fall/winter sickies (OT xp)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sarah has been sick 2x in a matter or 3 weeks. ugh! she was sick all last winter too. i have been lazy about giving her supplements because she hadn't gotten sick that much in the summer...but now it begins!

she takes-
1 drop - 400IU Vit D (carlson's baby D drops)
1/2 tsp elderberry syrup (gaia herbs brand)
1/4 tsp probiotics mixed in her yogurt (baby jarrodopholis)
1/2 tsp fish oil (nordic naturals strawberry flavor)

the chiro suggested colostrum powder, but i haven't bought any yet. i have been browsing vitacost.com trying to decide if i should get capsules with powder so i can take them too if i get sick, or just powder for her, or chewables...i'd hate to get chewables and she hate the taste or something. i am also wondering if i should start her on echinacea or zinc. she is very prone to upper respiratory infections. i meant to talk to the chiro about it today, but Sarah was very tired and cranky and crying the whole time and i could barely think straight so it slipped my mind.

so...what do you all give your kids to boost their immune system? (and how old are your kids?...Sarah is almost 3)

ETA: do you give them same supplements year round?
in addition, what do you give your kids if they get sick, on top of the supplements you already give them?
i suck and i really don't do much in the summer. she will get the occasional cold but for the most part, she is pretty healthy during the summer.
we give 1/2 tsp of elderberry syrup 2 or 3x a day if she is really sick, and add a few drops of eucalyptus EO to the humidifier in her room if she is congested, i also rub eucalyptus or ravensara EO on the bottom of her feet to help her breathe at night.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Last edited by horseradishmayo; October 20th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
October 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD is 8 years old. Since she was a baby she got a vit D supplement in the winter only (of course winter here is pretty much September to May). I used to only give her the paltry recommended 400 IU but I now give her 1000 IU a day, and am trying to find some research to figure out if that is enough. DS is 4 months old so he gets breastmilk I take 6400 IU of Vitamin D so that he gets his vit D in my milk.

Mia is very rarely sick. We are very lucky. If she does get the sniffles, like maybe once a year, we just ride it out. Maybe some Ibuprofen if she has a really high fever that's bugging her. If not then fluids and rest. I'm a huge believer in rest when you're sick, I'll keep her home from school at the first sign of trouble and make her sleep it off... As for DS, I hope he's the same way. So far he's had the sniffles once and all I did was rinse out his sinuses with a little warm salt water to help him breathe.

October 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I would definitely up the vitamin D. I get D3 in gummy form from Target, it has 1000IU. I'm not sure I would go over that with Walter.
October 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I don't think I would add anything else to her daily vitamin intake as far as herbs go. How about a multi? Maybe up her Vit D. Focus on keeping the house germ free, get 7th gen wipes and wipe down all the common surfaces that get handled a lot. Maybe get a diffuser and run oils to keep the air clean.

eta: did you ever get this book?

Amazon.com: Boost Your Child's Immune System: A Program and Recipes for Raising Strong, Healthy Kids (9781557046420): Lucy Burney, Noelle Sheehan, Richard L. Saphir M.D.: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

and this is a super book, my friend gave me. She is in ayurvedic medicine school.

Amazon.com: Perfect Health for Kids: Ten Ayurvedic Health Secrets Every Parent Must Know (9781556434778): John Douillard: Books

I would make sure she is getting lots of vit c foods every day too. Better an orange than orange juice, less added sugar.

(believe me, I have been thinking about all this myself a LOT lately)

Last edited by moon~maiden; October 21st, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search