Questions for Doulas

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay ladies - after much frustration I finally talked to three doulas this week! It just so happened to be all three that I found on the DONA website, none of which have websites for a business. So much for Google this time around!

I wasn't real thrilled with one of them, she seemed nice and had worked with with midwives at my birth center before, but in talking to her, I just didn't get the feeling of passion and excitement from her when she talked about her work and experiences.

I'm meeting with the other two next week and want to start working up a list of questions. Anything you made sure to ask or thought of later that you should have asked?

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm the kind of person that would read into not being thrilled initially talking to her. I would just cross her off my list immediately. I found this sheet linked on my doula's website, DONA International – How to hire a doula
I asked most of those questions but I also asked her the types of birth's she has been to. Also another question is asking about payment options, we bartered for our doula services, I know some will do payment plans and some won't and that could make a difference.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
October 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
- I wasn't 'thrilled' with either of my midwives when I first met them and I loved one of their students. The student flaked out and never even said bye. I *LOVE* my midwives now - had a fantastic birth experience and was so supported my whole pregnancy. I don't know what that says - don't ask me? LOL.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Last edited by sodagirl; October 1st, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
October 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I thought I liked my doula until she flaked out during my labor and said she had somewhere to be. She left twice and the second time she didn't come back. I ended up with her back up doula who I had never met and loved (for the most part). Don't pass judgement until you meet in person and see if there is a 'real' click or not.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
October 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara~b View Post
I thought I liked my doula until she flaked out during my labor and said she had somewhere to be. She left twice and the second time she didn't come back. I ended up with her back up doula who I had never met and loved (for the most part). Don't pass judgement until you meet in person and see if there is a 'real' click or not.
The two that I planned on meeting did offer to let me meet their back ups but said it was VERY rare that they ever had to use them.

The way I look at it, if I don't feel like I connect with them over the phone, I don't feel like I need to spend time meeting with them in person. I used our phone conversation as a sort of pre-screen and then set up meetings with the two that I felt most comfortable with on the phone. The two that I'm meeting with also offered to give me references from recent clients. I'm going to talk to my midwife this week when I go for my appointment as well, and see what her opinion is on them, since I will have met both by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I'm the kind of person that would read into not being thrilled initially talking to her. I would just cross her off my list immediately. I found this sheet linked on my doula's website, DONA International – How to hire a doula
Thanks! I guess that would have been a good place to look.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara~b View Post
Why did she leave and did she give any notice or warning that she's have to leave you?

My doula spent the night at my house during labor and went to the hospital with me the next day. She needed to eat so she asked if I was ok on my own for a little while. That was fine,she did this twice I think. Then later on she said that she'd be leaving me so she can go home and refresh herself so she can come back early the next morning and give me her best. She told me the back up doula would be arriving in a few hours. I'd never met her before but had talked to her on the phone and liked her from our conversation. I was ok with this though,but if she'd given no warning or just said "I have to be somewhere" I'd be upset.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search