Talk me back from the ledge please!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I know I am not on much, but I am thankful I have you all when I need some like minded friends!!

I have had both of my boys natural, no interventions, no pain meds... ya know all that good stuff...

As I have said before I am expecting twins and they won't let me deliver in water. Maybe that has demoralized me since DS 2 was the most AMAZING water birth. I had hopes of staying home and doing a water birth with pg #3, but now the twins thing has thrown me and I am seriously thinking I would like to get a walking epi. (I am delivering at a BC)
What are your thoughts? Feel free to talk me out of it!! I just feel tired and I have NO desire to go thru the "killer crowning pain" of birth (especially TWICE!). The pushing part of labor and crowning are just SO painful... it seems like it would be nice to "just enjoy" a little pain meds this time around! HELP!!

October 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Have you talked to other women who had a NCB with twins? maybe they can relay the pain with birthing 2 babies vs one. Someone just posted a birth story here about NCB of twins. Reread Ina May's book, it is always so empowering imo.

October 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Don't know if this is talking you our of it or not- but look into the other risks of an epi. There are a lot of downsides to one too. I caved after 19 hours of pit, and regret it. First one didn't work- went the wrong way, the second try both mine and babies heart rate dropped. Then it only lasted for about an hour.
I really fell back into my hypnobaby zone for the actual birth.

Overall you have to decide what is best for you and the twins.

October 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Have you talked to other women who had a NCB with twins? maybe they can relay the pain with birthing 2 babies vs one. Someone just posted a birth story here about NCB of twins. Reread Ina May's book, it is always so empowering imo.
I am a member of two twin communities online and too be honest I still have yet to hear from a mom that wanted and had a natural twin birth. I have been looking!

I have never read Ina May's book so I will buy it and read it. Thanks!

SamF
I did look up the risk of an epi, but I had some questions... I'll have to reread them to remember my Q's.

October 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll talk you down...

here's a good one: if you've never had an epi, you have no idea how you will react to it. COMMON side effects for Mom are nausea, vomiting, headache, convulsions. So crowning sucks, but trying to push while puking your brains out and shivering uncontrollably sucks way, way more. BTDT then had a natural birth....

October 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
You're more likely to tear or push ineffectively with an epi. If you tear your recovery will suck for much longer than the pushing stage. If you can't push effectively you might end up with a c-section. You might also have back pain and headaches from the epi.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
October 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Twins are usually pretty small at birth compared to singletons...remember that. You're probably looking at 6-6.5 pounds max...which after two singletons (one of which was humongous) sounds like cake to me! Crowning has got to be easier with tiny babies like that!

Also, this being your third birth, pushing time will probably be drastically reduced, even with twins. If your provider is willing to let you try it natural I say go for it! Your recovery is going to be soooooo much easier, it will be worth the pain at the time.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

October 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I always thought with twins that the second came pretty quickly after the first, leading me to believe they come out pretty easily. BUT I am not one to push people into things, if you want the epidural, I'm not going to talk you out of it!

There is a pretty cool interactive guide to interventions in the subforum you can check out if you want.
October 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is the post (recent post) of a mom's natural twin delivery!!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...-long-ago.html (Wanted to post long ago...)

I tell my DH after every birth that I am DONE having natural births and FOR SURE I'm getting an epi next time! But then I never do, because I love NCB. It's jsut a great experience you don't get a "do over" on.

I agree with Cheryl that I would think the second twin would come out easily. The first one probably stretches you so the 2nd doesn't need as much stretching done. Usually there is a couple years between crownings so your va-jay jay tightens up. I say go without!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM
noworries
KariRN just had twins naturally and she just introduced herself on this board. She might be a good resource for you.
October 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Super Mommy
THANK YOU!! You have all been so helpful! I PMed Kari I am sure she will be a great resource!
I don't know why I am being like this. DS #2 birth went so well! I was completely fine until pushing and even then I really only had 3-4 pushes. LOL, but after DS #1 I was wondering why ANY woman would EVER have another child! Babies just couldn't be worth all of that (he had a BIG head)... could they? YES they are!!
I am still not confidant, but I am feeling a bit better about everything.

October 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM
us_four's Avatar Kristian... mommy of 2!!!
just try to go natural. do what you can. just remember what ever decision you make that you are a good mom

October 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend who had her twins naturally (at home!). She loved that she was able to do it naturally, her first twin was a breech and second was posterior and while it wasn't an easy labor she made it through with the support of her midwives and doula. Maybe do a search on youtube for natural twin birth? There might be some videos or photo slideshows that will help.

October 17th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Hi! Unfortunately I am not allowed to use links until I have 10 posts, so this is a bit awkward.

There is a wonderful forum thread at mothering dot com that is exactly about natural birth of twins! You can find it by searching on google for "Please share your natural twin birth experiences".

Also, there is an inspirational video on YouTube called Natural Childbirth of Twins and Triplets that might help uplift your spirits.

The very best of luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search