Sister Wives!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone watch this show?? Okay... we can start another thread about the actual show... but what I wanted to talk about here is the fact that this week Christine had her 6th baby. She had 5 home births and then decided to do the hospital thing this time and got an epi! I was really surprised... she did the opposite of what most do! But I guess they do home births for different reasons... the whole NOT going to jail thing. Did you watch it?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry didn't watch it... I have a hard time getting into reality shows...
October 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't watch it. There's just something about that show that I find REALLY weird. But I agree with you - that's just strange!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I watch it! I love learning about different ways people live. I have to admit, I was surprised how aware they are of how society views them. Not that polygamists are stupid, but I guess I pictured them to be a little more sheltered (maybe I've watched too many TV shows trying to depict polygamists). It's interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

I also thought it was funny that she had a hospital birth and seemed thrilled about the induction and epidural. It all seemed so novel to her, since it was never an option. I had no idea before that episode that they have to be so careful about who finds out they're polygamists.

October 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
I watch it! I love learning about different ways people live. I have to admit, I was surprised how aware they are of how society views them. Not that polygamists are stupid, but I guess I pictured them to be a little more sheltered (maybe I've watched too many TV shows trying to depict polygamists). It's interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

I also thought it was funny that she had a hospital birth and seemed thrilled about the induction and epidural. It all seemed so novel to her, since it was never an option. I had no idea before that episode that they have to be so careful about who finds out they're polygamists.
I want to know specifics of it. They all can't be legally married can they? The state of Utah wouldn't/couldn't issue multiple marriage licenses, right? So in that case if they are just getting married in the church, why is it illegal? By the letter of the law they are just "living together".

I was actually surprised at how "normal" they were as well. If I put my personal beliefs aside it would be kind of cool to have a couple women to always hang out with and share kid duty with. The hard part of being a SAHM is the isolation, so having a built in friend would be nice. They are raising good kids and aren't forcing them to continue with the lifestyle, they encourage them to make their own choices. I dunno... I thought it was going to be way weird, but it's strangely normal.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I watched it. I find it fascinating as well. I was also shocked she went to the hopsital and chose the induction and epi after having 5 home births. But I guess she had had a miscarriage before this pregnancy and was bleeding pretty badly, so she felt more comfortable in a hospital b/c of that and her age. From what they said, she might've had a hard time finding a midwife to take her on for another homebirth.

And from what I could figure out, he is only legally married to his first wife. The rest of the marriages are through the church only, so legally, he's not breaking the law. At least that's what I've heard/read.

October 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
how totally weird, I just read that this morning and was going to post asking if anyone knew why!
October 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I live in Utah. Most polygamist families have one legally recognized marriage or none. The state of Utah won't give multiple marriage licenses to one person, so they get "married" through the FLDS church. It's not a legal marriage though.

I have two big problems with polygamist groups: marriage to underage girls and the amount of young men that get thrown out of groups because the older male members don't want the competition for wives.

For the most part the polygamist families I've run in to are just normal people who live a little different and dress like it's 1890. They're quiet and keep to themselves, but are extremely polite when you get them talking!

Just my 2 cents!

October 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ Very interesting!

I think it'd be awesome to live with 3 other women and have the company and someone to watch the kids if I needed. Not so sure how cool I'd be if they were all sleeping with my husband. That must be really hard to get used to in the beginning.

October 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I also saw the episode and thought it was interesting that she chose an induction this time. It's certainly not a lifestyle I would choose for myself, but I find the show fascinating
October 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
I think it'd be awesome to live with 3 other women and have the company and someone to watch the kids if I needed. Not so sure how cool I'd be if they were all sleeping with my husband. That must be really hard to get used to in the beginning.
I've thought this myself. I hate cleaning. It'd be nice to have someone to share the household duties!

In most cultures that practice polygamy, the other wives have to approve of a potential wife. If they don't, the husband doesn't marry her. Some sects of Islam practice polygamy, but they are limited to only 4 wives. In the program I was watching, each wife had her own room, and the husband rotated each night (and didn't have his own room. I don't know why that made me giggle.)

I didn't watch SW though.

October 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Crap, I missed it!!! I love the show, lol
October 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I didn't see that episode. Dh and I watched most of the 20th anniversary episode. I thought it was very...telling how he thought the idea of his 1st wife being with another man would be vile and disgusting and it seemed like he didn't really appreciate the jealousy that she felt. Dh and I were joking about how taking a second wife comes up in conversation and I was like "the ring would be OFF, immediately, at even the suggestion". I just can't imagine sharing my husband. I'd rather spit shine a toilet at a gas station with my favorite clothes...and I hate cleaning.

Oh yeah, I grew up in Utah. We had a girl at our school who let it slip subtly that her family was a polygamist family. And then in high school there was a house a block away behind us (field between us) that we guessed was a polygamist family. There was one older man and lots of childbearing-aged women, a ton of kids, and the house was quite large.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search