Question about switching Drs (x-posted)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
So I am still thinking about switching Dr's. I really like my OB but I still don't like the fact that it will most likely be someone that I have never met before delivering my baby. So I am thinking of going to another Dr and just see what I think. See if they will be there at the delivery. Just because I go see someone new doesn't mean I have to switch.

I just feel since I am trying to go natural it would be better to have the same Dr or midwife throughout the pregnancy and then also have them be there for the delivery, so that they will know how I feel about things and know that my natural childbirth decision wasn't made spur of the moment but that I have been reading about it the entire 9 months. From what I have read it is hard to get support for NCB at a hospital and I feel I will have more support if my dr/midwife is with me.

What do you think?
October 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that sounds like a good plan, also consider getting a Doula.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
October 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Ditto on the doula!

I switched midwifes around 24 weeks last time around. IMHO, if you really want to have a natural birth, you need to have as much "say" over the things you are able to "control." You can't really "control" labor, and if you are delivering at a hospital, you won't get to pick your nurses, the hospital procedures and policies, etc.

Having a doctor who knows about and supports your desire for a NCB is critical in my opinion. In the hospital, your doctor will be calling most of the shots and if he/she isn't "on your side," anything goes.

There's no harm in interviewing some other doctors or midwives. I say shop around and then make the best decision for you.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; October 1st, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
October 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its an iffy situation with doctors, i've had two different OBs and i dont think they had anything to do with why i didnt go natural because they werent there for most of the time in the hospital beyond the last half hour, and most of the laboring naturally takes place before pushing LOL. The nurses in the hospital are more key because they either let you out of bed, support you, encourage you, etc or they dont!

I totally second the doula if you are in a hospital, i think that would be more helpful than switching doctors, although if you want to switch go ahead, but switching alone likely wont change much since doctors arent actually there helping you for the important parts!

but yes shop around, im so glad that i switched providers, i felt a huge sense of relief once i did!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

Last edited by toasty; October 1st, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
October 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my CNM and can't imagine going anywhere else - but the hosptial is also VERY ncb friendly, and that is SO important to me. I never would've survived my experience with Brylie if it hadn't been for my nurse.

So if you don't find a doctor you love, find a hospital you feel comfortable at and hire a fantastic doula

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search