Point me in the right direction!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
SaraB32's Avatar Kelsey's momma
Hello ladies! I'm entertaining the idea of a natural birth... and I say entertaining because I haven't told DH that I'm even thinking about it. I don't know how he'd feel about it... but that's for another day. Can someone give me some non-biased sites with good information? I want to be able to discuss this with him and have some good strong information for him. I feel like I can do this, like it's what I was meant to do.

Kelsey Jo
October 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that your DH shouldn't really have a say on how you give birth It's not his uterus contracting, or his vagina birthing

as far as non-biased sites, I think any site pertaining to natural birth that's really reliable is going to be deemed biased because they're usually pretty blunt. Epidurals do affect breastfeeding...epidurals do increase the risk of a c-section..epidurals do have long term effects on mom and baby...but to people who choose the epidural going into labor (sometimes epidurals become necessary and the benefits outweigh the risk) that seems very "biased" and they will say "well my baby is just fine" or "i had to have a c-section because my baby was too big so I'm glad I had the epidural already"..kwim?

there's a ton of great information out there - but it's all about how you receive it.

also, your doctor is going to have a HUGE impact on this. You should look into the midwives in Bellevue - they are fantastic (I used them with Bry and am happily back)..since youre commuting to Bellevue already, your chances are substantially better with a midwife, in my honest opinion (as long as you stay farrrr away from the methodist midwives).

anyway, PM me on FB if you have any specific questions. I'm on DH's computer so I can't send you any links I have saved now.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a study done on Epidural vs non-Epidural. It says that it increases the risk of instrumental delivery. Epidural versus non-epidural or no analgesia in labour

Here is a study of alternative birth setting (free standing birth center, or hospital that was more home-like and allowed natural childbirth) compared to normal hospital birth setting. Alternative versus conventional institutional settings for birth

Risks and Benefits to the Epidural
Epidural Anesthesia : American Pregnancy Association

Here is an article that talked about a study done to see how women remembered birth pain 2 months after birth, 1 year and then 5 years. The conclusion is that birth pain memory is determined on the satisfaction of birth. Women who had a good birth didn't think their birth pain was painful after birth. Women who had an epidural remember the birth pain as being really painful because they requested the epidural at the peak and never felt that natural decline. Birth pains - it gets better with time | Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

Article that discusses being upright instead of lying down in the first stage of labor.
RCOG statement on maternal position during the first stage of labour | Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

I have more studies and articles, but I'll dig them up later.
October 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi, welcome and congrats on your pregnancy! Please check out the subforum here (NCB information and articles of interest) for all sorts of good stuff.
October 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
I've gone from blind acceptance I'd have to have a c-section for this baby because my first was a c/s, to planning a VBAC, to planning a natural birth. My health issues played a big part in pushing me towards a NCB VBAC, and at first I was so scared. I started reading & researching like a mad woman, trying to cram all this info & knowledge & methods into my head & got myself pretty worked up - "there's too much I have to know!" I'm not saying we shouldn't educate ourselves with facts, but that maybe sometimes the direction we need to head is inward, into ourselves, what's already innately part of our minds, bodies, souls. It wasn't until I did that, that I came to peace with the idea of NCB, the birth process, and just trusting my body & baby to do it's thing. A balance of outside knowledge and inner knowledge & learning, I guess you could say. And sometimes you have to change direction, too, which can blindside you if you're not prepared - like me!- so I think flexible thinking helps with decisions too. The ladies on this board have been my greatest resource, beyond any book or factual links, because they are so willing to share what they themselves have learned and experienced through their own lives, and offer so much support & hope. It's reassuring to be connected with so many other moms who have been here, done it, and to learn how they did it. There's a part in the hypobirthing book I read that's become my mantra, about the power of simplicity vs. knowing all about childbirth anatomy, physiology, stages, potential complications, technology & medical practices . It's during a childbirth prep class, and there's an African man getting all worked up to the point she asks what's wrong, and he says "What ees all dees stuff? In Africa we doan have all dees stuff!! WE HAVE DE BABEE!!" It makes me laugh, loosens me up, helps me let go of thinking of this as some problem or procedure to overcome and reminds me that women all over the world have been birthing babies for centuries without some encyclopedia of labor in their heads, they have used their hearts & bodies & minds to just HAVE DE BABEE!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search