Born on a Bad Day

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone watching this show? One of these stories took place in the county just south of my hometown. An F-4 tornado knocks out the power to a rural hospital where a woman was in active labor. She was scheduled for her 3rd c-section but went into labor a week before that. The power went out for about 10-15 minutes before generators came on and she was already 10 cm at the time. The doctor arrived at the hospital and they went ahead with the c-section and as soon as they made the incision the generators went out. They did the c-section by flashlight while a tornado passed over the hospital. Fortunately everything turned out fine and the power came back on when they were finishing up the surgery.

I don't know too much about VBACs and I didn't catch whether or not there was absolutely a reason she needed to have a cesarean besides prior c-sections but I just kept wondering if allowing her to have a VBA2C would have been safer than doing a c-section under those conditions. WDYT?

September 24th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed! Surgery by flashlight...and she was already 10cm!

September 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I think they should have at least let her try!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
September 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I can't imagine!!! it would have been so much safer to let her have her VBAC (already 10cm?!?!?!) than to do major abdomenal surgery by flashlight, no way to monitor baby or moms vitals during it except stethescope/doppler, nothing in the event she had a massive hemm from the incision, nothing in the event the anesthesia wasn't handled well and she or baby went into cardiac, had plummeting BP, or worse.

That was stupid and risky, IMHO.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It reminds me of that silly youtube video that was posted yesterday: "she got to 9 cm so we knocked her out for a c-section." I would never consent to major surgery by flash light unless it were life or death.
September 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM
They were actually running on generators when they started the surgery, although the power was flickering. The power went out after the surgery had already begun. But yeah, they shouldn't have started it in the first place. But knowing the way hospital policies are here (and most places, really) I'm sure the thought never crossed any of the doctors or nurses minds to let a woman with prior c-sections try to deliver vaginally, but in those circumstances it should have.

That show was pretty freaky. One woman in Utah was crowning when a crazed man with a gun came to the hospital, shot one of the nurses and took the staff, the woman in labor, and 2 new babies hostage. He had a bomb and everything. I'm assuming that woman had had an epidural because they told her to stop pushing and she didn't deliver for a couple more hours. They were still being held hostage for hours after the baby was born. They said none of the 3 babies cried for 16 hours.

Another woman gave birth in a motel during a Cat 4 hurricane which blew out the window in their room. Luckily a midwife was staying at the same place and was able to deliver her. She went from 4 cm to pushing the baby out in 6 minutes.

September 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent'sMommy View Post
One woman in Utah was crowning when a crazed man with a gun came to the hospital, shot one of the nurses and took the staff, the woman in labor, and 2 new babies hostage. He had a bomb and everything. I'm assuming that woman had had an epidural because they told her to stop pushing and she didn't deliver for a couple more hours. They were still being held hostage for hours after the baby was born. They said none of the 3 babies cried for 16 hours.

Another woman gave birth in a motel during a Cat 4 hurricane which blew out the window in their room. Luckily a midwife was staying at the same place and was able to deliver her. She went from 4 cm to pushing the baby out in 6 minutes.
All of that is just CRAZY!! She might not have had an epidural. Your body is amazing. If that much danger presented itself it could possibly just shut off! The same way the babies didn't cry. Amazing!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobittyBoo View Post
All of that is just CRAZY!! She might not have had an epidural. Your body is amazing. If that much danger presented itself it could possibly just shut off! The same way the babies didn't cry. Amazing!
I guess that makes sense! The show is on TLC again right now if anyone is able to catch it.

September 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. That is insane. A friend of mine was at 9cm with her first when she hit the "24 hour mark" after her water broke and they cut her open. ***? I would NEVER have consented to that. So 10cm and going under surgery does not sound too insane.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search