No epi & c-section question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I plan on asking this at my appointment next week but wondered if you ladies could shed some light.

With my spine fused there is a good chance an epi will not work and that the anesthesiologist may not even want to touch me, also if for some reason I got an infection there is a chance I would have to have more surgery to take the screws and rods out of my back. So even if I decide during labor I need pain meds I will not be receiving an epi.

But what happens if for some reason I have to have an emergency c-section. Do they have to knock me out?
October 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Unfortunatley yes. The typical anesthesia used it epidural or spinal anesthesia. The only other alternative is general.

October 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
yes they knock you out- I have rods on my spine (not fused but still pretty screwed up) and the epi after I caved did not work- I think a lot of it was because of my spine issues. I really wish I had stuck to my guns and refused it. (pitocin is EVIL).

I think part of the reason I caved was knowing that if I ended up in a c-section if the epi didn't work I was going to be knocked out and didn't want that to happen.

October 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Like the others said, the other option would be general anesthesia. In a vaginal birth situation there are other pain meds they could give you. I'm not sure of the name, there are a few different ones, but they will basically just take the edge off of the contractions. Every time you repeat dose with them though, they lose effectiveness according to the nurse I had with my first birth. I believe they generally don't want these meds hanging around when you're pushing, so if at all possible, they'll avoid that.

Try to think positive that things will go well!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search