Gestational Diabetes and a natural birth.....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
I posted this in the Gestational Diabetes forum as well, but hopefully can get some positive responses here. I want to have a natural birth in the hospital, and have been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes and an U/S in week 32 told us that baby is big (95 percentile). So I could really go for some success stories right about now!!!
October 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Something to remember is that the U/S for sizing the baby aren't really that accurate. So he might not be as big as they are saying he is..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
October 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM
azaelia's Avatar Veteran
^^ What she said!

October 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
1. U/S is not always accurate... in my 34th week I was told my baby was 7lbs 3oz, I delivered at 38 weeks a 7lb 1oz baby... I was dx with GD in my 13th week...

2. The GD test has a 74% innaccuracy rate, so even though I failed my tests, I still don't believe I had GD...

I delivered my baby without a problem... even if your baby is "big" you CAN DO IT!!! If you truly do hav GD just watch your carb intake and up your protein intake... the last couple of months are when baby really puts on the weight but as long as you watch your carbs you will have no issue...

This was the one thing with my OB and MW that upset me the most! When I was diagnosed with GD EVERY other appointment with my OB I was constantly reminded that I would need a c-section because I have GD and that my baby was going to be big, have shoulder dystocia and macrosomia... my baby had NONE of them....

Look in the stickies for info on GD if need be...
October 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I saw you posted in the big baby thread in the subforum, check out the GD thread that MedicBaby made. Good info.

My best advice is watch your eating, reference the brewer pregnancy diet. Avoid any more ultrasounds! Stay active. Stay informed and take part in your care. Don't let others make the choices for you! Have you read the thinking woman's guide to a better birth?

sorry, holding baby
October 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
THANK YOU!!! It is really reassuring to hear those things. I do know that the u/s can be off and the docs. like to scare you, but one can only be so strong and not listen to them for so long! I am now watching my carbs like crazy, but its funny that the info sheet that was given to me about diet recommends 2-3 servings of carbs PER MEAL, which to me is a lot of carbs... I would be upping my normal servings to match that. My numbers have subsequently followed. So now I'm reducing the amount of carbs I eat and my numbers are lower, and that can't be bad?

Anyway, the positive stories are great
October 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to give you some encouragement! An NCB with a big baby is totally doable. My daughter was born at 40w 2d & was 9lbs 15ozs. Try not to get to stressed about baby's size, that will only make these last few weeks harder than they need to be.
October 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree 100% with Tiki. They're not always accurate. I was told my son would be almost 8lbs. He was a wopping 6lbs 8oz. I guess there WAS an 8 somewhere in there..right? lol

I didn't know about the GD test inaccuracy. Imo that test is so ridiculous. I understand the importance of knowing, I just fail to see where having a pregnant woman fast for 10+ hours then having her chug flat orange soda (and gross orange soda at that!) is effective.. blech.

As far as big babies go- My MIL is 5'3" and has always been a thin woman as long as I have known her. She's also been thin in all the photos I've seen. Her boys were 9lbs 10oz then 10lbs 8oz. She did birth them naturally! I'm a firm believer that our bodies don't grow what we can't birth in terms of size.

Sending you easy and fast labor dust You can do it!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
The Diet
October 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks, moon~maiden, I have printed off the info and will try to follow that diet. It sounds a bit better than the one I was given (and healthier, imagine that, I got it from a hospital....).

And thanks everyone for more positive stories!
October 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I think the most important points are LOTS of protein (cottage cheese, raw almonds and hard boiled eggs were my fave ways to get it) and water, and staying away from white breads, pastas and rices.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search