Will waters break on own when ready?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2010, 03:09 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Hi, ladies. I am a lurker here, because it's so educational, but don't really belong since I am going more for as little intervention as possible, vs. natural all the way. I'm due 11/14, second child, 32 years old and planning a VBAC in one of Maine's few VBAC friendly hospitals under the care of a practice with an OB, DO and/or midwife (whomever's on call will deliver). I have some questions/thoughts I hope you don't mind me posting here - I'm looking for some different perspectives and not one to just follow whatever the doctors or books say, esp. when it comes to child birth & women's/children's health. So there's my lil intro, now down to the question, finally!

Do you think waters will break on their own when a woman is truly ready to labor & deliver? I know some providers will break the bag if it hasn't by a certain point, then again they do lots of things to try & force progression, that (from what I've read) tend to fail then the woman is told she needs a c/s. I can't help but wonder if all she needed was time, or if sometimes waters just won't break etc. I am on a "timeline" for progression with my VBAC, so plan to labor at home for a while before going in. It's an hour and 20 minute drive, and I'm getting nervous about knowing when to head out, worried it'll be too soon or too late - gulp! I'm 33 weeks but have already been having sporadic contractions. I have some health issues & possibles with the baby that in my opinion rule out a home birth as a safe option, but then again issues that make a c/s a REALLY bad option too! I'm kinda thinking waiting for my water to break would be a good indicator things are really happening...but what if it doesn't?! I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts/experiences on natural progression & signs of real deal labor. THANK YOU!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

September 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
The water will break sometime. ;-) I know, such an iffy answer. Your water does not need to break for baby to be born, although most breaks before baby is all the way out. Actually, the longer the water stays intact, the easier contractions are, the more even dilation is, the reduced risk of babies heart tones going iffy, and the less coning/molding baby will have on his/her head.

Check out these videos for more information on the water bag at birth.
Waterbirth
Home Waterbirth
Lovely En Caul

And these pics/stories
En Caul
Water intact

And I wrote this post about it.

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Last edited by wonderfullymade; September 28th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
September 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have an answer but if it makes you feel better...

My waters broke on their own 2 weeks prior to my EDD... I didn't have any contractions and I feel I went to the hospital a little too early but after reading up on it it could have taken up to 12 hours for contractions to start on their own and your body will consistently produce more amniotic fluid... just a tid bit of info
September 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Waters will break at some point during labor/birth (usually). I read that roughly 10% of labors start with the water breaking. For the rest of us it happens while we're laboring, or when we're pushing, or sometimes not at all. I do believe that my waters being intact until the very end of labor helped me have a much more pleasant laboring experience - the water distributes pressure on the cervix, I've heard of many women saying it got much harder to get through contractions after their water broke.

There really isn't a reason to break your water, though many doctors will do so in the hopes it will speed thing up (which it can do - and some women decide it's better to have their water broken than put on pitocin or other means of augmentation when labor is slow... that is a personal choice). Also keep in mind that doctors will start a clock when the waters break, you have 24 hours to deliver (some doctors just require you to be in active labor by 24 hours, but some want the baby OUT by 24 hours) because without it the risk of infection increases with time.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water never broke on its own. I was 9.5 cm and I was exhausted and ready to get baby out and asked them to break my water, I guess because I thought it would help it go faster. In hindsight I wish I hadn't because I know it really wasn't necessary. Maybe DS would have been born en caul. I doubt it but that would have been pretty neat.

September 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
You can have a baby without your water breaking. It's called being born in the caul. It almost happened to my waterbaby but it broke as his head was being born.
September 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Wow, thanks for so many great replies, and man am I glad I asked! Amazing how sometimes you think you know something, and are totally wrong! I thought your water had to break to deliver, and was a sign of labor. Kinda scary, makes me wonder what else I think I know and don't. It's good to know that intact water bags can benefit baby & I, knowing that will make a difference when/if I give the ok for them to break my waters to stimulate things. If it can avoid pitocin, I'm all for it, especially since I am VBAC'ing. As my EDD approaches, I feel so unprepared and uneducated, even though I've researched til my eyes cross for months! Now to check out those links! And thank you again, real mom info is invaluable to me!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

September 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know, we really don't know anything different from our water breaking or being broken during labor. Most people assume you HAVE to break a woman's water for the baby to born, but it's more for the doctor's convienence than anything. My second daughter was born in the caul and the midwives said that can make pushing a lot easier. Chances are, at a hospital, the doctors will break your water at some point unless you tell them not to.

Expecting baby #4!

September 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most waters will break, some waters will stay intact and baby will be born in the caul. I was really hoping for my water to break during pushing. But my water broke before my contractions started, which started 2 hours later. I had a homebirth, so I walked a lot and it really sucked to have my water broke because it keeps coming. Every 5 minutes I'd have another gush of water and I went through a lot of pants and undies that day.
September 29th, 2010, 08:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
with my first, 12 hour labor, my water broke about 6 hours into it, and things got crazy intense after that. Tough labor all around on me. For my second, 8 hour labor, my water didn't break until maybe an hour before she was born. I was so thankful for that! A much easier labor all around.
September 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was induced with pitocin with my first...but i avoided the epidural for about 12 hrs because my water was intact. since my water hadn't broke the dr. turned the pitocin off and let me eat and sleep before giving it another try. after a good night's sleep they turned the pit back on and broke my water. after my water was broken then contractions got SOOOO much harder to deal with and about 2 hrs later i got the epi.
i hope my water stays intact for as long as possible this time!!!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I let my midwife break my water. I had been in a great labor pattern and then it just stopped. And when it didn't return after 3 hours, she asked if I wanted her to break my water. She left the decision totally up to me and didn't pressure me one way or the other. The thought of going home was torture. I was already 3 days past my EDD, and I just wanted the baby here. So I made the decision to let her break my water. And within 15 minutes, the contractions were back. What they say is true--it hurts a lot more once the bag is broken. I immediately got in the birthing tub. I wish I wouldn't have needed the AROM. Well, I didn't need it. It was a choice I made. I don't regret making it, but I'm sure my labor would've been less intense had it broken on its own close to or during delivery.

September 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
with my first, the midwife broke my water at 10cm after losing the baby's heartbeat so they could put on an internal monitor

with my second, my water sprung a leak 2 days before she was born, and broke completely sometime during labor on it's own

with my third, my water broke as she was crowning - on its own

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

September 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke a few hours before labor started at 41 weeks. It was so weird. He was squirming around a lot, it felt like he poked me with a finger, and it popped . I have no idea what really happened, but he did come out with really sharp nails, so that's how I picture it. I wonder how much longer he would have baked if it hadn't broken first.

September 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My first wasn't a natural birth. I got the epidural at 4cm and the OB broke my water at that point. With my second, my water broke an hour or so after my first contraction and I immediately felt the urge to push. I was at home still, but I assume I was fully dilated at that point.
September 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My water broke at 9 cm with my first DD. I was pushing about an hour later. It may have stayed intact longer. It broke when my midwife was checking my dilation, so I think she may have accidentally broken it. It didn't break until my first push with my second DD, and she was born 2 minutes later. My mom had my sister at home, and I remember that her water didn't break until just before she started pushing.

September 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Super Mommy
My water always breaks on its own, and it always happens when I had just woken up. I sit up, and all of the sudden WHOOSH.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search