I don't get it...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A lot of the women in my PR are giving their babies food (rice cereal, fruit, etc) already. It just seems really rushed to me, like they're forcing it. I look at Avery (she was 3 months on Oct 14th) & I KNOW she's not ready for real food yet. Not even close. She's growing like a little weed on just breast milk.

I pumped & gave Ethan milk with rice starch in it at 4 months, but that was only because he had severe reflux. He was spitting-up so much of the milk it was affecting his weight gain. The rice starch really helped & he started to gain weight again. Other than something like that, I just do not understand the rush.
October 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bry didn't start solids until she was almost 9m old - she just wasn't ready. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to start solids early with the belief that it will help the child sleep longer and nurse less. I don't get it either.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also think a lot of people just get excited about doing it and a lot of doctors say it's okay at 4 months. Personally I don't want to rush my little girl's growing up!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
To each is their own... Noelle is almost 11 months and She still mainly breastfeeding... I still can't get her to take solids!!!! And she has been growing just fine...

I first gave Noelle a taste of rice at roughly 5-6 months.. figures there was no point to continue since the majority never made it to her belly...
October 18th, 2010, 04:41 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Our PR was like that. Around 2 months, maybe even earlier, there was this whole rice in the bottle movement to get hte babies to sleep longer. It was pretty sad. As host of the breastfeeding board, there are a lot of people, and their doctors, who think food at 3 or 4 months is great, but the research out there really pushes to wait until at least 6 months, unless there is a medical reason like severe reflux. We thought DD was ready for food at 4 months, showing all the "signs" of being ready. We waited until 6 and it turned out she was just curious more than wanting to eat it. She did not really eat much (though it was offered daily) until 10 months and only recently is she eating any quantity.

October 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems like people are doing it earlier and earlier. I have people who think they should give their 2 week old food. It boggles my mind. DS1 wasn't ready until 8 months, and DS2 was ready at 6 months, which made me sad a little, but he was literally lunging at my food for a whole month and getting really upset when others ate because no one would give him any. However, he eats like 3 bites twice a day and that's it. He's happy with that and hasn't affected his milk intake at all.
October 18th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
You're not alone, I've noticed that too. I plan to skip cereals and purees altogether. He can start solids when he's old enough to pick at finger foods.
October 18th, 2010, 07:02 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
That is one of those things I really think have to do with the "JM affect" as I call it, although it is any message board. Just like lots of level tests and ultrasounds and inductions. People do these things without message boards too, but I think this is one of the side effects of the internet as it is today.

I will give Vivian something at 6 months like I did with Cadie, but if she is anything like her sister she will have very little interest until 10 months or so.
October 18th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We delay solids here.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

October 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've noticed that too. I know there's no way Vincent would be ready for solids this early. My MIL was asking about it last time we were there, saying "DD 1 started at cereal at 4 months" or something like that. I'm planning on waiting until at least 6 months to try anything.

October 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
Both DS and DD have rice cereal in their bottles b/c of reflux, and I just had to start Kendra on it too. I don't want to, but the Prevacid and small, more frequent feedings aren't helping. She still is having major reflux issues and her weight gain is being closely monitored. Other than that, I can not imagine giving anything until 6 months. I think DS and DD were both 6 months when we attempted a spoon and clsoer to 7 when I tried fruit. I'll do the same with Kendra. I think food before the age of 1 is more for the experience of using spoon and eating from utensils, not for nutrition. The bulk of nutrition should still be from BM or formula. I know people IRL who start solids early with the hopes of weaning from formula so they can stop buying it. That's just sad.

October 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I tried his first bites of food around 5 months 3 weeks- because we were going on vacation and I didn't want the first bite of food to be out in the middle of nowhere. He hated it. I had planned on skipping purees and cereal, but by 7 months he wanted food but had a horrible gag reflex so we started doing purees to get him past that. Now at 9 months he would prefer to have real food over anything else (he's my little veggie eater- will pick out the veggies around other stuff)
Never did do cereal.
All new research points to waiting till 6 months. Their little bodies just aren't ready for heavy solids (not talking about cereal added to bottles). And it also points to NOT helping them sleep at night.

October 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I tried to feed Tanith at about 4-5 mos, and she couldn't have cared less. She wasn't truly eating solids until about 10 mos, and pretty much went straight to table food. Tesla, on the other hand, started wanting bites by about 6 mos, so she was getting snacks by about 7 mos. We still BF almost exclusively at 10 mos, but I always give her bites of what I'm eating. As soon as I can get my dining room table cleared of sewing projects she'll be getting her own food. I've never understood the rush either, and to be honest, I'm too lazy to spoon-feed her. It's easier to wait until she can feed herself real food, and I don't have to take special food or equipment with me.

October 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
missmich
I've noticed it in my PR as well. Some women are thinking about adding rice cereal to their bottles so they can sleep longer. It kinda makes me mad at times and I have to bite my tongue and not say anything. At least not say anything that will get them all angry with me. Babies,especially little ones do wake up 1-4 times in the night time to eat or to get some comfort so we have to give that to them and we shouldn't do something to prevent them from getting that. I think you should expect the frequent wake ups with a new baby and just accept it.

My boy is breastfed and that's all he gets for now. I'm thinking I'd like to skip bottles and formula and go right to the sippy cup when I feel it's time for water and then start solids around 6 months. I may decide close to 4-5 months though if he shows he needs it then.
October 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I let my son try little tastes of things when he was 3.5 months old. He seriously wouldn't allow us NOT to...he was begging for stuff even that young. An early food stalker. He never really made solids a large part of his diet until around 11/12 months though, and for the few months leading up to that quite a few people criticized me for how "little" solids we were giving him. He liked to taste things, but not eat a whole lot of it. Now at nearly 15 months, he eats everything in sight. I don't see anything wrong with how we did things. I do think its wrong to start forcing your kid to eat XX amount of jarred foods, rice cereal, etc. each day, etc. before they're ready though, just because you're anxious to feed them solids or you're hoping to wean them off formula or BM early.

October 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My PR is the same. I agree with Cheryl, with the idea of the JM Effect. But I think it's also the fact that people just don't know any better. I didn't with my DD. I started her with solids at 4 months because I was excited and I thought everyone did that and her Ped said it was ok. I also started DS with ceral at 4 months. I knew it was a little early but I was having such a hard time with BF'ing and he seemed so happy with it!

I am planning on delaying solids with Kate. She is 4.5 months right now and I haven't tried anything yet. But she keeps dive bombing my food. She reaches out and grabs any glass I'm drinking out of or any food I'm holding. She tries to get it all in her mouth! I haven't researched it much, but it sure seems like she is ready. But maybe she is just curious like a PP has said. I might try giving her a taste of some foods soon, but she will still be mainly breast fed.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Super Mommy
I don't really understand the rush unless you are a first time parent and then it's just fun to see how they react. We wait until 10 months and even then we skip cereals!

October 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I also think a lot of people just get excited about doing it and a lot of doctors say it's okay at 4 months. Personally I don't want to rush my little girl's growing up!
That's how I've always felt, I was never in a rush to start them at 4 months. At that age they are still babies to me and I didn't feel either one of my girls were ready until much closer to 6 months. I see a lot of parents who not only offer them at that age, but really push it. I don't understand being in a rush for your baby to grow up, they grow too quickly as it is. I can understand being excited for milestones and new things, but we need to learn to just stop and smell the roses...live in and enjoy the moment for what it is instead of rushing things to happen.

Expecting baby #4!

October 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We must be in the same PR, lol.
I mean I researched everything while pregnant, I know why I want to wait....but this morning I found myself googling info about starting sooner than later because all of these people were talking about feeding.

Also, I didn't realize that you could put fruit juice in rice cereal instead of milk/formula.
October 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree with Cheryl, which is why I left the March board. Everyone seemed to copy each other in regards to everything, and I got the impression that a lot of first time moms were just excited to play mommy and hurry up with everything. Same with putting them in the Bumbo at 2 months, propping babies up with books and blankets to reach those entertainment chairs, making babies prop their bottles, etc. I couldn't bite my tongue anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search