exercise

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
do you work out on a regular basis when you are not pregnant? when you are pregnant? what do you do? How often?

I love to exercise! I did work out when I was pregnant with Cadie, but never did with Vivian. I stopped working out cold a few months before I got pregnant with her because I was thinking that working out too hard might be one of the things preventing me from getting pregnant right away. I never found the motivation again, and stopped my gym membership. I *just* got back into the gym about 2 weeks ago, it's going well so far. I've been taking zumba classes- not totally my thing but a good way to get a great workout. I sometimes don't push myself as hard as I should when I am just working out freely. I have 'turbo jam" at home on dvd and did that today, I like this a lot better than zumba but it's tough to do with Cadie around. She ended up hanging on my legs at the end. I love yoga but there is a shortage of good yoga around here. My gym offers one class a week and it's gentle yoga, not exactly a calorie burner. I can't find any good classes close by anywhere, I would love access to hot yoga, no dice on that. I think that would be a fantastic way to lose weight but I wonder if it would be too much at only 3 1/2 months PP nursing full time. I have never had supply issues but that might be too much. I have some great yoga dvd's but again, Cadie hangs all over me.

Need to get back to free weights soon for my flabby arms soon!
September 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't work out! I used to love to do it, but I just got out of the groove. Actually that's not true... I used to dance and stay in shape that way but I haven't had the time or money for myself to do that. I worked at a gym for a number of years so I learned how to work out in the gym and did that but didn't LOVE it. Now I am just fat... I am sick of it! I even bought the crazy expensive BOB stroller to get my butt moving outside after I had Kate, but that hasn't happened much. DH wants to do a 5K around Christmas time so I keep starting the week saying I'm going to at least walk a couple times a week but by mid-week I haven't even gone once. Ugh...

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Does walking around Hobby Lobby once a week count as exercise? That's about all I do. Right before I got pregnant with Lily I belonged to a gym and was going about 3 times a week, but I stopped going during the 1st trimester when I was exhausted. I plan on doing some mall walking while Lily's in preschool after I get my sewing projects done.
September 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I work out at home. I have the Turbo Jam series and I also do some pilates and 30 day shred by jillian michaels. My friend and I go to Zumba classes sometimes as well. Lily likes to work out with me, she's pretty good about staying in her space and doing the moves. She likes to do a YogaKids DVD as well on her own. The issue I run into is Violet wants to crawl and cruise around, but if I'm working out then I try to contain her in the Pack 'n Play and she throws a fit because she wants to be out of it.

I worked out during both pregnancies as well. I'm one of those chubby active people

September 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i dont' normally work out. I work 12 hour night shifts, and i'm just beat when i get home. I usually spend my down time laying on the couch.

I was on bedrest for a lot of the time i was pregnant, so not much exercise there either. Though now that i'm off, i try to go for a walk every day.

DH and I plan to reopen our gym membership after we get used to having the new baby.

September 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to work out all the time, classes mostly. I went through all the fads: step aerobics, slide, Tae box, you name it! Then at 26 years old I became pretty sick with Crohn's disease and could barely function, much less work out. When I got pregnant with Mia, my Crohn's went into remission, but I didn't get back to the gym just yet. When she was a few months old, I started working out at home, treadmill and dvd's. I stopped everything except walking when I was TTC and pregnant with Edward. He's an IVF baby and I wanted absolutely nothing to interfere with the treatments and pregnancy. Since he's been born, I've started power walking with him outside, and just got back on the treadmill this week. Also, I've noticed my arms are starting to look pretty good from hefting my 18lb baby around all day
I'd like to run a marathon with my sister maybe next summer. I've got to catch up to her in terms of training though. And like Cheryl, I'm not sure how far I should push myself being 3 mos PP and breastfeeding.

September 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate exercizing for exercize sake but I like sports. I usually play tennis 3 nights a week when I am not pregnant. I stopped when I was about 8 weeks pregnant because of morning sicknessand since I did not get over it until 18 weeks I decided to wait until I was done with the pregnancy to restart.

September 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
before i got pregnant with Sarah i never worked out. i was very thin and had a fast metabolism. i didn't really even start working out until Sarah was almost 2 and i was determined to lose the baby weight i never lost. but then i got pg and miscarried and stopped working out. then i got pregnant again and i was too paranoid and nauseous to even consider working out.
so yeah....i suck at exercising.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 26th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm horrible at it. I used to work out at the gym twice a day when I was younger (I worked there), but now I just can't get into it. Since my back has gotten worse I just don't have it in me. I try to walk and swim a few times a week.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I used to be good about exercising. I had a friend that kept me honest, though. If I can get into it and have a workout buddy that won't let me slack, I actually really like exercise. But on my own I'm prone to laziness. So I haven't been to a gym in ages. I didn't get my license until I was 26, so I used to ride my bike or walk everywhere. I love Tae Bo, so I have a bunch of the DVDs. If I can just get off my lazy butt during the day and get it done!

September 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
do you work out on a regular basis when you are not pregnant? when you are pregnant? what do you do? How often?

I work out regularly. Before having Zoe i was exercising 5-6 days a week, mostly running and stair stepper. I used to run 75 miles a week. I ran/walked while pregnant (alternating running and walking, easy pace) until 6 months, then just moved to power walking until she was born. I tried to do that 3-5 times a week while pregnant. Now, I run 3-5 times a week, not nearly as many miles as before at all, but enough to get the job done at my races. I was doing mommy and baby yoga, but now Zoe is in preschool yoga

September 27th, 2010, 07:32 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When not pregnant I walk, bike ride, hike, total gym, yoga.

When pregnant I walk and do yoga.
September 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work out regularly. When I was pregnant, I continued to work out but started doing things like water aerobics, yoga, and walking instead of kickboxing, running, and lifting weights. I haven't been to a gym since I was 8 months pregnant, but I bought an elliptical at home and have been using it about 4 days/weeks since 2 weeks pp. I just started running last week and it feels great! I'm not sure when I'll join a gym again because of the childcare situation (they don't offer it until 6 months and I wouldn't want DD there during the cold and flu season anyway) but I miss it.

September 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I still workout of 6 days per week. I run, lift weights and do yoga. I have cut back my mileage a ton and I just chug along at my own pace but I am still doing it. I feel it is so important during pregnancy to remain active. We have made it a priority to teach our children by example the importance of daily physical activity. There are so many children that suffer from obesity due to parents that we don't want to become a statistic.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

September 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I am huge into running. I did an ultramarathon 3 months before I got pregnant with Ash. I cross train and strength train just to make my running better. I ran through my first tri and tried to run through my second tri but was totally walking by the third tri. I started running again at 3 weeks PP but was sidelined again by the retained placenta and D&C. I started running again last week and have continued since. We have a BOB stroller for when the weather is nice and I have a treadmill for when it's not.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search