O/T dressing for winter

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you dress a 1 year old to "play" outside in the winter?

Someone gave us a snow suit, but I picture Levi being like Ralphie from A Christmas Story if he ever wore it. I want him to be able to move, but be warm at the same time. Whatever I get, I'd like it to be gender neutral and something that will last for a few more kids. At this age, did you get something with booties attached, or get separate boots?

Last winter we layered... he wore, babylegs, a onesie, feetie PJ's, booties, a thin baby snowsuit, a jacket, and a hat. He was so little, I have to share the pics. He loved being outside... getting ready, not so much.

October 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm assuming you have snow. In which case I am NO help! When it snowed here in Seattle, we sent our DD out in thick socks and rain boots!

I would think layering... like thermals and fleeces. Then just a light waterproof layer on the outside.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we're having the same issues with Brylie - we don't have snow *yet* but i know we will in less than a month

We bought her some thick thermal like shirts at once upon a child, and are trying to figure out shoes..she can only walk in robeez and obviously those aren't suitable snow playing shoes! i dont want to put her in hard soles yet

as far as a snow suit - i think we'll get her something but only use it when it's bitter cold out (shes a weirdo and LOVES the cold) - not her mom's daughter lol - otherwise, im in the same boat as you!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Levi looked so cute in the snow last year! I'm no help....I live in Florida, and we wear leather jackets when it hits 50 degrees!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I cant help but cringe thinking of shoving his little foot into a hard soled boot. I remember having to do that with the kids I nannied and it always felt like I was about to break their ankles trying to get their feet all the way in. Levi doesn't walk yet, but he will soon, and he's only worn Robeez.

October 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last winter Jacob was just under a year old.. He was interested in being outside, but not so much in playing in the snow at all. I think he just wanted to watch the snow fall.

What we did was find fleece lined pants that had the outer material like wind pants material, so it was more likely to be water resistant. We put thermals on under that (or footed pj's would be good too). I found soft soled leather booties at Target that were fleece lined as well. Look in the actual baby section by their bottles/nuks/bibs etc. Then we had a fleece lined coat similar to the pants. Put a long sleeved shirt under that, usually a thermal. Found some lined mittens that had the water resistant material outside. We would put the cloth mittens under those if it was really cold. Then we had a hat with the little ear flaps, it was also fleece lined.

We did this in Minnesota. We're in Wisconsin now and might have to find a different game plan this year. Jacob is almost two though so he might do just fine in a snow bib and jacket with normal boots. Look at children's consignment or thrift places if you have trouble finding stuff for younger kids. I noticed at most chain retail places all I could find for a year and under was the bulky fleece junk that wasn't water resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
we're having the same issues with Brylie - we don't have snow *yet* but i know we will in less than a month

We bought her some thick thermal like shirts at once upon a child, and are trying to figure out shoes..she can only walk in robeez and obviously those aren't suitable snow playing shoes! i dont want to put her in hard soles yet

as far as a snow suit - i think we'll get her something but only use it when it's bitter cold out (shes a weirdo and LOVES the cold) - not her mom's daughter lol - otherwise, im in the same boat as you!
Check Target! I had a lot of luck there. I think a friend of mine also spotted some on Old Navy's website. They're like robeez, but they're off brand. They were thicker leather soles, leather outside and some kind of fleece material inside. The ones I had anyway. Target also had some that looked like cowboy boots last year. They may not be as water resistant, but they dry fast.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
We'll have a newborn this winter! We've got thick fleece sleep sacs, a couple of tiny snow suits, a sleep sac thing for the carseat, and one of those carseat covers with the flap that opens. When I'm able I will be picking up my boy at school and you have to stand out in the freezing and wait, so I'll have to keep her super bundled!

[url=http://lilypie.com]
October 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I loved our Bundle Me. It kept him nice and toasty. DH and I joked about putting him back in his infant carseat so we could use it again. I wish they had one for adults!

October 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the tip, Caelen!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
aww Levi looks so happy in the snow!!!

when Sarah was that age she wore robeez style boots and a fleece snow suit thingy with hand and foot flaps that could be folded over her hands and feet (and shoes). the fleece was warm, but not too bulky. and even though she could walk, she really hated walking in the snow at that age so i didn't really have to worry about "real" shoes. she also wore baby legs under her pants on days that is was cold but not cold enough for a snow suit, or she wore fleece lined jeans that were super warm. the fleece snow suit was from LL BEan and i looked at the ones they have this year and they don't have the hand and foot flaps any more, and that seems to be everyone's complaint in the reviews.
Trail Model Fleece Coveralls: Jackets and Parkas at L.L.Bean

this is the one Sarah had, but her's was purple and blue

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
October 14th, 2010, 11:16 AM
^^ I like that! That's more of what I was thinking, then layering under and using a jacket over if needed. That sucks they don't have the foot and hand flaps. Sarah's looks more whimsy than their new model, too. I wonder if it's still worth it without the covers.

October 14th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hi-Loft Fleece Coveralls: Jackets and Parkas at L.L.Bean <- this one goes up to 18 months and has the hand and foot covers.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
October 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to admit that this thread has made me appreciate living in FL soooo much more than I already do!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
^i love having a change of seasons, but dressing a baby in the winter sucks!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
October 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Fleece is a good choice for car rides too, since winter coats are not safe.
October 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to get crackin' on making a car seat cover for both DS's convertible seat and the new baby's infant seat since we're forecasted for snow within the next week and we'll still have snow in March. I didn't need them much in MN, but might here. We usually just did really light fleece jackets (just the fleece layer) over a long sleeved shirt, then we kept a blanket in the car for DS. Since I warm up the car before leaving it wasn't usually a big deal.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Just one thing to keep in mind... thick/fluffy winter coats and bundle me car seat covers are NOT safe. They are great for putting on outside of the car or in the stroller, but not in the carseat.

we generally layer - long sleeve onesie, long sleeve tee, fleece jacket. My kids have always been fine even with our single degree temps in winter. If we are going to play outside we bring along a thicker jacket though.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, I know the fluffy coats are no good for the car seats. Someone gave us a big, poofy coat and I'm thinking "How many uses would he even get out of that, since he can't wear it in the car??" We're returning it and the snowsuit to get something he can use more.

October 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I found some of those fleece coveralls (with the mittens and footies) at Ross for 7.99 and 9.99 per pair! I grabbed a couple of them. Might be worth checking there and places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. (I do 90% of my shopping at those )

October 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ya, I live in Quebec. There is only one place in the whole world that gets yuckier than here in the winter, and it's Siberia. In my experience, it's all about layers. So diaper, onesie (long-sleeved), jammie with feet, then clothes (fleece pants if you have them), then a thin fleece one piece suit like the one pictured above. Double socks or thick socks. Layer the mittens too. Shoes, or boots if they're walking. That's good for getting in and out of the car. If you're going out for a walk in the sled or stroller, add an outer one-piece snowsuit that is waterproof, and if it's really cold, blankets. Mia couldn't move much when she was one (born in January) but at least she was warm! About the boot thing, I would love a soft boot if I can find one, but I'll go with stiff boots if I can't. Better to be warm than comfy, if you have to choose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search