Induction Happy? (a little vent)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
So it seems like a lot of ladies in my DDC have scheduled inductions. I know that some are for medical reasons, but it really seems like it's a lot of people considering we're not even in October yet. I'm not one to judge other people's decisions, but for some reason, it just bugs me. Why won't people just wait until the baby is ready? Is "convenience" really worth risking the complications that could come with induction? I guess I just needed to get that out.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
September 28th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
It's very typical, when you get that far along people start losing their patience... the desire to meet baby takes over their minds and I think sometimes they look for any possible reason to evict asap (even if it's really not a good idea)! Honestly I'll probably back off my DDC and hang out here more towards the end because it frusterates me to no end and I am not good and keeping my opinions to myself lol.

Facebook
September 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
This is so typical. I wasn't as active in my DDC towards the end because I was tired of reading about inductions and some failed inductions (for no medical reason) that ended in c-sections.
September 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also checked out of my DDC for awhile because of the the unnecissary inductions and things... ya just want to shake people!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
September 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
When I read about medically unneccessary inductions... I think to myself, "you have about a 30 percent chance of ending up with a c-section." Then I sit and wonder how many of them are going to be the ones that are "completely devastated" that they got a c/s and will talk incessantly about their trauma for the next year or so.

No way in heck would I take that risk unless I had to. With my first, I had to..I didn't want to, but it was medically necessary. I'm hoping to avoid an induction this time. That's why I got a midwife, because it's not standard practice. Hopefully my BP doesn't skyrocket again and I don't risk out and get referred to her OB backup because then being due around Thanksgiving time...haha.. yea, you know the chances of an OB pushing an induction increases like 100-fold.

September 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oooooh yeah. I'm due Jan 20th, and my MIL suggested being induced in December for insurance reasons! And then she tried telling me that inductions aren't that bad, and it would be fine. Yeah, THREE weeks early.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

September 28th, 2010, 12:16 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
very typical. It's frustrating for sure.
September 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I agree its very typical and can be hard to deal with. The ladies here are an amazing support though!

September 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's crazy, I've been induced for "medical reasons" (still think I should have just gone home) and it was miserable. I don't know why people want to do it for no reason. At school, I was saying it would be nice if this baby wanted to come a week early so I have time to recover between semesters and someone suggested I ask my doctor for an induction. I probably looked at her like she was crazy, but why would someone want to put themselves through that on purpose and risk a c-section on top of it?

September 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Yeah I think a lot of people this its the "easy" way out but don't realize what it can lead to. I just ignore post about induction

September 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
When I read about medically unneccessary inductions... I think to myself, "you have about a 30 percent chance of ending up with a c-section." Then I sit and wonder how many of them are going to be the ones that are "completely devastated" that they got a c/s and will talk incessantly about their trauma for the next year or so.
Hi That would be me Julie is describing. Thanks a lot, friend.

Anyhoo, I too am made very uspet by the talk of unnecessary inductions. I, however - having BTDT, feel very sorry for the women who are being led astray like that. Nobody waltzes into a doctors office and says "Hi, I'd like to be induced" and the OB says "you know, that could be really dangerous?" and she says "don't care. Induce me please." Most of the time the OB is either dangling a tempting fruit before a very unhappy very uncomfortable woman and saying "this could all end if you just let me help you" or downright coercing and lying and threatening - as in my case. I know it's really frustrating, but try to look on them with compassion instead of scorn. They have been / are being lied to by their doctors. And many of them will have horrific experiences that end in some form of surgical birth. It's the doctors I want to string up from the nearest tree

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
September 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm in your DDC, and i feel like there will be no babies left for october!

September 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
Hi That would be me Julie is describing. Thanks a lot, friend.

Anyhoo, I too am made very uspet by the talk of unnecessary inductions. I, however - having BTDT, feel very sorry for the women who are being led astray like that. Nobody waltzes into a doctors office and says "Hi, I'd like to be induced" and the OB says "you know, that could be really dangerous?" and she says "don't care. Induce me please." Most of the time the OB is either dangling a tempting fruit before a very unhappy very uncomfortable woman and saying "this could all end if you just let me help you" or downright coercing and lying and threatening - as in my case. I know it's really frustrating, but try to look on them with compassion instead of scorn. They have been / are being lied to by their doctors. And many of them will have horrific experiences that end in some form of surgical birth. It's the doctors I want to string up from the nearest tree
If you were lied to, misled, or coerced, then NO....you're not the kind of person I was referring to. I was ONLY talking about the women who go to their doctors and beg for an induction because they're over being pregnant, uncomfortable, or just want it done with at a certain time for convenience. And there are plenty of them (I've known some in real life). Some don't even have to beg...some just say "hey, it would be more convenient if i could have this baby this week because of _______. Would you do it?"

September 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
I'm in your DDC, and i feel like there will be no babies left for october!
It sure seems that way, doesn't it? Although I was happy to read qberry's thread about who is NOT being induced or having a c-section - made me feel better knowing there are actually quite a few of us.

btw, so glad to see that you've made it this far! I know you're miserable, but hang in there!

September 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People can't be patient these days, which is a shame because a baby and child require a lot of patients. So many of my clients talk about having the baby early, or once they hit 36 weeks (which isn't even full term here) how can they speed things a long. I just tell them to wait and that baby will decide when to come out, and you can tell they do not like that answer.
September 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
I too am made very uspet by the talk of unnecessary inductions. I, however - having BTDT, feel very sorry for the women who are being led astray like that. Nobody waltzes into a doctors office and says "Hi, I'd like to be induced" and the OB says "you know, that could be really dangerous?" and she says "don't care. Induce me please." Most of the time the OB is either dangling a tempting fruit before a very unhappy very uncomfortable woman and saying "this could all end if you just let me help you" or downright coercing and lying and threatening - as in my case. I know it's really frustrating, but try to look on them with compassion instead of scorn. They have been / are being lied to by their doctors. And many of them will have horrific experiences that end in some form of surgical birth. It's the doctors I want to string up from the nearest tree
I have to agree. I think that a lot of moms would not opt for an inducution if they were truly informed of the real risks (uh... whatever happened to INFORMED consent?!?!). I bet if moms asking to be induced early were told directly (not vaguely) what the consequences could be, they would probably decide to wait a little longer for baby to come.

We live in a society that tells us to trust medical professionals just because they are just that, medical professionals. Why would a woman seek for further information when her OB "knows it all." Surely, my doctor will tell me everything I need to know, right? It is assumed that there is no way a doctor would be so unethical as to deliberately do something that could cause unnecessary harm/complications. Unfortunely, that is not always the truth.

On a positive note, in our state a lot of insurance companies are now saying that they will not cover elective inductions. The woman must either be past her due date or have a well documented, emergent condition to have an induction paid for. It's perhaps a small step, but I think it's a step in the right direction!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
October 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
On a positive note, in our state a lot of insurance companies are now saying that they will not cover elective inductions. The woman must either be past her due date or have a well documented, emergent condition to have an induction paid for. It's perhaps a small step, but I think it's a step in the right direction!
I'm glad things are changing some in your area, but the due date is still a grey area too. Not every woman has the perfect 28 day cycle (and not everyone even knows there can be fluctuation), so the due date shouldn't be set in stone. My sister opted for an induction because she was 6 days "past due" according to her OB. The issue I had was that every single u/s and fundal measurement put her 2 weeks behind the LMP due date. No matter what I told her, she still opted for the induction. Coincidentally it was 2 days before Christmas so of course her OB was willing to go for it instead of risk her going into labor on Christmas.
October 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
Is it really that easy to be induced? Where I am from there has to be a medical reason for it. I was induced for being 12 days overdue with my first and then for health reasons for my second and then with my third my water broke so I went in labour on my own. I don't mean to sound rude or anything I just didn't even know it was possible to just get induced for convenience...sounds silly to me!
October 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmomma View Post
Is it really that easy to be induced?
I didn't really think it was, but it really depends on your Dr. and what his/her views are. Some are a lot more liberal about induction than others. My OB office tends to lean towards more natural/less intervention births, but I know someone whose OB is in the same building as mine that allowed her to "choose" her due date via induction.

October 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I think that women who are begging to be induced because they are impatient are the same women who are asking for an epidural the minute they walk in to the hosp. They have no intention to birth naturally...they are of a totally different mindset that the women on this board.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search