we both wanted a doula. This way Hubby has someone to take the pressure off him or allow him to go the bathroom, eat, etc... I think he is entitled to his own experience as much as I am and the doula will help him have it as well.

September 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well so far it doesn't seem to matter - I've been calling and emailing around all week and have yet to have one person call me back. I'm not the most patient person and I'm starting to lose what little bit of patience I do have!

Life As We Know It
September 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Jennifer - where are you located (PM me if you want) - I can email them too and be not as nice for you to get a response.

Remember, being the month of Labor Day, many are involved in community events that might be eating up their September - just a thought

PS So sorry for her stinky response to your frustration!

If she keeps acting like that, make light of the situation by saying "No, you two won't be enough! I am a very demanding and high needs person!" (snark - we both know the real reasons for getting a doula, but this is a good response to those who don't get it) - that way, it takes the focus off of their limitations and onto your needs.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfullymade View Post
Jennifer - where are you located (PM me if you want) - I can email them too and be not as nice for you to get a response.

Remember, being the month of Labor Day, many are involved in community events that might be eating up their September - just a thought

PS So sorry for her stinky response to your frustration!

If she keeps acting like that, make light of the situation by saying "No, you two won't be enough! I am a very demanding and high needs person!" (snark - we both know the real reasons for getting a doula, but this is a good response to those who don't get it) - that way, it takes the focus off of their limitations and onto your needs.
I'm in the Tampa, FL area. I did get an email back from one lady that she has forwarded my info to someone. So we'll see. I'll give it a few more days - once I hit a week with no response then it might be time to call in some back up! I didn't think about community events...that's a good point. I'll try to be a little more patient either way.

And I absolutely LOVE your response! I'm definitely going to tell her that next time she says something!

Life As We Know It
September 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
jamie7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I'm sorry your mom is not being more understanding hopefully she will calm down and see it your way. I have no advice just wanted to give you my support!

OUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BABIES ARE HERE! BRINLEE ANN AND LUCAS JONATHAN BORN 1/3/11 AT 8:54AM AND 8:55AM!
September 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
missmich
Hopefully the doula that you do find has a great way to explain to your mom that she isn't replacing her but adding to your support system. When I was learning about doulas and looking for mine some of the doulas profiles on line had some great info for husbands/family members who were not happy with the idea of a doula. Also does your mother know what a doula does? A lot of people really don't.

I hope you get a great doula soon. I had one and it didn't work out and thought there was no way I'd be able to find another,but within a few days I found the best one in my area!
September 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I emailed quite a few doulas a while ago and didn't hear back from most. I am curious to know what kind of back injury you have? I have my spine fused at L5-S1 and this is my first so I am not sure how it will impact labor.
September 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC#1inNC View Post
I emailed quite a few doulas a while ago and didn't hear back from most. I am curious to know what kind of back injury you have? I have my spine fused at L5-S1 and this is my first so I am not sure how it will impact labor.
I have three herniated discs. L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1. They've pushed surgery on me for years, and I just can't get myself to the point of doing it. I'll have an episode of excruciating pain that makes me consider it, but then when it eases I back down. I've been dealing with it for 10 years, so I guess I was just adjusting. This week has been AWFUL. I've been having horrible back and hip pain, which is really making me worried about the next 22 weeks, let alone labor.

My midwife said that it's definitely going to be more painful, but things like the jacuzzi, TENs unit, massage, heat, and pressure will help make the labor more bearable from that perspective.

Life As We Know It
September 23rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
first - big hugs sorry your mom's being a PITA
second - I get really nasty back pain(like can't get up without help can't put on shoes) and it was FINE during labour!!! It hurt a few days before - because she dropped - and pregnancy was tiring - but labour was fine. Also - since you are used to pain it will make labour easier. My mom told be nasty back pain was worse than labour for her - and I agree. You get breaks between contractions, you know it will end soon and it's for a good reason. It's pretty equal or a bit more in terms of intensity - but you aren't suffering.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Alright, the ones I found include:

Hallie Dedtrick
Robyn
and
Erin Phillips

I have sent emails out to each to say to be looking for your email because you have been contacting doulas with no response. that way it is still in your hands and control if you want to contact them or not and, if you already did contact them, they will hopefully get on the ball and get back to you.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfullymade View Post
Alright, the ones I found include:

Hallie Dedtrick
Robyn
and
Erin Phillips

I have sent emails out to each to say to be looking for your email because you have been contacting doulas with no response. that way it is still in your hands and control if you want to contact them or not and, if you already did contact them, they will hopefully get on the ball and get back to you.
Thanks! I did contact two of those already so it's a good start! I heard from one place which is apparently like a "network" of doulas. She said she'd pass my information around and then let me know who is available, and I can contact each of them individually. I'm not sure who all is in their network, for all I know it could be the people I've already contacted. I really didn't expect this to be so complicated!

Life As We Know It
September 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
missmich
If you have a lot of back pain I'd recommend those things from Playtex for heat. They sorta stick to your back and are constant heat. I wish I'd had one when I was in labor since Magic Bag didn't stay in place at all when I walked or layed on my side.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search