Risk of Meconium~ Going past EDD

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor mentioned the risk of the baby passing meconium in utero as we passed the due date increases. He didn't seem too concerned, and said that he would let me go 10 days past my EDD (which is Saturday) But my DH brought it up again last night and seemed concerned about it. I didn't really know what to say to him. I know that my EDD is just an estimate, and all that.. and I told him a baby can pass meconium before it's DD... ? I know it's a serious thing to happen... and one that can't really be predicted or prevented, and I know that it is more likely in a "mature" baby...

Any thoughts/wisdom, ladies?

and introducing Julia Pearl
October 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went into labor the day after my due date, and had meconium in my fluid. My water started leaking about 3 hours after my contractions started. The baby was never in distress through out the entire 28 hours of labor, her heart rate never dropped too low or anything. When I saw the meconium in the fluid, I called the hospital and they had me come in right away to monitor me. It definitely wasn't the best decision on my part, but I had no idea what it could have meant, I'd just heard that it means the baby is in distress. I recently read an article that said that meconium in the fluid doesn't mean the baby is distressed, and that a surprisingly large number of women find that there is meconium in the their fluids when the water breaks. I really wish I could find that article again, does anyone on here know which one I was talking about? I most likely found it posted on this board at some time. I'll link to it if I happen to find it.
Anyway, I asked my midwife at my last appointment about it. She said that if I ever call to hospital, saying the same thing as last time, they're going to say to come in as a precaution. She told me though, that she would only tell me to come in if the meconium is thick. With DD, it was like greenish yellow floaties in the bottom of the toilet, so it was fairly diluted. If it's darker green/black, then I may want to come in.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

October 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
My doctor mentioned something about if it did happen, they could try to insert a tube into the uterus and try to flush out the fluid with meconium in it. I know that babies in distress are more likely to pass meconium... but I thought the major risk was the baby aspirating the meconium and it causing breathing problems.

October 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
This isn't the same article I found before, but it sums it up really well, and has some really good info! I think there's enough info there to make a somewhat educated decision of when to go into the hospital if this happens to you. I'm glad I found it!
"Meconium in the waters"

October 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Mama View Post
This isn't the same article I found before, but it sums it up really well, and has some really good info! I think there's enough info there to make a somewhat educated decision of when to go into the hospital if this happens to you. I'm glad I found it!
"Meconium in the waters"
Thank you for the article. It is very informative. I don't have to worry about whether or not I would transfer, as I am having a hospital birth with an OB.... It seems that meconium being passed is actually common at term, not just post term... It seems like one of those things that happens sometimes and just because they pass meconium, doesn't mean they will necessarily end up with Meconium Aspiration Syndrome.

I will be so glad to have Callen in my arms so I can stop worrying about all of these what if's... (I'll have a whole new set to worry about, I'm sure... such is the life of a mother)

October 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM
In my case, it wasn't worrying about transferring from one place to another (since I did a hospital birth last time, and plan to again), but it was a matter of when I went into the hospital. I was planning on laboring at home, but instead I ended up strapped to a bed.
I'm glad I got to read this article, because it'll help me make in informed decision about going in. Hopefully I can labor at home for longer this time.

October 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I actually don't know much about this, but thanks for that link Katy, I will post it in the subforum.

how is 10 days past your due date saturday? it says not even 40 weeks in your ticker.
October 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
I actually don't know much about this, but thanks for that link Katy, I will post it in the subforum.

how is 10 days past your due date saturday? it says not even 40 weeks in your ticker.
Oh I must've worded that weird, I meant my due date is saturday. They have me scheduled for a c-section if nothing has happened on Oct. 19th. I'm a VBAC and my doc won't induce.

October 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had meconium when my water broke and I was just a few days before my EDD. I guess had I been in the hospital at the beginning of labor, things could have been different, but I managed to get to the closest hospital with just minutes to spare. Abri didn't aspirate any of the meconium, but it did affect her apgar scores. No clue if she was in distress during labor (90 total minutes, 85 of which I was at home), but she was born rather grey and limp. They suctioned her out, wiped her off, and then decided she was perfectly fine and handed her back to me for skin to skin contact.

When my sister had her oldest, there was also meconium present and they took her to the NICU for 3 days. I don't think she aspirated it either, but it was a different hospital that's not as NCB-friendly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search